Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Al Ain Hili Border Crossing - Can expats still cross here?

Al Ain Hili Border Crossing - Can expats still cross here?

Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

DesertDawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Al Ain Hili Border Crossing - Can expats still cross here?

Hi All,

I intend to drive off road to Al Ain from Hatta direction on Oman side of fence, camping along the way.

Will I be able to get back into the UAE at Hili border point (just showing passport/visa)? Has anyone passed through there in past month?

A member of our party will be on tourist visa - will that be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

David
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:47 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Ain Hili Border Crossing - Can expats still cross here?

Originally Posted by DesertDawg
Hi All,

I intend to drive off road to Al Ain from Hatta direction on Oman side of fence, camping along the way.

Will I be able to get back into the UAE at Hili border point (just showing passport/visa)? Has anyone passed through there in past month?

Thanks in advance.

David
I'm not sure of the current situation - we did that trip the opposite way, from Burami to Hatta on the Oman side a few years ago - possibly the best offroading I have ever done - great trip.

I did read that Burami was closed, but this was a while ago. Previously it was advised to have Omani visa in advance for tourists on visit visa - I sorted this out for my parents one time.

However - I don't have up to date info...

Hopefully someone can assist more...?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Autonomy,

So thats a for the trip. Just need to know whether we will be let back in.......

Dave
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:32 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Autonomy,

So thats a for the trip. Just need to know whether we will be let back in.......

Dave
a couple of shots from that trip on my blog:-

http://dubaidailyphoto.blogspot.com/...world-143.html
http://dubaidailyphoto.blogspot.com/...t-way-142.html

Last edited by Autonomy; Jan 12th 2011 at 7:36 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

David
Yes you can come back through Hili border no problems. Just be sure it is Hili and not Buraimi which is a different border and for GCC Passport holders only. But if you do make the mistake they will just turn you back to Hili no worries!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain
Yes you can come back through Hili border no problems. Just be sure it is Hili and not Buraimi which is a different border and for GCC Passport holders only. But if you do make the mistake they will just turn you back to Hili no worries!
Thanks kiwigirlinalain - indeed you are right - we came back through hili last weekend.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:50 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

"A member of our party will be on tourist visa - will that be a problem?"

Depends upon whether they are on the list of 'now' 32 countries (ie not Canada) who are allowed visas on entry. If the member of your party on a tourist visa isn't on that list then their UAE visa may be single entry only and they may need to get another visa to re-enter the UAE from Oman.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:54 am
Just Joined

majo_nl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks kiwigirlinalain - indeed you are right - we came back through hili last weekend.
Dear Desertdawg,

I intend to do the same route next month with some Dutch friends who'll come over to visit us. Did the person travelling on tourist visa have any problems re-entering as he (probably) didn't receive any exit-stamps while crossing the border in Hatta?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by majo_nl
Dear Desertdawg,

I intend to do the same route next month with some Dutch friends who'll come over to visit us. Did the person travelling on tourist visa have any problems re-entering as he (probably) didn't receive any exit-stamps while crossing the border in Hatta?
Hi Majo_nl!

Back in Jan we entered Oman on the Dubai-Hatta road and then went off road and re-entered UAE at Al Ain Hili Border crossing. No problems - minimal checks - person with tourist visa no problems.

However, in March we tried to go to Hanging Gardens (just outside Al Ain on Oman side). The person with the tourist visa had to get an Oman visa which meant official entry to Oman and you cannot get out at Hilli one you have entered Oman with visa. So we turned back.

In short, if you enter via Hatta road and exit at Hilli you should have no problems. Fingers crossed! Desert Dawg.

PS if you are following the UAE off road route - make sure you have a good 4x4!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

majo_nl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi DesertDawg,

Many thanks for the info. Hope they won't send us back
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Al Ain Hili Border Crossing - Can expats still cross here?

Originally Posted by majo_nl
Hi DesertDawg,

Many thanks for the info. Hope they won't send us back
best crossing is at Mezyard, on Friday mornings. If you do not have insurance for Oman then you can leace the car and walk the 1km into Oman for the obligitory stamps
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JB22
best crossing is at Mezyard, on Friday mornings. If you do not have insurance for Oman then you can leace the car and walk the 1km into Oman for the obligitory stamps
You don't actually have to walk. If you explain to UAE border guys you are just extending your visa and not actually going in to Oman you can drive to the border and just park in the car park walk into the building get your passport stamped walk out and drive back to AA. I did it 4 times before my visa came through.