AIR MILES

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:42 am
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future
Default AIR MILES

Here's an interesting question ( well I think so ! )

Has anyone ever been able to arrange a flight using air miles that actually suited them?

I have squillions tucked away but every time I try to get to Heathrow or Dublin or wherever I am told there is a nice one going to Kuala Lumpa or Antartica otherwise I have to book up 12 years in advance and even that is at 4am on a Tuesday morning!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIR MILES

Originally Posted by Big Geezer
Here's an interesting question ( well I think so ! )

Has anyone ever been able to arrange a flight using air miles that actually suited them?

I have squillions tucked away but every time I try to get to Heathrow or Dublin or wherever I am told there is a nice one going to Kuala Lumpa or Antartica otherwise I have to book up 12 years in advance and even that is at 4am on a Tuesday morning!
4am on a Tuesday???

That's nothing - I had to wait until Wednesday afternoon for my freebie to Antarctica.........

More seriously, I am reasonably well acquainted with a former commercial travel agent, who told me all sorts of stories - airline staff 'blocking' discounted seats until their 'friends' were able to pool a few miles of their own, telling clients that they can use their miles to fly from A to B, without mentioning they are only on a 'wait-list', but then amazingly, a seat becomes available just as you reach check-in ("but that isn't a seat we can offer under an air miles arrangement, so it's full price or nothing I'm afraid") etc etc.......

I remember my dad not being able to 'claim' his miles because his membership said "Frederick" and his agent had booked in the name of "Fred".

Q: What's worse than a second-hand car salesman? A: Airline staff...... all of them....
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Dean
4am on a Tuesday???

That's nothing - I had to wait until Wednesday afternoon for my freebie to Antarctica.........

More seriously, I am reasonably well acquainted with a former commercial travel agent, who told me all sorts of stories - airline staff 'blocking' discounted seats until their 'friends' were able to pool a few miles of their own, telling clients that they can use their miles to fly from A to B, without mentioning they are only on a 'wait-list', but then amazingly, a seat becomes available just as you reach check-in ("but that isn't a seat we can offer under an air miles arrangement, so it's full price or nothing I'm afraid") etc etc.......

I remember my dad not being able to 'claim' his miles because his membership said "Frederick" and his agent had booked in the name of "Fred".

Q: What's worse than a second-hand car salesman? A: Airline staff...... all of them....
Mind you,

I would'nt let a Fred on board either! I had an uncle called Fred - nice bloke.

Pain in the diddly is'nt it ?

Anyway, I am looking forward to my free flight to Nepal this Xmas.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Geezer
Mind you,

I would'nt let a Fred on board either! I had an uncle called Fred - nice bloke.

Pain in the diddly is'nt it ?

Anyway, I am looking forward to my free flight to Nepal this Xmas.
Unfortunately "NEPAL" is an anagram of "PLANE" which means airline bandits will be working hard to foil your plans again.........
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Dean
Unfortunately "NEPAL" is an anagram of "PLANE" which means airline bandits will be working hard to foil your plans again.........
Yes also PENAL Take that as you wish matey !!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:54 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Tried to get to the UK on miles recently and you have to pay a little in addition to surrendering the miles and the credit card thing does not work so ended up losing three sets of (business class) miles forever just to get a confirmed booking.

...then ffs stepped in and I had to interview in London and got a business class ticket on the firms account. When I went to check in they tried to have me executed because I had two open bookings for the same flight which is the biggest crime of the century.

Then they upgraded me to seat 1B in first just before I boarded but as I got on a local lady took the seat and was talking to the guy in 1A ( who looked as if he did deserve to be there) so I just did not bother and took 6F or whatever it was on my boarding card. Then the waiter came along and gave me grief for sitting there because I was an 'extra passenger' and should have been in First. I expained that I was not about to turf out some local gal whilst in Arabia and that I was quite happy - and told him that I was scared of being at the front of the plane just to shut him up. The guy next to me who was at this point (as I am sure you are too) developing a theory that I was a complete twat then burst out laughing and said that he was scared of being at the front too. He too came from Glasgow and so the journey became meaningless as did our livers.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dago
Tried to get to the UK on miles recently and you have to pay a little in addition to surrendering the miles and the credit card thing does not work so ended up losing three sets of (business class) miles forever just to get a confirmed booking.

...then ffs stepped in and I had to interview in London and got a business class ticket on the firms account. When I went to check in they tried to have me executed because I had two open bookings for the same flight which is the biggest crime of the century.

Then they upgraded me to seat 1B in first just before I boarded but as I got on a local lady took the seat and was talking to the guy in 1A ( who looked as if he did deserve to be there) so I just did not bother and took 6F or whatever it was on my boarding card. Then the waiter came along and gave me grief for sitting there because I was an 'extra passenger' and should have been in First. I expained that I was not about to turf out some local gal whilst in Arabia and that I was quite happy - and told him that I was scared of being at the front of the plane just to shut him up. The guy next to me who was at this point (as I am sure you are too) developing a theory that I was a complete twat then burst out laughing and said that he was scared of being at the front too. He too came from Glasgow and so the journey became meaningless as did our livers.
....... and the award for "Most Rambling And Inconsequential But Nevertheless Highly Entertaining Post Despite Many Non-Sequiturs" goes to............

........ Dago.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:44 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but using miles from BA, KE, LH and BD. Not Air Miles (the scheme).

Planning my next AUH-MCT run as we speak.