British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Al Raha Gardens - communal areas/supermarket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/al-raha-gardens-communal-areas-supermarket-572102/)

Ronnie Biggs Nov 9th 2008 11:39 am

Al Raha Gardens - communal areas/supermarket

Does anyone know when they plan to do anything about installing the communal areas at Al Raha Gardens? I moved in 9 months ago and was told they were 6 months to a year away, yet we seem to be no further forward. The closest Supermarket is about a 10k round trip and there are no play facilities for kids, no shared pools and no gym. It seems crazy to me that a 1.2km stretch of housing has so little provided for it....anyone setting up a Spinneys franchise round that neck of the woods would make a fortune.....

busybee2 Nov 9th 2008 11:48 am

Re: Al Raha Gardens - communal areas/supermarket

its not that simple. raha gardens was originally sold as a 'local' development, and they did not expect the community to be rented out to 'expats' hence the lack of facilities and supermarket. the only gated community that has recently been built is mangrove and they have only just got a spinneys, it was a fresh grove before. sorry but dont think that you will be getting anything fast. spinneys is coming to kca, but not this year, it will more than likely be opposite the new etihad complex which to me personally is not really in the right place, but it will be closer than town/mangrove etc. things do take time, the pink shops in kca were built for years before anything was done to them. sorry but think that you will still be using your car for a little while longer. there are parks planned for kca, but again long long way away.

commander Nov 9th 2008 11:51 am

there are supermarkets in the pink building in KCA

I think another 12-18 months will see the town centre

Ronnie Biggs Nov 9th 2008 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 6955515)
there are supermarkets in the pink building in KCA

I think another 12-18 months will see the town centre

Yes but those supermarkets are pretty rank. I looked at the meat counter last week in one of them and it was covered in flies......

Ronnie Biggs Nov 9th 2008 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6955510)
its not that simple. raha gardens was originally sold as a 'local' development, and they did not expect the community to be rented out to 'expats' hence the lack of facilities and supermarket. the only gated community that has recently been built is mangrove and they have only just got a spinneys, it was a fresh grove before. sorry but dont think that you will be getting anything fast. spinneys is coming to kca, but not this year, it will more than likely be opposite the new etihad complex which to me personally is not really in the right place, but it will be closer than town/mangrove etc. things do take time, the pink shops in kca were built for years before anything was done to them. sorry but think that you will still be using your car for a little while longer. there are parks planned for kca, but again long long way away.

Thanks for the detail, I appreciate what you're saying, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me that you put that many thousand people together and still nobody builds a coffee shop or a decent supermaket. It doesn't take Alan Sugar and a dozen sycpophants to work out that it would make an absolute fortune. Al Raha feels like some sort of Saudi compound in the middle of nowhere (minus the pools and the homemade wine...)

busybee2 Nov 9th 2008 3:28 pm

r can tell you are still a little green around the edges, once you have a few more months under your belt you will understand that there is no 'logic' in this neck of the woods, well there would be woods if they didnt keep pulling them down to build yet more up-market developments...! you have got lulu across the road...... :rofl:

Ronnie Biggs Nov 9th 2008 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6955884)
r can tell you are still a little green around the edges, once you have a few more months under your belt you will understand that there is no 'logic' in this neck of the woods, well there would be woods if they didnt keep pulling them down to build yet more up-market developments...! you have got lulu across the road...... :rofl:

Not really green at all to be honest...I know this place is a load of b******s when you stare too hard at it but the KCA situation defies logic. There are enough money hungry individuals/companies to see the opening but still nothing happens.

Lulu may be across the road visually but it's a 10km round trip until they put an intersection in (the first one goes in next Christmas apparently.)

busybee2 Nov 10th 2008 5:11 am

yes i know how long it takes go to around the loop de loops from kca, but which xmas are you talking about regarding the bridge, not this one i hope, next one if you are lucky :rofl: remember no logic here