Al Hoty advice

Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

DaveSand is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Al Hoty advice

I would just like to know the reputation of Al Hoty. Basically are they the kind of company to leave me in the Lurch? I have had a bad experience before in Qatar as some may remember. I will be arriving with a suitcase and limited cash. on a wing and a prayer I guess.

I have been in Qatar and passed my driving test there only but i was only ever issued with a temporary Qatari license which has expired. I am coming to Saudi this week Al Hoty for aramco. Al Khobar what are the rules? I only have the above DL no UK one. I have been told to fetch this one with me. will I be able to exchange this one for a Saudi one? I also have no iquama yet obviously but a visa in my passport. I will be coming over for Al Hoty who have given me 10 days on pay to get the license. is this possible. Many thanks
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Hoty advice

Fair play for having another go mate but are you not just replicating all the heartache and bullshit that you've just went through ?

No proper license , no rep on the firm and limited funds is more than winging it . Im sure if you hang it out you'll get a decent break with a half decent firm .
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked for Hoty for the last year. They've been excellent from the minute I landed, have done everything they said they would and even born with me when I'm sure they've made an error only to find out it was my fault all along.

Now, that's not to say that other colleagues would provide the same glowing report, but that's been my experience since I arrived last April. Certainly, everyone agrees that you can do far worse by a contractor.

I had my iqama ten days after I landed and then, on handing over my UK paper license (I don't have a photocard license) and having an eye test (which they arranged and drove me to), I had my Saudi license a week later. I've been driving on it ever since. Now, your situation is different, but I relate this to let you know that they will do what they can to help you out as far as it is possible.

I've noticed that contracted staff who throw their weight around with the Al Hoty staff tend to have more hassles. Those who show them respect and appreciate that they work a load more hours than we do for far less pay seem to have a smoother transition through all the paperwork living here generates.

Where will you be working?

Last edited by sicklyman; Apr 7th 2014 at 3:12 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

DaveSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Sicklyman thats very kind of you to raise my spirits. I have had a bit of a knock back on the driving front today and am waiting for Al Hoty to reply, I would agree that they have done everything possible to help. All being well I will be at Ras Tanura.

CDB Thats why I asked the question for an honest response like I got from Sicklyman. I admit I had a terrible time of it in Qatar. I guess I will have to wait and see... if I get there. What I really needed to know was would Al Hoty Leave me stranded and I dont think they would as long as I treat them with the due respect that anybody deserves.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveSand
Sicklyman thats very kind of you to raise my spirits. I have had a bit of a knock back on the driving front today and am waiting for Al Hoty to reply, I would agree that they have done everything possible to help. All being well I will be at Ras Tanura.

CDB Thats why I asked the question for an honest response like I got from Sicklyman. I admit I had a terrible time of it in Qatar. I guess I will have to wait and see... if I get there. What I really needed to know was would Al Hoty Leave me stranded and I dont think they would as long as I treat them with the due respect that anybody deserves.
To be honest expecting respect in the Gulf is sometimes fruitless mate , especially with employers and as they say thats like asking a lion not to eat you because you did'nt eat it .

My advice to you yet again is base your decision on cold hard facts with written contractual agreement that you've agreed with the company.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
base your decision on cold hard facts with written contractual agreement that you've agreed with the company.
well, as anyone with any length of experience in the ME would advise, often contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on. In Saudi, you have zero legal recourse anyway no matter what your contract might say.

This is the Middle East, the weather is very warm most of the year and the ground is usually soft. There's nothing cold and hard about it...

I think DaveSand is doing the best thing which is attempting to get answers from those actually working for the company he'll be working for.

Dave... you will definitely need a driving license if you are going to be based in RT and want some independence. RT used to be a one horse town until the horse died.

Most RT guys stay sane by getting a license asap and either renting or buying a car so they can take weekend trips to Khobar and/or Bahrain on a regular basis.

Without a license, you'll be reliant on other teachers to help you out with lifts. Definitely doable but less convenient.