Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Al Mubarraz, Abqaiq and Bahrain - Question regarding a location and living

Al Mubarraz, Abqaiq and Bahrain - Question regarding a location and living

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

brightonguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Al Mubarraz, Abqaiq and Bahrain - Question regarding a location and living

Hello there,

A family member of mine is about to be offered a job by ARAMCO, in one of their offices either in Al Mubarraz or Abqaiq - as he's been told. He is a 55-year-old teacher.

He will need to visit me in Bahrain on a regular basis, sometimes every weekend. And my questions are:
- Would it be possible for him to live in Khobar and commute to Abqaiq / Al Mubarraz? How long would it take to commute?
- Is it easy for him to find a private driver in Saudi Arabia who will take him to / from work and also to / from Bahrain every now and then? Or would he be better off renting a car and do all the commuting himself? He doesn't like driving much but he doesn't hate it.
- Are there any forum members living in Abqaiq / Al Mubarraz - or have been there? What are your thoughts about these places? Do you think he should live close to his work or in Khobar? Why?
- His package is good - I think somewhere between £45 to £55K tax-free inclusive of all the usual. Do you think he can get a decent place to live? Any recommendations in terms of compounds / location?
- Any other bits you believe he should negotiate with his employer before he signs the contract will be much appreciated...

Thanks a million in advance.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Mubarraz, Abqaiq and Bahrain - Question regarding a location and living

Bahrain-Abqaiq on a daily basis as a commute is not practical.

If he is direct hire with ARAMCO he will probably be offered accommodation. I would check on that.

Getting someone else to drive is easy and not expensive. In my 17 years working in KSA in 3 different locations, I only had acar of my own for a few months. Ask aroun d after arrival and maybe get one or two RELIABLE local taxis. Drivers are usually from in India or Pakistan.

I cannot see the sense of living in Khobar. Live as close as possible to work. Minimise travelling time and enjoy weekends in Bahrain !
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Mubarraz, Abqaiq and Bahrain - Question regarding a location and living

I just heard from a former colleague in Khobar who knows of someone commuting on a daily basis from Bahrain to Abqaiq. So it may be physically possible. I wouls say that it is not advisable.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mubarraz is just before Hofuf. That would be a 2-hour drive from Bahrain.
Found these pics for Abqaiq Aramco facilities. If he is a DIRECT HIRE he should be okay. With a contractor it is more of a gamble. Contractors do NOT get the same facilities as ARAMCO direct hires.

http://www.pbase.com/bigsandpit/life_in_abqaiq&page=all

Last edited by scot47; Jan 4th 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for the answers. Keep them coming. Could you please let me know if there is a way to understand whether he would be a direct hire or not? Thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who is he signing the contract with ? If it is with ARAMCO he is a direct hire. If it is with Al Hothy or one of the dozens of other contractors he is not a direct hire.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

I think he is being hired by Al Hothy for Aramco. Could you please tell me the difference? Since he is being hired by Al Hothy, do you think he should reconsider the offer?

Once again, thank you very much.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He will be on a lower salary than direct hires. Benefits are not so good. He will not ahve access to many ARAMCO facilities. Turnover with contractors is very high. No real sjob security with Al Hothy and other contractors.

Hardly anyone now as a teacher with ARAMCO is on direct hire. Now in the old days..............................................