Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Alcohol - That old chestnut

Alcohol - That old chestnut

Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:42 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Alcohol - That old chestnut

Hello all

I am a new joiner who is currently weighing up the prospects of moving to Dubai. This is an excellent forum to conduct research but there is one issue on which I am not quite clear.

Booze - I'm aware of the requirement for ex-pats to obtain a licence but here's the kicker....although I'm born and raised in England, I'm of Muslim descent. From what I can find out so far, the alcohol licence is only available to non-muslims.

So my question is effectively - Are there any ways around this so I can be treated just like any other expat?!

I have seen references to having to register if you are a muslim but I would put my faith down as Agnostic and hope to get a licence that way. Although my name (and face!) would give it away, I'm wondering how strictly this aspect of the law is enforced against non-practicing muslims!

Any help would be much appreciated. don't much fancy going on the wagon for a few years!
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:45 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by L1bel View Post
Hello all

I am a new joiner who is currently weighing up the prospects of moving to Dubai. This is an excellent forum to conduct research but there is one issue on which I am not quite clear.

Booze - I'm aware of the requirement for ex-pats to obtain a licence but here's the kicker....although I'm born and raised in England, I'm of Muslim descent. From what I can find out so far, the alcohol licence is only available to non-muslims.

So my question is effectively - Are there any ways around this so I can be treated just like any other expat?!

I have seen references to having to register if you are a muslim but I would put my faith down as Agnostic and hope to get a licence that way. Although my name (and face!) would give it away, I'm wondering how strictly this aspect of the law is enforced against non-practicing muslims!

Any help would be much appreciated. don't much fancy going on the wagon for a few years!
you might have problems getting a licence but you can go to other emirates and buy booze there. not strictly legal but widely done
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:47 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
you might have problems getting a licence but you can go to other emirates and buy booze there. not strictly legal but widely done
That would be fine for drinking at home but I'm guessing it means I wouldn't be able to get a drink in a hotel bar or restaurant?!
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:50 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by L1bel View Post
That would be fine for drinking at home but I'm guessing it means I wouldn't be able to get a drink in a hotel bar or restaurant?!
no you'll be fine...muslim guys in national dress drink openly in bars and restaurants here...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:52 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Do NOT put your faith down as 'agnostic'......

........ no such thing out here............
The Dean is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:54 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa View Post
no you'll be fine...muslim guys in national dress drink openly in bars and restaurants here...

MM, xx
Well that's some comfort, thanks MM!
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:56 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lagrange 2
Posts: 1,507
Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Don't you think you should seek medical help if drinking is such a compulsion with you?
Bijilo123 is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:57 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Do NOT put your faith down as 'agnostic'......

........ no such thing out here............
Ah, thanks for the tip!!

I'm reluctant to put down Muslim as that would completely prevent me from getting a licence (as I understand it). And if do put down Muslim but later get pulled up by an over-zealous official for having a drink in a bar, then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. In which case do you think I should just put down another of the main religions? Or Mormon?!
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:57 pm
  #9  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by L1bel View Post
Well that's some comfort, thanks MM!
yes...we always find it a comforting sight as well...if they are goodlooking that is...
MataHari is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 View Post
Don't you think you should seek medical help if drinking is such a compulsion with you?
Hardly a compulsion, Bijilo. Just want to be fully informed about what the position would be if I decided to make the move. At no point did I suggest that I would not move if I couldn't have the drink but not being able to have even an occasional drink for a 3yr + period is a lifestyle choice.

Don't you think you should be using your time more productively instead of posting unhelpful responses to genuine queries?
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:01 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lagrange 2
Posts: 1,507
Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by L1bel View Post
Ah, thanks for the tip!!

I'm reluctant to put down Muslim as that would completely prevent me from getting a licence (as I understand it). And if do put down Muslim but later get pulled up by an over-zealous official for having a drink in a bar, then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. In which case do you think I should just put down another of the main religions? Or Mormon?!
You could try telling the truth. We cannot advise you to lie to a government.
Bijilo123 is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:02 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
yes...we always find it a comforting sight as well...if they are goodlooking that is...
Yes, I suppose a a grizzly bear with a pint isn't the most appealing of sights!
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:06 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 View Post
You could try telling the truth. We cannot advise you to lie to a government.
Still not found anything better to do I see!

To clarify, I am not asking for advice about how to lie to the Government but there is a difference between what is technically illegal and what is, in practice, permitted or tolerated. The purpose of the query is simply to try and get some clarity on where the boundaries lie on this particular issue. I don't think someone who comes on this forum for this purpose deserves or needs your pointless remarks.
L1bel is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:09 pm
  #14  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Lagrange 2
Posts: 1,507
Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

No, my point is valid. We cannot advise you to say something that is not true. But I can't be bothered with you either so I'll discontinue remarking.
Bijilo123 is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:14 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
L1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really niceL1bel is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol - That old chestnut

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 View Post
No, my point is valid. We cannot advise you to say something that is not true. But I can't be bothered with you either so I'll discontinue remarking.
Well that's a relief. Pity you couldn't resist your eristic urges in the first place, though. Good day to you.
L1bel is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.