Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Alcohol - That old chestnut

Alcohol - That old chestnut

Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:36 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by MataHari
you should get out more...
errr...how old are you...there is no history round
No, you misunderstand, if I bring a pensioner, do I get discount? If so, how many do I need to bring for a free beer?
How old am I, that's a bit personal. Old enough to drink and young enough to want to!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:39 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
No, you misunderstand, if I bring a pensioner, do I get discount? If so, how many do I need to bring for a free beer?
How old am I, that's a bit personal. Old enough to drink and young enough to want to!
oh lol...is that an English thing then...bring a pensioner and get a discount...
If you are good at guessing songs quickly, you can earn free drinks...and if we win we get drinks vouchers...yeah, it does seem a bit drink oriented doesn't it, for a pubquiz...
well, we will just have to guess your age if you show up then....we have done it before and that person is still very very unhappy...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:44 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
oh lol...is that an English thing then...bring a pensioner and get a discount...
If you are good at guessing songs quickly, you can earn free drinks...and if we win we get drinks vouchers...yeah, it does seem a bit drink oriented doesn't it, for a pubquiz...
well, we will just have to guess your age if you show up then....we have done it before and that person is still very very unhappy...
OK, sounds good. I'll try to be there on Monday. Only thing is, I'm very sensitive, so if you get my age wrong I might sulk.
Speaking of beer, I'm on my weekend and it's nearly 8 o'clock, well nearer 8 o'clock than noon! Have a good one. Cheers!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:46 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
OK, sounds good. I'll try to be there on Monday. Only thing is, I'm very sensitive, so if you get my age wrong I might sulk.
Speaking of beer, I'm on my weekend and it's nearly 8 o'clock, well nearer 8 o'clock than noon! Have a good one. Cheers!
oh you'll sulk ok..
cheers...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice

Originally Posted by jvr20
On official business where it's a matter of beaureaucracy, we're the same as other white nationals of Western nations, e.g. getting a driving licence, visa issues etc.

In matters of day to day living we're judged on how we dress, speak and act. When I'm wearing a suit and surrounded by whites, I'm treated as a European. Wearing chappals and T-shirt at the airport, I am manhandled and barked at in appallingly bad, insulting Hindi/Urdu by the security staff. "Bai. ruk ja. idhar aa. yeh nikaal. voh nikaal. aa-aa." Oh and be prepared to be turned away by overbearing doorstaff at clubs too. "Members only tonight".

I've had enough of it - good luck to you.
Ah, that sounds a bit pants. Don't much fancy walking around in a linen suit with a cravat on my days off! Sorry to hear it. How long have you been out there if you don't mind me asking.

I've seen other posts about the "member's/couples only" line which bouncers use. I guess going out in a mixed crowd is the only way around that although I'm not sure how much late night clubbing i'll be doing anyway given the hours I'll be expected to work.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I know several people like you here and it's nigh on impossible for them to get booze licenses. You will be able to drink in bars and buy booze in other emirates but you will be taking a (small) risk.

Keep in mind there are many Arab christians so if you name might not be an issue.

Aside from changing your name I am not sure what you can do to lower the risk of being investigated (which you don't want). Dubai's not all it's cracked up to be...have a look at other options too.

N.
Thanks for the info (albeit not great news )!

When you say "investigated" - is that something that happens at the stage you apply for a booze licence or if you are caught drinking without a licence?

Also, do you need a licence to drink in a, say, hotel bar or only to buy booze from a store?

The responses so far have been very helpful in building up a picture of life out there so thanks to all. Maybe I should learn how to make moonshine at home !!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L1bel
Ah, that sounds a bit pants. Don't much fancy walking around in a linen suit with a cravat on my days off! Sorry to hear it. How long have you been out there if you don't mind me asking.

I've seen other posts about the "member's/couples only" line which bouncers use. I guess going out in a mixed crowd is the only way around that although I'm not sure how much late night clubbing i'll be doing anyway given the hours I'll be expected to work.
been out here zackly 18 months... and not much longer, i've just had enough of the whole caboodle.

then again, there are many pigment enhanced folk out here, from both east and west, who enjoy a good night life, out all the time, so don't get me wrong, it does happen. I've only actually been turned away once (I was with a crowd from these boards, i had dropped some of them at the door and gone to park, and when I came back suddenly they were enforcing the 'members only' rule - the English manager i spoke to quickly changed his tune when one of the young ladies off here spoke to him, firstly denying that i was denied entry and only that i was asked to pay a nominal cover charge - not true - and then graciously waiving the cover charge, but that wasn't the point)

Remember that particular venue has a reputation for that kind of thing, and I hardly ever go out anyway, so you can't take that as normal, necessarily.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Nope...it's a lack of belief. In order to be a religion it would need certain tenets, doctrines etc - as it stands all one needs to be in a Atheist is no belief in any god or gods.

N.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:27 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
do they recognise the pre-Islamic Arab religion/life/culture as such?
They barely recognise pre-Islamic culture at all. And when they do it's all "ghastly idol worshipping pagans" type thing (just like Christians do in Europe and other parts of the world.

They have to do that to stop people studying it too deeply and uncovering the roots of the current popular belief...

N.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by L1bel
Thanks for the info (albeit not great news )!

When you say "investigated" - is that something that happens at the stage you apply for a booze licence or if you are caught drinking without a licence?

Also, do you need a licence to drink in a, say, hotel bar or only to buy booze from a store?

The responses so far have been very helpful in building up a picture of life out there so thanks to all. Maybe I should learn how to make moonshine at home !!
Normally investigation is done when applying for the license (all they check is if you are Muslim or not usually) but if you are caught drinking and driving, being drunk or drinking in public places or having massive boozefests at your house disturbing all the neighbours you may find their investigations a bit more thorough!

You'll be quite fine drinking in bars - you only need a booze license to buy drink from the booze shops...and if you keep drink at home regularly it's definately a good idea to have booze license as it's technically illigal (but I'm sure a bottle of wine from Duty Free won't be an issue!).

N.