Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Alcohol - That old chestnut

Alcohol - That old chestnut

Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Hi L1bel

Sometimes its better not to burn bridges without seeing the bridge - you never know when you may need to cross it quickly. I also think that having a network of any kind - cyber or real can get issues/questions cleared very quickly.

Bijilo123 is a great guy - he has answered any/all of my PMs really quickly - usually within a day and since he is from the UK i do not have to explain in great detail what i need help on

Just my $2 of Lehmans stock (which probably is enough to buy the company !!)
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Put down jedi as religion, that is universal
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Put down jedi as religion, that is universal
that's just what [a friend] did on the 2001 census form (remember, there was that email forward doing the rounds saying - incorrectly - that if a certain number of individuals - i think ten thousand - professed to any given religion then it would have to be acknowledged by the government)

what can i say? [my friend] was a student!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thinkingaboutit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jvr20
that's just what [a friend] did on the 2001 census form (remember, there was that email forward doing the rounds saying - incorrectly - that if a certain number of individuals - i think ten thousand - professed to any given religion then it would have to be acknowledged by the government)

what can i say? [my friend] was a student!
My friend did this too.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Hi L1bel

Sometimes its better not to burn bridges without seeing the bridge - you never know when you may need to cross it quickly. I also think that having a network of any kind - cyber or real can get issues/questions cleared very quickly.

Bijilo123 is a great guy - he has answered any/all of my PMs really quickly - usually within a day and since he is from the UK i do not have to explain in great detail what i need help on

Just my $2 of Lehmans stock (which probably is enough to buy the company !!)
Hi UKCityGent

Thanks for your message. I don't doubt that you may have received some valuable advice from Bijilo123 but I remain totally mystified why there was a need to suggest I seek medical help in response to (what I thought was) a perfectly legitimate query!!!! Before posting, I had run a search on the forum as well as having searched the internet for a number of days but the purpose of posting the question here was to find out the difference between the letter of the law and the reality. And also to make connections with helpful individuals!

There is of course a wider issue which I am interested in - which is to what extent do the experiences of people of Pakistani/Indian/Bangladeshi descent differ from those of Caucasians? I have seen the phrase "second class citizens" banded around on various forums hence the question.

If you have any insights on this issue (or on the original question), then I would be most grateful to hear from you. (And from Bijilo123 for that matter - provided he doesn't suggest I see a shrink this time ).

Best
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Do NOT put your faith down as 'agnostic'......

........ no such thing out here............
on my form I just put 'none' under religion.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Don't you think you should seek medical help if drinking is such a compulsion with you?
medical help as in whisky?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:03 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by L1bel
Hardly a compulsion, Bijilo. Just want to be fully informed about what the position would be if I decided to make the move. At no point did I suggest that I would not move if I couldn't have the drink but not being able to have even an occasional drink for a 3yr + period is a lifestyle choice.

Don't you think you should be using your time more productively instead of posting unhelpful responses to genuine queries?
nowt wrong with that, If I couldn't drink, as in saudie, kuwait etc I dounbt I'd go - it may sound a bit sad but hey, I bet there's more than a few of us would be the same.

After a hard days work, get home and its nice and hit, nowt better than a lovely cool beer.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:04 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
No, my point is valid. We cannot advise you to say something that is not true. But I can't be bothered with you either so I'll discontinue remarking.
you're a bit of a grumpy ****er aren't you?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
on my form I just put 'none' under religion.
Thanks, Spugsy. It's good to know that is an option!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:09 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Thanks, Spugsy. It's good to know that is an option!
a girl I work with was amazed by that, she said she had 'never met an aethiest in her life'.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

In which case do you think I should just put down another of the main religions? Or Mormon?!
Jedi knight, FSM? Is Atheism a religion?

http://www.venganza.org/

http://www.themonastery.org/catalog/...ate-p-237.html
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
nowt wrong with that, If I couldn't drink, as in saudie, kuwait etc I dounbt I'd go - it may sound a bit sad but hey, I bet there's more than a few of us would be the same.

After a hard days work, get home and its nice and hit, nowt better than a lovely cool beer.
totally agree, Rogers Ted is a bit out of order, its a massively important question with lifestlye implications
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

There is of course a wider issue which I am interested in - which is to what extent do the experiences of people of Pakistani/Indian/Bangladeshi descent differ from those of Caucasians? I have seen the phrase "second class citizens" banded around on various forums hence the question.

Best
On official business where it's a matter of beaureaucracy, we're the same as other white nationals of Western nations, e.g. getting a driving licence, visa issues etc.

In matters of day to day living we're judged on how we dress, speak and act. When I'm wearing a suit and surrounded by whites, I'm treated as a European. Wearing chappals and T-shirt at the airport, I am manhandled and barked at in appallingly bad, insulting Hindi/Urdu by the security staff. "Bai. ruk ja. idhar aa. yeh nikaal. voh nikaal. aa-aa." Oh and be prepared to be turned away by overbearing doorstaff at clubs too. "Members only tonight".

I've had enough of it - good luck to you.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:27 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by jvr20
On official business where it's a matter of beaureaucracy, we're the same as other white nationals of Western nations, e.g. getting a driving licence, visa issues etc.

In matters of day to day living we're judged on how we dress, speak and act. When I'm wearing a suit and surrounded by whites, I'm treated as a European. Wearing chappals and T-shirt at the airport, I am manhandled and barked at in appallingly bad, insulting Hindi/Urdu by the security staff. "Bai. ruk ja. idhar aa. yeh nikaal. voh nikaal. aa-aa." Oh and be prepared to be turned away by overbearing doorstaff at clubs too. "Members only tonight".

I've had enough of it - good luck to you.
sorry to hear that mate, sounds like a bit of a ****er.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.