Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice on salary offer

Advice on salary offer

Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

a_loc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Qatar salary offer

Hi, I have been offered a position in Qatar for 16.5k per month this includes travel, accommodation, health insurance. I'm single so I only need to consider my own expenses. I've been researching quite a bit and it seems like this offer might be quite low for the cost of living in Qatar.
I don't want to live extravagantly but I don't want to be watching my money too cautiously either. I have already negotiated the offer and this is the final figure. I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice please?!

Last edited by a_loc; Nov 30th 2020 at 3:06 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on salary offer

What is the role?

You can live off it and you won't be starving. But it depends on what you want. If you're fine with flatsharing, you can find a room for 4k a month, or even less. Spend another 4k a month to live and this is a bit on the generous side unless you go crazy with brunches. Take the metro rather than rent/own a car. You'll save money each month. If you're in your early-mid 20s then it's doable for the experience. The question is whether the experience is worth it (it's Qatar, after all).
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. It's a design role in West Bay, I've seen a few studios for 4k-6k that seem okay in the West Bay area so I'm hoping I don't have to invest in a car. I don't know anyone there so I can't imagine I would be going crazy with brunches! I've only read great things about the Qatar experience until I found this site
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

Its not brilliant but its not the worst package either for a single person. Back in 2016 when I worked for a small engineering firm (local) in Doha, they were paying me QAR 15k a month but this was with accommodation, vehicle + fuel (4WD), and all bills included. My only expenses were food, clothing and entertainment. I used to save around 10k each month which wasn't too bad. So in your shoes I'd be looking to save around 5k each month without having to live in poverty but of course that assumes you will be doing your weekly shopping at Lulu rather than Spinneys (aka Waitrose of Qatar).
Old Nov 30th 2020, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice! I need to give an answer tomorrow and so undecided. Was your role at the engineering firm a mid level or senior role?
Old Nov 30th 2020, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by a_loc
Thanks for your advice! I need to give an answer tomorrow and so undecided. Was your role at the engineering firm a mid level or senior role?
My role was fairly senior, company was ok though not great. It was a 6 day working week so didn’t get much recreation time.

I will actually be going back to Qatar soon, this time working at QP via an agency. Believe it or not, my new role with QP is less senior than previously but with 4x the salary - on a day rate of just over QAR 2k per day. Working hours with QP are great as well, 7am-2pm 5 days a week, with 2 weeks off every 4 months and a paid ticket back to Blighty thrown in as well.

Last edited by psychopomp1; Nov 30th 2020 at 6:09 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Wow that is pretty insane. I'm a clothing designer, it doesn't get the highest of salary in the UK so I'm guessing the same applies in Qatar
Old Nov 30th 2020, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

In my profession (Geomatics), UK salaries are dog shit. Around £20-30k pa even if you have a degree and tonnes of experience. But overseas work can be very rewarding, especially with the major oil and gas operators.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

To keep costs under control, I'd look for an all inclusive flatshare in West Bay and walk to work or take the shuttle that runs around West Bay in a loop.

https://housing.justlanded.com/en/Qatar/Flatshare

Also look for various facebook groups.

If you can cap your flatshare budget to 4/4500 max you should be able to survive decently enough. Studios always cost more due to the bills on top. Asas Tower is probably the best of the affordable West Bay options.

I would always plan to minimise as many local ties. No rental contract, no car leases, not even a local credit card. Just a bank card. Avoid debt at all cost. You want to be able to leave at a moment's notice if needed. Qatar doesn't work out for many and it's not common for people, especially on the lower earning side of things, to leave sooner rather than later. Many stick it out because the money is bribing them but if the money isn't fantastic, you have even less of a reason to stick it out. Doha is really, really crappy and it's money that makes it tolerable. I have to warn you that for western expats, having a good time in Qatar means spending a lot of money on brunches and drinking. It's how you meet people and it's how you pass the time when you're single or a childless couple. I drank far more in my two years in Qatar because there was bugger all to do on the weekends other than head for the bars in the evenings for a few drinks. I didn't go wild but that was every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Nov 30th 2020 at 9:06 pm.