Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Al Mirfa in the UAE

Al Mirfa in the UAE

Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Peterpeter007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Al Mirfa in the UAE

Can anybody tell me what Al Mirfa is like in the United Arab Emirates? I might have the opportunity to drive new freight trains there and I was wondering if it was possible to find accommodation there easily.
The company says I have to commit to 3 years, is that a UAE requirement to do with the visa?
Is there much to do there or is it a very small village???
Any help would be appreciated.
I would have to travel out very quickly next week.
Peter
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Mirfa in the UAE

there is nothing there very small place, nice hotel. when are you driving these trains, on etihad rail, didnt think they had finished building it yet. if you work for a private company then your visa is for 2 years, if you work for a government company your visa if valid for 3 years.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Peterpeter007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
there is nothing there very small place, nice hotel. when are you driving these trains, on etihad rail, didnt think they had finished building it yet. if you work for a private company then your visa is for 2 years, if you work for a government company your visa if valid for 3 years.
Thanks for the reply. They haven't finished building it yet but they should be starting trains on one part of it soon. I would be working for a joint company DB Schenker which is German and Etihad rail which is probably a government company I would think. I'm not sure where we would have to live as there will be loads of people to accommodate and as you say I don't think there is much around there area.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peterpeter007
Thanks for the reply. They haven't finished building it yet but they should be starting trains on one part of it soon. I would be working for a joint company DB Schenker which is German and Etihad rail which is probably a government company I would think. I'm not sure where we would have to live as there will be loads of people to accommodate and as you say I don't think there is much around there area.
you are right its not finished yet. etihad rail will be government, dbs is private so it depends on who is employing you whether you are on a 2 or a 3 year visa. it used to be everyone was on a 3 year visa, but its now changed to private only 2 years. if you google it you will see its only very small, they will either build a workers accommodation or you will have to try and find somewhere in mirfa, but there isnt much there... or you will have to commute from abu dhabi.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

paddym is an unknown quantity at this point

I am waiting to hear back from db schenker on a possible role being offered to myself also.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of salary and living package and I have never been to the uae.

Will wait see what happens.....
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone got any info on what db schenker are offering roughly as a
Package to move over??
Old Jul 13th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

kenp84 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello,

Funny I came across this in the forum! so, when will you be joining us over here at the Al Mirfa Hotel?!

I've been here now for a week, we have a few drivers here already, very good bunch of lads ( I'm a Loco Fitter).

I would like to point out that the project is quite hush hush regards to what the Emeraties what from the project and they are scanning the internet for people who are discussing it!
Anyway, the locos are impressive bits of kit, 3 times the size of a 66!

The lines are far from complete at the moment, will take a while and believe me, nothing is rushed.

You wont want to live here in Mirfa, it's........................ well you just wont.

As for the package. I'm afraid you wont find any info here and I'm sure you've heard the same back from HR etc that I have, and I'm already here! see you soon!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Not sure yet still waiting to here some news.

Are you living in Abu Dhabi while working in al mirfa?

I would be working within project engineering as my expertise is rail engineering.

Will wait and see what's offered? Are you enjoying it?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

we're staying at the Mirfa Hotel at the moment but will be moving to Abu Dhabi once visas etc are sorted!

So you'll probably be working with the Italians then? They are the track people.
Wait until you meet Marco (think that was his name), hes barmy!!!!

The best thing i can say with regards to the site is dont expect anything and youll be happy!!!!! its a building site
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

You make it sound awesome haha.

I will still need to consider whatever package is out together and negotiate that. I have no idea what to expect.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

yeh, its all about the package! hell, we dont even know what ours is yet and weve been here a week!!!!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

How come? Why would you accept a job and not know how you are going to be taking care of?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

its a little different, all of us here are on a secondment at the moment until we know if we actually want the job or if the package is worth it. Because we all already work for the company, we can go back to our jobs in the uk if we chose to as if we never left!

I certainly wouldn't have come if i was from "outside" the company and knew nothing!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kenp84
its a little different, all of us here are on a secondment at the moment until we know if we actually want the job or if the package is worth it. Because we all already work for the company, we can go back to our jobs in the uk if we chose to as if we never left!

I certainly wouldn't have come if i was from "outside" the company and knew nothing!
but how does that work with your tax and salary liability etc.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure they pay you a lot. The staff turnover and decision making at Etihad (at least was) erratic to say the least.

I would be surprised if you last the 3 years of your visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.