Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

after some advice please

after some advice please

Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:33 am
Just Joined

rowls.. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default after some advice please

Hi, been viewing this site for a while now and am after a bit of advice..

I’m a 23 year old single bloke, thinking of moving to Dubai.. I work as a quantity surveyor so should be ok to get a job, what I want 2 know really is if there’s much of a social scene for people my age over there? I don’t really want to get there and find it’s mostly older couples and familys.. with nobody to go out on the town with.. and nobody to pull for that matter

Also what time of year would you say it’s best to move over there? I was thinking September time, from what I’ve read the rugby season starts at this time of year so it’d be a good place to meet people.. but I’ve also seen mentioned somewhere it’s better to go april for tax reasons, can anyone fill me in on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Matt
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: after some advice please

Amongst other criteria, to be considered Non-Resident UK, and hence the possibility of no UK tax on your overseas income, you have to be out of the UK for a complete tax year.

If you come for the long haul, when you arrive doesn't really matter. However, if you say arrive just after the start of one tax year, and return just before the end of the next, you will have been here for nearly two years, but not one complete tax year, and hence will not be Non Resident.

If you come in Sept 2008, you will need to stay overseas until April 2010 to get your tax year in.

In certain hotels here, they will be pulling you.

Last edited by Bonny Boy; Apr 17th 2008 at 9:57 am. Reason: sp
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:59 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowls..

I’m a 23 year old single bloke, thinking of moving to Dubai.. I work as a quantity surveyor so should be ok to get a job, what I want 2 know really is if there’s much of a social scene for people my age over there? I don’t really want to get there and find it’s mostly older couples and familys.. with nobody to go out on the town with.. and nobody to pull for that matter

Also what time of year would you say it’s best to move over there? I was thinking September time, from what I’ve read the rugby season starts at this time of year so it’d be a good place to meet people.. but I’ve also seen mentioned somewhere it’s better to go april for tax reasons, can anyone fill me in on this?

Matt
Loads of party people in Dubai if you are in construction i expect all the lads will take you out on the town.....
Try the Rattlesnake...Heard its a good pulling joint....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Loads of party people in Dubai if you are in construction i expect all the lads will take you out on the town.....
Try the Rattlesnake...Heard its a good pulling joint....
there's also gazillions of emirates girls (or guys)...there's no way you'd get through them all...

MM, xx
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby season is just ending now as its too hot for sport.
I guess they probably restart at the end of September.Early september is still very hot.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Amongst other criteria, to be considered Non-However, if you say arrive just after the start of one tax year, and return just before the end of the next, you will have been here for nearly two years, but not one complete tax year, and hence will not be Non Resident.
So on that point, say you went to Dubai in June 2008 for 12 months but returned to the UK in September 2009, whilst that would not be a whole tax year do you pay tax on the whole lot or do you pay tax on a portion of it as you only missed leaving the UK by 8 weeks or so??
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:45 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Just Browsing
So on that point, say you went to Dubai in June 2008 for 12 months but returned to the UK in September 2009, whilst that would not be a whole tax year do you pay tax on the whole lot or do you pay tax on a portion of it as you only missed leaving the UK by 8 weeks or so??
Don't go back ...simple as!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Just Browsing
My understanding is that that person never became Non Resident - Hence they need to be very careful!

The extra statutory concession of split year treatment (it is not a right) only applies if you get in the complete tax year. Google HMRC and look at documents SA109 and Notes on SA 109.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowls..

Matt
its not like england, thats for sure, but as a single lad you'll be fine, plenty of places to go and have fun, just don't get too hammered as you can end up in trouble, I almost did a few weeks back, but thats another story.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

when we gonna get that dive in Spugs?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

Ain't nobody i'd rather be.

My wife and I came out here at the end of Oct last year and thought that was quite a good time to move.

I am similar to you, a QS, aged 24 although i'm a football man myself!!

Not sure what type of QSing you were doing in the UK but i was in the consultancy game and that is what i'm doing over here. There are plenty of good packages for a QS working for consultants or contractors. Not sure if you have come across it before but the Contract that is used out here is called the FIDIC contract. It is very straight forward but I suggest you familiarise yourself with it before you come out.

I believe that with regard to UK tax you only need to be out of the country for a certain number of days and not the whole tax year - best to check on HMRC to confirm this though. I do know of people out here who haven't declared to the Inland Revenue that they have moved abroad but I think it's better to keep it clean - the taxman will always find out!!

Anyway good luck with the move, the experience out here is something you won't get anywhere else - I am working on the Atlantis Hotel on the Palm Jumeirah and it's phonomenal!!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few singletons over in Dubai and they absolutely love it! I can give you more info if you want it!

As for the tax pit, there are a few on here are tax experts! I still dont understand it and never will but my slight understanding is you are only allowed in the UK for 90 days of a tax year, therefore me coming over at the beginning of June 08, i should be fine for the tax year as long as i dont exceed the 90 days before April 09?! God i hope i am right this time!!! my head is battered!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:22 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
when we gonna get that dive in Spugs?
soon I hope, I'm actually going diving next weekend to Mussandam, sunds bloody brilliant.

But anytime really mate, Saturday would be best as I play footy on a Friday.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:26 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
I know a few singletons over in Dubai and they absolutely love it! I can give you more info if you want it!

As for the tax pit, there are a few on here are tax experts! I still dont understand it and never will but my slight understanding is you are only allowed in the UK for 90 days of a tax year, therefore me coming over at the beginning of June 08, i should be fine for the tax year as long as i dont exceed the 90 days before April 09?! God i hope i am right this time!!! my head is battered!

Almost right!!

In any one tax year - you can be in the UK for up to 182 days. However, over a 4 year period, the average days per year must be no more than 90 days per year.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
Almost right!!

In any one tax year - you can be in the UK for up to 182 days. However, over a 4 year period, the average days per year must be no more than 90 days per year.
Sh!t the bed i am actually getting the hang of this now!!!!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.