Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ajman - Hotel under construction collapses.

Ajman - Hotel under construction collapses.

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ajman - Hotel under construction collapses.

Tragic - 6 lives lost.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/52094...hotel-collapse
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ajman - Hotel under construction collapses.

I was at the Burj Dubai Lake Hotel (66 storeys) under construction this morning and what utter chaos. If they think it will be completed on time, they must be joking. Likewise the nearby Dubai Mall is at least six months from being ready despite what the media says. Incidentally, while on site, a German guy there told me about an incident roughly two years ago when a seven storey underground trench wall collapsed at Terminal 3 under construction "killing eighty workers" but the whole episode was hidden from the press. Indeed I am told that the Police raided several newspaper offices to ensure that it was kept out of public view. True or not I cannot really say but the engineer telling me the story had no reason to lie.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lionheart
I was at the Burj Dubai Lake Hotel (66 storeys) under construction this morning and what utter chaos. If they think it will be completed on time, they must be joking. Likewise the nearby Dubai Mall is at least six months from being ready despite what the media says. Incidentally, while on site, a German guy there told me about an incident roughly two years ago when a seven storey underground trench wall collapsed at Terminal 3 under construction "killing eighty workers" but the whole episode was hidden from the press. Indeed I am told that the Police raided several newspaper offices to ensure that it was kept out of public view. True or not I cannot really say but the engineer telling me the story had no reason to lie.
I drove past the retaining wall on the airport project every day at that time - never did i see anything other than a swarm of workers on and under the wall. Dubiously, they claimed that there only 3 people in the area at the time to collapsed....
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
I drove past the retaining wall on the airport project every day at that time - never did i see anything other than a swarm of workers on and under the wall. Dubiously, they claimed that there only 3 people in the area at the time to collapsed....
just like the accident at the Dry Docks a few years ago, can't remember the exact figures but what got into the papers wasn't the truth, that's for sure
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

i love the las bit of the report

"Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al-Nuaimi, UAE Supreme Council member and ruler of Ajman inspected the construction site, and told rescue teams to speed up their operation. "
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
i love the las bit of the report

"Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al-Nuaimi, UAE Supreme Council member and ruler of Ajman inspected the construction site, and told rescue teams to speed up their operation. "
and this:

Construction work on the rest of the hotel continues.

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
just like the accident at the Dry Docks a few years ago, can't remember the exact figures but what got into the papers wasn't the truth, that's for sure
im sure 23 died...

funny old thing i know for a fact that you could add on another zero to that..
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

They only list those that die in the actual event.
If they die later - or on the way to the hospital etc it doesn't count towards the toll.

Same with the pile up between Abu Dhabi and Dubai......3 died......yeah right......
3 may have been killed at the scene but how many died in hospital?