British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Al Khobar Info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/al-khobar-info-873973/)

verylightblue Jun 17th 2015 1:33 pm

Al Khobar Info

Hi,

I'm thinking about taking a job in Al Khobar - I presently live in Qatar, so sort of know what to expect.

What I want to know is anything about the compounds. Which are the best ones, with highest %age of Europeans, how much are they (surely cheaper than Qatar ?) etc....

any 1st hand knowledge very much appreciated.

thanks.

scot47 Jun 17th 2015 2:43 pm

Re: Al Khobar info needed

Eurovillage was one of the middle-level compounds. They have a website. Try a google. There are some pretty ghastly cheap ones and others that are so expensive that I never even visited !

Here is the link to the Eurovillage website

http://eurovillagecompound.com/home.html

When I was teaching at KFUPM in Dhahran I used to go to Eurovillage for lunch on a Friday. I did not live there and have only seen the houses from the outside.

There is a school located on the compound. The name escapes my failing memory.

This might give some idea of what it is like

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p...r&fr=yfp-t-903

nonthaburi Jun 18th 2015 6:57 pm

Can't tell you about compounds, but IMO, Khobar is a pretty good place to live. Relaxed traffic, nice corniche, friendly people, close to Bahrain, and it actually has some humidity. Compared to Riyadh, it's very nice.

Perth99 Sep 11th 2015 6:24 pm

Al Khobar

Hi

We are considering moving to KSA and are looking for some advice.

Can anyone give me advice about schools in Al Khobar please? I have kids aged 8 and 10 and I am considering the following schools:

BISAK
British Grammar School
American school

1) How difficult is it to get a place in the elementary grades? Do spaces open during the year?

2) Any parents or teachers who can tell me their experiences would be very helpful. I would especially like to know how easy it is to communicate with the teachers and what weekly news and feedback is given.

3) I'm also interested to know about after school activities, are they offered in the schools? I would like to find out about the availability of kids and adult art classes, basketball, ice skating and swim teams in Al Khobar.

4) Compound Advice,
I am hoping for a large compound with a fun group of people, esp. Would like a lot of kids and moms to arrange play dates and hangout by pool. Also would like the house to be of a fairly high standard and the compound to be reasonably attractive and well maintained. (I hope this is not too much to ask for)

Any suggestions?

5) can anyone tell me anything about Mutlaq and Oasis Compounds?

6) Any other compounds that Schlumberger use?

7) Are there any daytime ladies tennis groups?

8) any other expat groups I can meet with

Thank you
P

sicklyman Sep 12th 2015 5:00 am

Re: Al Khobar

Originally Posted by Perth99 (Post 11746052)

BISAK
British Grammar School
American school

1) How difficult is it to get a place in the elementary grades? Do spaces open during the year?

4) Compound Advice,
I am hoping for a large compound with a fun group of people, esp. Would like a lot of kids and moms to arrange play dates and hangout by pool. Also would like the house to be of a fairly high standard and the compound to be reasonably attractive and well maintained. (I hope this is not too much to ask for)

Any suggestions?

5) can anyone tell me anything about Oasis Compound?

I can only give you basic info on the above. Those are the standard schools every moneyed expat and Saudi is looking to get their kids into. As a result, places often fill for the next academic year before the current academic year begins. I don't have personal experience of this as I don't have kids (praise be!) but many colleagues have struggled to get their kids into schools within a year of being here. Basic advice: contact all schools as soon as possible (i.e. now) to get the process started.

You mentioned housing being of good quality and Oasis. I've had friends on there and visited many times. The apartments aren't bad at all. The houses (which families live in) are old and musty and not great at all. Maintenance is an issue. I know one family that moved out because they couldn't endure it anymore. It seems a shame that you pay so very much for these compounds and yet they still can't give you basic maintenance. You might want to look at Eurovillage if you are free to choose where you will be. Bear in mind that because every moneyed expat wants a fun compound exactly like you describe, compound accommodation is extremely hard to get into unless your company has some it block rents on compounds.

The reason it's hard to get into them is because companies block rent most properties on compounds. Waiting lists can be months to years for those without wasta.

scot47 Sep 12th 2015 9:57 am

BISAK is okay. One of my friends taught there and had good reports - from the perspectives of a teacher.

Personally I would prefer Eurovillage and would avoid Oasis. The ghosts of 2004 are still around the latter place. Eurovillage also hosts a school - is it The International Programmes School ? BISAK might be better if you want British Curriculum rather than a multinational focus.