British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Airline Frustration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/airline-frustration-713870/)

lionheart Apr 19th 2011 11:32 am

Airline Frustration

My wife and daughter are in Nairobi right now. They got caught up in a traffic accident on the way to the airport and missed their flight home yesterday. I had to book another flight for them leaving tonight. After booking the flights, I was belatedly informed that the credit card holder must be one of the passengers. :ohmy:Needless to say, madam had decided to leave her credit card here for security reasons. :eek: It's therefore taken me most of the day to (hopefully) resolve the issue by a personal visit to the airline office and by last minute submission of copy documentation by e-mail. Crossing my fingers that they arrive safely tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, my daughter has missed almost the entire week of schooling.:(

shiftdelete Apr 19th 2011 12:03 pm

Re: Airline Frustration

whats it with that rule?- its a pain in the a**- never used to be like that

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9313750)
My wife and daughter are in Nairobi right now. They got caught up in a traffic accident on the way to the airport and missed their flight home yesterday. I had to book another flight for them leaving tonight. After booking the flights, I was belatedly informed that the credit card holder must be one of the passengers. :ohmy:Needless to say, madam had decided to leave her credit card here for security reasons. :eek: It's therefore taken me most of the day to (hopefully) resolve the issue by a personal visit to the airline office and by last minute submission of copy documentation by e-mail. Crossing my fingers that they arrive safely tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, my daughter has missed almost the entire week of schooling.:(

kittycat1 Apr 19th 2011 12:07 pm

I have travelled on flights where the card holder has not been present- booked by work- if you contact the ticket provider and explain the situation they will waive this for you- but you need to print out an email of this and take it to the airport with you (or your missus) and you still get questioned but they let you travel, It is an absolute pain inthe arse though and i dont really see the point in it!

Paracletus Apr 19th 2011 12:12 pm

I generally find when I book online that there is an option to not use the credit card for this purpose. I have however noticed that this is not the case on Virgin trains back in the UK..

Millhouse Apr 19th 2011 12:14 pm

This is Lionheart. He flew his family home on the cheapest possible airline he could find.

I expect that the airline prefer cash payments only as acceptance of credit cards would add an unnecessary degree of transparency to their business.

shiftdelete Apr 19th 2011 12:18 pm

interesting, but haven't picked up on that- I suppose then we all have to have debit cards? or email them the money?, or get a credit card for a 10 year old boy? or paypal?

what other options do you see mate.

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9313823)
I generally find when I book online that there is an option to not use the credit card for this purpose. I have however noticed that this is not the case on Virgin trains back in the UK..

weasel central Apr 19th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9313750)

Or just one extra day from your original plans...

so this is air azerbaijan or air ****istan?

Paracletus Apr 19th 2011 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 9313837)
interesting, but haven't picked up on that- I suppose then we all have to have debit cards? or email them the money?, or get a credit card for a 10 year old boy? or paypal?

what other options do you see mate.

I tend to book using the 'air passengers passport' or 'frequent flyer card' as ID and/or reference to collect my ticket. In the past this was an issue, but I've managed to trvael with only a photo copy of the card world wide before I was able to purchase my own tickets.

But yes, if you were to send your 10 year old kid on virgin trains, you'd have to part with your credit card to him for the duration of the journey. Either that, or Virgin trains don't like children travelling on their trains. What I wouldn't do to fly with a no screaming child airline. Definate gap in the market.

The Dean Apr 19th 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9313957)
I tend to book using the 'air passengers passport' or 'frequent flyer card' as ID and/or reference to collect my ticket. In the past this was an issue, but I've managed to trvael with only a photo copy of the card world wide before I was able to purchase my own tickets.

But yes, if you were to send your 10 year old kid on virgin trains, you'd have to part with your credit card to him for the duration of the journey. Either that, or Virgin trains don't like children travelling on their trains. What I wouldn't do to fly with a no screaming child airline. Definate gap in the market.

The 'gap in the market' can be filled easily, if airlines introduce a 'nobody under 14 in Business Class or First Class' rule, which I suggested to a senior BA exec some years ago.

The look of sheer disgust combined with horror that crept acros his face is something I shall never forget.

co durham boy Apr 19th 2011 1:44 pm

Not with Emirates or Qatar Airways

Bahtatboy Apr 19th 2011 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9314051)
The 'gap in the market' can be filled easily, if airlines introduce a 'nobody under 14 in Business Class or First Class' rule, which I suggested to a senior BA exec some years ago.

And no Johnny F's, either.

OriginalSunshine Apr 19th 2011 2:32 pm

The look of sheer disgust combined with horror that crept acros his face is something I shall never forget.

that's because a family of four, with a 12 year old and a 13 year old will be paying 4 times what some grumpy old man in the corner will be paying - I know whose business I would take!

Madam Medusa Apr 19th 2011 2:35 pm

but why...they earn a fortune from people travelling in business with their kids...let's hope they don't take you up on your idea, i don't fancy having to do economy just cos the kids have to...

MM, xx

Meow Apr 19th 2011 2:37 pm

I think that's an excellent plan :D Or have a separate areas for families as has previously been suggested on here.

The crew hate annoying children, and their parents, as much as everyone else does.

Bahtatboy Apr 19th 2011 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9314187)
The crew hate annoying children, and their parents, as much as everyone else does.

On most US airlines I get the impression that the crew take great pleasure in annoying all their passengers.