British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Advice on time taken to move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/advice-time-taken-move-527029/)

CeeBee Apr 5th 2008 1:08 pm

Advice on time taken to move

So...i've decided on a move to Dubai....i've got potential employers which I need to formalise with interviews and whatnot (don't expect any problems there though). I know roughly how much I'll be on, know where I want to live, read pretty much every thread on this forum....the lot really.

Only question I've got now is about time lengths. I've done (nearly) my degree on day release and graduate mid June although I don't actually get my piece of paper till July.

So,

is it too early to start looking for jobs?
Is it absolutely essential that I get my certificate before I come?
What's a reasonable amount of time to allow myself considering I've got a house, car, furniture and general......stuff to get rid of. No point in taking any of it out there other than my bike.

Many thanks.

lionheart Apr 5th 2008 1:24 pm

Re: Advice on time taken to move

Are you the same Ceebee that is the daughter of Beebee?

Inselaffen Apr 5th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6163122)
Are you the same Ceebee that is the daughter of Beebee?

why would someone already out here ask for advise on moving out here??
you do have some blonde moments MM would be proud of.

BeeBee's daughter was CeeCee

lionheart Apr 5th 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6163139)
why would someone already out here ask for advise on moving out here??
you do have some blonde moments MM would be proud of.

BeeBee's daughter was CeeCee

Never met her so had no idea.

CeeBee Apr 5th 2008 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6163143)
Never met her so had no idea.

Erm...simply put...no. Just a coincidence really. Wanted to change my name but can't figure out how to.

CeeBee Apr 5th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6163191)
Erm...simply put...no. Just a coincidence really. Wanted to change my name but can't figure out how to.

And I wouldn't be a daughter....wrong parts.

Coxy the Bear Apr 5th 2008 1:54 pm

Sell the bike, you won't need it!

MataHari Apr 5th 2008 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6163196)
And I wouldn't be a daughter....wrong parts.

lol...welcome young man...

Blue Cat Apr 5th 2008 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6163607)
lol...welcome young man...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

CeeBee Apr 9th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6163068)
So...i've decided on a move to Dubai....i've got potential employers which I need to formalise with interviews and whatnot (don't expect any problems there though). I know roughly how much I'll be on, know where I want to live, read pretty much every thread on this forum....the lot really.

Only question I've got now is about time lengths. I've done (nearly) my degree on day release and graduate mid June although I don't actually get my piece of paper till July.

So,

What's a reasonable amount of time to allow myself considering I've got a house, car, furniture and general......stuff to get rid of. No point in taking any of it out there other than my bike.

Many thanks.

So does this mean nobody can help me then?

ScotsExpat Apr 9th 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 6183683)
So does this mean nobody can help me then?

Looks like it............

ScotsExpat Apr 9th 2008 5:21 pm

But, hey, I'll give it a try....................

Only question I've got now is about time lengths. I've done (nearly) my degree on day release (The UAE authorities may want to know what you have been inside for!!!)and graduate mid June although I don't actually get my piece of paper till July.

So,

is it too early to start looking for jobs? It would help if we knew what the hell you have been wasting your time on for the past 4 years... BA's in Religious Studies dont go down to well over here!!!

Is it absolutely essential that I get my certificate before I come? Again, which one?? Since you wouldnt want to try and cross over or even ride a bike on SZR, I would leave the Green X Code and Cycling proficieny ones at home..

What's a reasonable amount of time to allow myself considering I've got a house, car, furniture and general......stuff to get rid of. No point in taking any of it out there other than my bike. Are you gonna be able to pack only a suitcase or will the future employers beating a path to your door give you a 40' container...

If you have the option of a container, why go through the hassle of umpteen car boot sales when you can ship it all over here and have people think you are one of those eccentric English guys.....

Many thanks.

Give us a chance to help and we may just change the habit of a lifetime and not ask you to search previous threads for yourself.....

ScotsExpat Apr 9th 2008 5:25 pm

And before anyone who knows how laid back a guy I usually am ask, yes, I have had a shitty coupla days at work and, unfortunately, CC's thread just begged for both barrels.........

:zzz::zzz:

CeeBee Apr 9th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6183731)
But, hey, I'll give it a try....................

Give us a chance to help and we may just change the habit of a lifetime and not ask you to search previous threads for yourself.....

See what I think i've done is I've asked the question in my head but it hasn't made its way onto this thread....my mind races ahead sometimes.

Lets try again;
Degree is in quantity surveying....thats also what i do for a living. The day release part just means I've done it part time...

In simple terms I'm guessing my question should be re-phrased to.....
I graduate from Uni in June but don't actually receive my degree cert until July. Is it essential that I wait for my certificate to land before I move out or can I have it posted to me from the UK?
Any potential employer will accept a confirmation of results as proof of me having obtained the degree. Its more for a residency visa perspective.

Container / suitcase wise I haven't a clue....i'm single so I won't have a family's worth of stuff to bring. Main things are tele, computer, xbox, clothes....thats about it really. Small container could be a possibility although I think i'd prefer to just start over and buy new stuff anyway.

dramaqueen Apr 9th 2008 5:54 pm

So,

Many thanks.

im in the process of moving (start end of May) and it takes some time to get all your stuff together for your visa...

your prospective employer will need the below to get your work visa:
a notourised copy of your qualifications (to get this you need to get it signed by a solicitor - sent to the embassy in in UK for validation - then sent to UAE embassy in UK for something I have no idea what) and then you can send it to your employer over here who can then apply for your work visa....
they also need (new rules) a certified copy of all your marks (why why??) for your entire degree.... if you dont have this piece of paper it can take some time to extract it from your uni office (took me ages)
also need certified copy of your passport
and 16 (??) passport photos

as for time to sort the other stuff out - i was on 3 months notice in the UK but actually with a flat to rent out/car to sell and general stuff to sort etc im quite glad i've got the time in the end... and trust me its flying by...

probably easier to start looking end of May - then by that time you have a job sorted (thinking a few interviews over a few weeks) you will have got your degree stuff and be able to provide what they need for your visa....

and if it doesnt all fall quite into place at the same time (im still feeling slightly out of control about the whole thing) who cares??!! :thumbsup: u end up in Dubai at the end of it!