British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   alcohol to "dry" country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/alcohol-dry-country-820149/)

BigDan Jan 3rd 2014 7:31 pm

alcohol to "dry" country

Hi,
I was wondering if there has ever been any success story of people bringing alcohol successfully into a "dry" country. I am not talking about a whole collection, I am actually talking about a nice bottle of wine, which has more sentimental value than actual value.
Shipping via post, "forgetting" in luggage, etc. I have one bottle of wine, which I would like to desperately get into Doha.
Any ideas? Befriend a Qatari diplomat is unfortunately not on my list :-)

Blue Cat Jan 4th 2014 3:22 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country

leave it at home :)

NorthernLad Jan 4th 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by BigDan (Post 11061661)
Hi,
I was wondering if there has ever been any success story of people bringing alcohol successfully into a "dry" country. I am not talking about a whole collection, I am actually talking about a nice bottle of wine, which has more sentimental value than actual value.
Shipping via post, "forgetting" in luggage, etc. I have one bottle of wine, which I would like to desperately get into Doha.

Forget about any sentimentalities when moving out here. Drink the wine and move on.

Kix Jan 4th 2014 3:59 am

Realistically, only way would be to "forget" it in a container of household effects.

Forget about taking it through the airport.

Beakersful Jan 4th 2014 5:07 am

I always get momentarily excited whenever I see "duty free" signs. Then remember where I am.......

Johnnyboy11 Jan 4th 2014 6:42 am

Your hand baggage will be scanned for alcohol on arrival at Doha Airport, just before you enter the baggage reclaim area. So don't risk that route.

The Dean Jan 4th 2014 6:57 am

Originally Posted by BigDan (Post 11061661)
Hi,

I'd be fascinated to discover how a single bottle of wine acquired such enormous 'sentimental' value that you'd want to bring it to the Middle East at all........... wouldn't it be safer left somewhere at home, pending your return to be reunited with it at a later date?

BigDan Jan 4th 2014 7:45 am

Thanks for the answers.
It looks like I will drink the wine prior to departure and take the empty bottle with me. I guess its about the compromise :-)

OleJanx Jan 4th 2014 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BigDan (Post 11062192)
Thanks for the answers.
It looks like I will drink the wine prior to departure and take the empty bottle with me. I guess its about the compromise :-)

Even the empty bottle could cause you grief in Doha.

lostinthedust Jan 4th 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11062328)
Even the empty bottle could cause you grief in Doha.

An acquaintance in Riyadh brought an empty bottle in, a pretty one to use as a decoration. It was found, confiscated, and her bags were then subsequently searched everytime she entered the country.

BigDan Jan 5th 2014 8:09 am

OK, I guess I get over my bottle and just finish it before throwing it in the garbage :-(

Markie Jan 5th 2014 8:11 am

Originally Posted by BigDan (Post 11063555)
OK, I guess I get over my bottle and just finish it before throwing it in the garbage :-(

Is there anyone in the UK who would store it for you until you return?

Ronnie Biggs Jan 5th 2014 8:50 am

Originally Posted by BigDan (Post 11063555)

How did you get so attached to a bottle? Does it have a close friend's ashes stitched into the label?

Millhouse Jan 5th 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 11063594)
How did you get so attached to a bottle? Does it have a close friend's ashes stitched into the label?

You always remember your first ;)

http://www.pharside.co.uk/wp-content...ay-450x212.jpg

BigDan Jan 5th 2014 7:44 pm

Hahaha, almost... But no.

It would go into relationship drama. Emphasis on the word drama! :-)