Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Advice required- finding IT job in doha

Advice required- finding IT job in doha

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Pinky111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice required- finding IT job in doha

I am an IT professional with 12 years of software development experience and currently working in UK .
My husband got a job in doha and planning to move in few months time. My husband will be getting all the perks like housing, flight, education allowance etc.
I got the below queries
1) how easy and how to find IT jobs in Doha?
2) Do employers provide allowance to spouse as well?
3) what sort of salary to expect or how much to look far ?, as my husband will be my visa sponsor .
4) top IT Recruitment agencies ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required- finding IT job in doha

Originally Posted by Pinky111
I am an IT professional with 12 years of software development experience and currently working in UK .
My husband got a job in doha and planning to move in few months time. My husband will be getting all the perks like housing, flight, education allowance etc.
I got the below queries
1) how easy and how to find IT jobs in Doha?
2) Do employers provide allowance to spouse as well?
3) what sort of salary to expect or how much to look far ?, as my husband will be my visa sponsor .
4) top IT Recruitment agencies ?

Thanks in advance.
Doha is a very small market. Most of the IT is done by workers from South Asia who work for, well, what we'd consider nothing.

I'm not sure what is feasible for an experienced software developer in Doha. If you're on the creative side there is a boutique firm that does have some Westerners on staff. Not sure if this fits what you're looking for: https://a101.com/

Regarding benefits, don't get too hung up on what's called benefits. Most people get a lump sum salary at the end of each month. It's technically broken down into components including "housing" but that's for accounting purposes as your end of service gratuity is based only on the salary part and doesn't include any of the benefits. What companies generally not do is double up on genuine benefits like school fees or a company provided flat or villa.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

As DXBtoDOH says you will be competing with people from Bangalore and islamabad who are happy to work for the equivalent of US$1000 a month. Would you work for that ?
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

First, thanks for your information.
i am in senior position in UK and looking for good job role in Doha . Looking to earn more than UK.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinky111
First, thanks for your information.
i am in senior position in UK and looking for good job role in Doha . Looking to earn more than UK.
It's pretty much the same scenario though. Indians, typically, charged with being 'managers' or 'professionals' come armed with paperwork from a host of educational institutes, BSc, MSc, Phd and others, many equivalent to a UK high school leaving grade, and with a small amount of experience and then work for typically $1-2k per month. Companies would rather hire 3-4 of them than 1 competent western professional.

If your seniority means you are a department head managing 20-30 people or more and you have what someone happens to be looking for you might find something though it will be a very small pond you're fishing in. If it is the sort of work you can do online you might be better trying to operate freelance in a remote capacity.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Working remotely or freelancing for a company or client back home probably seems to be the best way to keep yourself busy.

You can try Vodafone or Oooredoo, the two big mobile/internet providers in Qatar. They may have something. But even then it seems most of their IT people are either Asians or other Arabs. But it runs into the same problem that if a role can be filled semi-competently enough by an Arab or South Asian, they will not hire a more expensive Westerner.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information.
will try my best to get something good if possible.
Any recruitment agencies recommended?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 11:48 am
Just Joined

johnarsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Doha is a very small market. Most of the IT is done by workers from South Asia who work for, well, what we'd consider nothing.

I'm not sure what is feasible for an experienced software developer in Doha. If you're on the creative side there is a boutique firm that does have some Westerners on staff. Not sure if this fits what you're looking for: https://a101.com/

Regarding benefits, don't get too hung up on what's called benefits. Most people get a lump sum salary at the end of each month. It's technically broken down into components including "housing" but that's for accounting purposes as your end of service gratuity is based only on the salary part and doesn't include any of the benefits. What companies generally not do is double up on genuine benefits like school fees or a company provided flat or villa.
They also wont pay housing benefit twice. This also only applies if you get employed by the same company as your husband.