Al Khor

Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Chrissie2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Al Khor

What do you do in Al Khor when you don't have a car and you have limited time to get in and out of Doha?
Is there anyone out there who would like to meet for a coffee to discuss this dilemma.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

VillainDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Al Khor

Chrissie, when I first moved here in Jan, I was living on a company camp 5 minutes from Al Khor, without a car and found it difficult.
I'd be more than happy to meet up for a coffee and a chat. I now have a car and live off camp closer to Doha, still not a great deal to do though.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that would be great. Just a bit concerned, I get the impression your a Villa fan ............
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Of course I am, what gave it away? Why would that be a cause for concern?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Let me see .................. maybe the AVFC. I aren't into football really but if I do watch I usually watch Liverpool or Man Utd. I used to like watching Thiery Henri but he's gone to another team somewhere. You see that's my level of interest.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Well we can keep football off the agenda. How long have you been in Qatar/Al Khor for? What line of work are you in?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

I have been in Qatar since April and I am an English Teacher at a language school in Al Khor, well I say at a language school there is only one.
Am I safe to assume that you are in the gas business?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Are there many other brits there or are you the only one? I am in Oil & Gas, surprise surprise! I'm a Contract Administrator working in Ras Laffan for a contractor on a new gas plant. This is my first time working outside of the UK so found the transition a little difficult to start with.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:40 am
Just Joined

There are three of us Brits working at the school, all female. Prior to working here I was in Thailand so I have been away from home about a year and a half. However, each new place takes adjusting to and then there are all the same old challenges like how do I get from here to there and where do I get a drink ........
The computer is a life saver though. I am able to keep in contact with family and friends. And of course it is a source of information.
Have a good day. Byeeee
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:02 am
Just Joined

You are getting around a bit aren't you.
If it wasn't for the internet it would be extremely difficult to work abroad. I've spoke to people who have done this for many years, before the internet age and they could only keep in touch by letter. I couldn't do that.
Well, just let me know whenever you fancy a coffee and a chat and we'll arrange to meet up.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Well I work Sat to Thurs which will be the same as you I expect. I don't work most mornings but I do work afternoons and evenings til 8.30. So the if you want to meet after 8.30 one night, say in Batteel (the bakery has a cafe upstairs) let me know.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Yep, same working week as I'm on.
I'm free any night this week apart from Thursday, a rare night out for me with other 2 brits working on this project.
Not sure where Batteel is but I'm sure I'll find it.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi, the only night I can't do is tonight. That's the exciting life I lead at the moment. So let me know when it is convenient for you. When you come to Al Khor on the new road go straight across the roundabout. On the left hand side are the shops and practically opposite the Qtel bujilding is Batteel. As I previously mentioned it is a Bakery but it has a Cafe upstairs. I will now utter those famous last words "you can't miss it ......."