Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice re buying in dubai much appreciated

Advice re buying in dubai much appreciated

Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re buying in dubai much appreciated

Originally Posted by Jeeper
As the building ages, the amount and cost of maintenance increases. As maintenance costs increase beyond a reasonable level, the relative capital value starts declining either due to the lack of maintenance or the excessive cost of it, until it's not worth forking out maintenance costs...no one wants to buy the apartments and no one wants to rent them....the place becomes derelict...and eventually hazardous, and eventually - demolished.
The last owner just loses out....by that stage though the property has probably been sold many times at lesser and lesser prices over the years.
That process would be over a century or so...probably be less here.

Much the same as a car in the end.
so thats the case in the rest of the world, all these victorian houses, just getting cheaper and falling into desrepair in the uk for eg.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
so thats the case in the rest of the world, all these victorian houses, just getting cheaper and falling into desrepair in the uk for eg.
I was referring to tall apartment buildings (given that you made reference to apartments on the 14th floor).

Victorian houses become worth maintaining due to their increased capital values due location and/or the desireability of their style....they are maintained because people think it's worth it. There's a demand.

Last edited by Jeeper; Apr 7th 2010 at 7:26 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm I missing something...why would anybody in their right mind buy a holiday home in Dubai when there are so many other countries more beautiful with nicer weather
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

nadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nice

I agree with Jeeper. Victorian houses are quite expensive in the uk and very well built and built to last.. They are not decreasing in price because of their age. Thats just not true.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadia007
I agree with Jeeper. Victorian houses are quite expensive in the uk and very well built and built to last.. They are not decreasing in price because of their age. Thats just not true.
ok i picked as an example the victorian house because obviously its older than 100 years etc. that was all. if you look in london there are a few older flats etc which are still lived in and maintained etc. another example trying to get like for like, what about the chrysler building etc.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
I'm I missing something...why would anybody in their right mind buy a holiday home in Dubai when there are so many other countries more beautiful with nicer weather
yep i agree with you there, much better places to have a holiday in.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadia007
You are the only person to have said this..EVERYBODY has advised me NOT to buy. I have even been told by developers and reputable agents that the building only last for 30 years with nothing decided about and indeed if owners will be compensated.
and yet you still feel the need to ask
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention, in places like Bali, Azores, Span, Southern France, Caribbean etc.., the location/islands/coast is unique and can't just be recreated multiple times , which is the case with Dubai's man made islands and coastal developments.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

absolutely..... currently sitting beside a pool in a villa in Bali having just wandered back down the road from a cheap lunch in a great little restaurant. looking forward to coming back tomorrow? Not us!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I don't think you are missing anything.

Dubai was a place to speculate on property and make money - those days are over.

Dubai property was also a good way of laundering any money you may have chanced upon. Probably still is, if you accept the discount of a fall in property value for turning dirty money clean.

...but a 'holiday' home in Dubai?

If you think you may be working in Dubai long term, then buying may be preferential to renting - but as we have recently seen - who has that certainty? Not many.

It's back to the old ways - come here to work and make some money, have a bit of fun with your time off, and keep a light footprint, preferably with everything employer provided. If not, be prepared for the consequences if you don't set things up so you can bail out quickly.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

nadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nicenadia007 is just really nice

I hear alot of the Russian Oligarts and iranians are buying up bargains in Dubai
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I don't think you are missing anything.

Dubai was a place to speculate on property and make money - those days are over.

Dubai property was also a good way of laundering any money you may have chanced upon. Probably still is, if you accept the discount of a fall in property value for turning dirty money clean.

...but a 'holiday' home in Dubai?

If you think you may be working in Dubai long term, then buying may be preferential to renting - but as we have recently seen - who has that certainty? Not many.

It's back to the old ways - come here to work and make some money, have a bit of fun with your time off, and keep a light footprint, preferably with everything employer provided. If not, be prepared for the consequences if you don't set things up so you can bail out quickly.
Great post - all who come to the UAE should be made to read it!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I agree its a very informative post..Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion