Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

well this is ad afterall.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

andyjock will become famous soon enoughandyjock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by busybee2
well this is ad afterall.

True!!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:10 pm
you cant handle the truth

tonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nicetonyhenderson is just really nice
Cool Re: Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Originally Posted by andyjock
sorry did i ever say that i work for ALOR no NEVER, read back and get your facts right yourself. On my visa it says HOUSEWIFE
this whole thread makes me laugh with all the speculation and people trying to second guess how the JV works, whos on the beach etc etc, i could piece together all the relevant snippets people have eluded to and u still wouldn't get close to the full story[/QUOTE]

well said andyjock.

not sure what you mean there busybee
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

not sure what you mean there busybee[/QUOTE]

well yes it looked like you were saying that i worked for ALOR which i dont. but i do know a lot of people working for both companies and obviously they do talk....
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
not sure what you mean there busybee

well yes it looked like you were saying that i worked for ALOR which i dont. but i do know a lot of people working for both companies and obviously they do talk....[/QUOTE]

Whos both companies then Laings & Aldar?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes aldar and laingsorourke
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:38 pm
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Just to add to this, I previously posted regarding this (NOTE: this is entirely speculative as I don't work for Aldar/ALOR and told this by an Aldar employee).

My understanding is that the ALOR JV was set up as a vehicle for being a PMC for Al Raha, when the project got running as I understand it on a cost plus basis (this is speculative, confirmation anyone?), the JV didn't meet the Aldar management "expectations". A second contractor was introduced (Besix) and work was competively tendered. The change of thinking seems to co-incide with a change of high level management in the Aldar organisation.
I think you missunderstood something.
AFAIK, the ALOR JV for (parts of?) Al Raha Beach and the Aldar-Besix JV for parts of Yas were established around the same time in 2007, in 2008 a Aldar-Cebarco JV (for race track and maybe others) was established. Apart from that Aldar awarded many Yas jobs (roads, marinas, substations, hotels etc.) directly to various other contractors.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by str
I think you missunderstood something.
AFAIK, the ALOR JV for (parts of?) Al Raha Beach and the Aldar-Besix JV for parts of Yas were established around the same time in 2007, in 2008 a Aldar-Cebarco JV (for race track and maybe others) was established. Apart from that Aldar awarded many Yas jobs (roads, marinas, substations, hotels etc.) directly to various other contractors.
The JV for Al Raha Beach is ALOR (ALDAR and LOR), and are responsible for delivery of a number of the developments and some of the infastructure works. I am not to clear on the other JV's on Yas, but do know that some of the YAS projects and some of Al Raha beach are being delivered by other 1st Tier Contractors that are not part of either JV's that ALDAR are in.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andrewpops
IMHO, having worked with local main contractors, I can't see how LOR could possibly compete with low cost operations specifically the salary costs of employing a largely western ex pat management team.
IMHO, they compete by having staff ten times more competent that the rote learned Arabic and South Asian project managers in other organisations. Perhaps though they have "too many" highly paid western expats? This is my serious opinion on many people in the industry here holding responsible positions. Maybe here competency means a bit less than cost though?