Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Alcohol consumption

Alcohol consumption

Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alcohol consumption

Following on from the thread that ALEXALEXA did, i'm a little confused by what people have replied and being a freshie to Dubai I'm still not clear what is allowed and not allowed where alcohol is concerned.

If you go to a restaurant/bar and have alcohol is that ok, regardless of whether your a tourist or not?

If your family and friends come over and bring alcohol brought via the duty free are you ok to consume it at home or at all?

Is it just all NON muslim expats that can obtain a licence? I'm a single british muslim (and obviously have a 'muslim' name) would I still be able to get a licence?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol consumption

you have to fill in your religion on the form...
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:35 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from the thread that ALEXALEXA did, i'm a little confused by what people have replied and being a freshie to Dubai I'm still not clear what is allowed and not allowed where alcohol is concerned.

If you go to a restaurant/bar and have alcohol is that ok, regardless of whether your a tourist or not? - Technically not. As a resident, you need to have a liquor licence...
If your family and friends come over and bring alcohol brought via the duty free are you ok to consume it at home or at all? - Again, technically not. If they were staying at a hotel, they are covered by the hotel. If they are in your house, YOU need to have a liquor licence.
Is it just all NON muslim expats that can obtain a licence? I'm a single british muslim (and obviously have a 'muslim' name) would I still be able to get a licence? - No. No Muslims are allowed to obtain a liqour licence.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission

If you go to a restaurant/bar and have alcohol is that ok, regardless of whether your a tourist or not?

If your family and friends come over and bring alcohol brought via the duty free are you ok to consume it at home or at all?

Is it just all NON muslim expats that can obtain a licence? I'm a single british muslim (and obviously have a 'muslim' name) would I still be able to get a licence?
Hi Mission,

I suspect it's not that it's not clear, more like it's not what you want to hear!

You are not allowed to consume it unless you have a licence.

Tourists seem to be exempt, but then you have the examples listed of people in transit being accused of being drunk on emirates airline. They get you, anyway they can (although they seem not to mind tourists drinking). You can drink dutyfree in your home if you have a licence. Your guests are 'probably' covered by their tourist visa and your licence.

Being muslim though, you would most probably have difficulties in gaining a licence. There may be others, in a similar situ, who can advise you?

Good luck!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:01 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Hi Mission,

I suspect it's not that it's not clear, more like it's not what you want to hear!

You are not allowed to consume it unless you have a licence.

Tourists seem to be exempt, but then you have the examples listed of people in transit being accused of being drunk on emirates airline. They get you, anyway they can (although they seem not to mind tourists drinking). You can drink dutyfree in your home if you have a licence. Your guests are 'probably' covered by their tourist visa and your licence.

Being muslim though, you would most probably have difficulties in gaining a licence. There may be others, in a similar situ, who can advise you?

Good luck!
I'm fairly sure that to the letter of the law tourists are only permitted to drink in the hotel where they are staying.

It obviously doesn't work that way unless you get into trouble with the old bill.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:22 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I'm fairly sure that to the letter of the law tourists are only permitted to drink in the hotel where they are staying.

It obviously doesn't work that way unless you get into trouble with the old bill.
technically your guests can drink in your home as they are on a visit visa, if you want to you need a license.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:26 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
technically your guests can drink in your home as they are on a visit visa, if you want to you need a license.
But, BC, what happens if your guests are involved in an RTA and the police ask where they were served the alcohol...?

Heard over the weekend of a couple somewhere in Springs/Meadows who held an 18th party for their kid last weekend. Police showed up, they had no licence and the couple were taken in....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
But, BC, what happens if your guests are involved in an RTA and the police ask where they were served the alcohol...?

Heard over the weekend of a couple somewhere in Springs/Meadows who held an 18th party for their kid last weekend. Police showed up, they had no licence and the couple were taken in....
you don't need a license if they were on a visit visa so I am guessing they would just say that they had obtained it from duty free? I find it a load of bollocks half the time and I am sure I will get shot down in flames for my comment but this obssession with alcohol licenses is pretty new

and as for holding and 18th and serving alcohol then they were just plain stupid weren't they!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
you have to fill in your religion on the form...
what if i said i was an atheist, would that fly? given that i have a muslim name?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:48 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

what if i said i was an atheist, would that fly? given that i have a muslim name?
You need to provide a copy of your visa and passport, so whatever it says on there is what you are
There is always the 'cuda!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ok this is mind boggling...if by law one is not allowed (ie a resident) to consume alochol without a licence, then how comes none of the drinking holes ask people to see their alcohol licences.

Ma'an this is probably the one time where i wished i was anything but a muslim
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
You need to provide a copy of your visa and passport, so whatever it says on there is what you are
There is always the 'cuda!
passports don't say what faith/religion you are, and does the resident visa give a faith/religion? i've aint noticed that.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:51 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

ok this is mind boggling...if by law one is not allowed (ie a resident) to consume alochol without a licence, then how comes none of the drinking holes ask people to see their alcohol licences.

Ma'an this is probably the one time where i wished i was anything but a muslim
Cos all the drinking holes are associated with hotels and if you are in a hotel you are assumed to be a tourist.
It's called Dubai Law
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:55 am
If I have to explain...

passports don't say what faith/religion you are, and does the resident visa give a faith/religion? i've aint noticed that.
Y'know, you are right. I always thought that was where they got it from but I've just looked at my passport and it doesn't say "I used to be an aetheist but don't believe in all that crap now."
Not sure about the visa as I don't read Arabic.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
Y'know, you are right. I always thought that was where they got it from but I've just looked at my passport and it doesn't say "I used to be an aetheist but don't believe in all that crap now."
Not sure about the visa as I don't read Arabic.
the visa resident is also in english - no?

what if im drinking at someone's house who has a licence - is that ok?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.