Advice on uk tax

Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Chibs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on uk tax

I have been offered a job in Qatar 8 weeks on 4 weeks off. My wife and son are staying in the uk but not sure if to take it due to the uk tax. I know it's not as simple as only spending 90 days a year in the uk especially as my family live there in a house I own but if I pay full uk tax, because of the supertax band it would mean I'm hardly any better off by taking the job any advice of ways round paying tax or paying less? I plan on speaking to an accountant but want some advice to see if its worthwhile so as I don't waste the money on a pointless appointment.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on uk tax

Spend less time in the UK in order to qualify as non-resident, and use some of the money you save to meet your family outside of UK.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Chibs is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I planned on doing but others have said it's not that simple?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:04 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

The above advice is sound.

Search for 'statutory UK residence test flowchart' to find out how to become and remain UK Non-Resident and thus completely UK tax and NI free. The easiest way is to be working under a full-time contract, for at least a full tax year and limiting your visits back to the UK.

You can spend a lot of time with the family with a mix of them visiting you in Qatar (school hols etc.), you visit them in the UK during your hols (but limit your days there) and you all head to a nice holiday destination when it suits.

That's what my family have done for the past four years.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The new tax rules don't prevent your being classified as non-resident merely because you have a house and family in the UK--but they do make it tougher (in terms of the days you can spend in the UK). Make sure you comply with the rules, and be creative in terms of where you meet your family.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

z66p65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,
We've got an offer of employment in Qatar and due to move there in Summer. I was wondering if you could kindly guide us on what would be the best way to pay/over-pay the mortgage on our house, which we'll be renting out whilst living in Qatar?

If we were able to save any sum there, would we be charged tax for it if we transfer it to our bank account in the UK?

How about if we were to invest in a second property in the UK, what would our tax situation be? I would really appreciate if anyone with experience in this area could give us some guidance.
Many thanks
Z