Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice please: Calling UK to UAE - cheaper way

Advice please: Calling UK to UAE - cheaper way

Old May 3rd 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice please: Calling UK to UAE - cheaper way

I thought these questions were already in the forum but sorry can't find it...

1) What is the cheapest (or at significantly reduced cost) way to call a mobile in UAE from a landline in the UK?

2) What is the cheapest (or at significantly reduced cost) to call from a mobile in UK to a mobile in the UAE?

3) Is there a good voice service (VOIP) that allows calls from a UK PC to a mobile here?

Sure these questions will help others maybe with relatives trying to keep in touch. You know the scenario I'm sure. You are in the UK and friends here. If you make a straight call from your mobile or from a BT landline you will pay a fortune. I would guess some people in the forum of setting up something that allows family or whoever to call them here a bit cheaper?

In relation to No.3 I think I have my own answer. I think I used Skype Out to call UAE mobiles from UK before. It was still expensive when I consider my Chinese friend can call home from a PC here in UAE for a dollar an hour or something crazy.

Many thanks...

Last edited by BlackCloud; May 3rd 2008 at 4:32 am.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice
Default Re: Advice please: Calling UK to UAE - cheaper way

I'm not sure of the answer to parts 1 + 2, but I think VoIP from Yahoo messenger is the absolute cheapest--less than .01/minute (half the price of Skype)...
Old May 4th 2008, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BlackCloud

1) What is the cheapest (or at significantly reduced cost) way to call a mobile in UAE from a landline in the UK?

2) What is the cheapest (or at significantly reduced cost) to call from a mobile in UK to a mobile in the UAE?

3) Is there a good voice service (VOIP) that allows calls from a UK PC to a mobile here?

Sure these questions will help others maybe with relatives trying to keep in touch. You know the scenario I'm sure. You are in the UK and friends here. If you make a straight call from your mobile or from a BT landline you will pay a fortune. I would guess some people in the forum of setting up something that allows family or whoever to call them here a bit cheaper?

In relation to No.3 I think I have my own answer. I think I used Skype Out to call UAE mobiles from UK before. It was still expensive when I consider my Chinese friend can call home from a PC here in UAE for a dollar an hour or something crazy.

Many thanks...
I looked at this a while ago, all VOIP carriers (in fact all telco's) must pay a "termination" charge per minute to use Etisalat's network. From memory, the big ones, Skype, Yahoo, MSN all charge around 15p/minute to call UAE, there appears to be no cheaper solution as yet. Until Etisalat drop this fee (which is very unlikely), it'll be this price for ever!

Its cheaper for someone to call you from UAE to UK via VOIP (which is technically illegal in UAE, but don't let that stop you) at 1p/minute that you calling them.
Old May 6th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

expat_forever is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Skype for everything: from a computer to a computer, from my computer to a land/ cell phone. I usually call to 3 different countries. No hidden fees, and quality is good (depending on my Internet connection though)
Old May 7th 2008, 5:14 am
Just Joined

jumeirahjen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlackCloud

Many thanks...
We call home using a Tesco internet phone! As long as you have a good internet connection? It's cheap and free if the person on the other end has one as well! i'm not quite sure how it sorks but ours is registered to a local number in scotland! The only catch is someone would have to buy one for you and send it over! We've been using ours here for two years and although there's a bit of a delay some times it works for us! it's like pay as you go on the computer you just have to keep topping up your account! Hope this is of some help!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

Skype is good..i like it

Originally Posted by expat_forever
I use Skype for everything: from a computer to a computer, from my computer to a land/ cell phone. I usually call to 3 different countries. No hidden fees, and quality is good (depending on my Internet connection though)
Old May 7th 2008, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

EbonyPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

EVEN CHEAPER:

0871 342 6040
0871 342 0505

9p/min from UK to UAE landline/mobile

Any suggestions on cheap phonecard in Dubai for international calls?
Old May 8th 2008, 7:37 am
Just Joined

woodster6959 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Skype, set my profile to the UAE, and then calling UK is EURO 0.017 per minute when calling a landline, and EURO 0.20 per minute to UK mobiles.