Reload this Page >

Advice Needed! UAE Labor Law...

Advice Needed! UAE Labor Law...

Old May 29th 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

katykins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed! UAE Labor Law...

Hi,

I'm from the UK and have was offered a job whilst here on a visit visa. I verbally accepted the role and have had to wait 8 weeks for the offer to come in writing. Through many discussions, I have really come to dislike the company and would prefer not to work for them but due to turning down other offers, I had no option left. I have only signed my letter of offer, nothing else and I haven't started work yet. My start date is 1st June or whenever my work permit is agreed (whichever is sooner). I haven't even had my medical yet and I wondered if I had another offer from another company, can I take this offer????

I really don't know where I stand legally!

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Old May 29th 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed! UAE Labor Law...

Hi Katykins,

If you do not want to take the job- DO NOT TAKE IT. If things seem dodgy now they will only get a damn site worse, you would be crazy to take the job! You may feel like you have no other options, but getting stuck out here in a job you hate will drive you mad and you'll end up unhappy and stuck here! Honestly I would jump ship now! Don't feel they have you backed in a corner as you can still run away!

Trust your gut instint, and if its screaming don't take it then don't!

x
Old May 29th 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying!!

Do you know, if I backed out of this job, would it stop me from obtaining another one here i.e. visa clearance??

x
Old May 29th 2010, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not entirely sure how the ban system works out here, one of the older members might be able to tell you, as you haven't started yet I would have thought it would be ok but here in cuckoo land who knows! If it is a problem then it would be a 6 month ban.

Worth baring in mind- Under UAE labor law, if you take a job here and leave your contract early you could be liable to pay for the ammount of time you have left on your contract so if your not sure then don't risk it! I think its around 5k for every month you have left on your contract so could mean you literally can't leave if you can't afford it.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Oh gosh! Right okay, I really need to look in to this some more.

Thanks for your advice! x
Old May 29th 2010, 4:25 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by katykins
Oh gosh! Right okay, I really need to look in to this some more.

Thanks for your advice! x
They can also ban you from working at another company IF they have issued your visa. However, it sounds as the visa has not been issued so there I dont think theres much they can do. Once you are on their visas they have you by the proverbial balls, if not you are free to F off whenever you like.

Good luck.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:42 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying!!

Do you know, if I backed out of this job, would it stop me from obtaining another one here i.e. visa clearance??

x
if you haven't had your medical then they can't issue your visa, so tell them no, apologise a lot and get teh hell out.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:32 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm from the UK and have was offered a job whilst here on a visit visa. I verbally accepted the role and have had to wait 8 weeks for the offer to come in writing. Through many discussions, I have really come to dislike the company and would prefer not to work for them but due to turning down other offers, I had no option left. I have only signed my letter of offer, nothing else and I haven't started work yet. My start date is 1st June or whenever my work permit is agreed (whichever is sooner). I haven't even had my medical yet and I wondered if I had another offer from another company, can I take this offer????

I really don't know where I stand legally!

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
It's very simple. If they have not applied for your Labour permit and/or residency you can walk away at any time. Offer letters are virtually meaningless here and certainly don't constitute a contract of employment.

Eight weeks to get an offer in writing is an alarm bell if ever I heard one! My current employer sent mine within a week after the director emailed me with a clear offer of employment.

You can tell a lot from a company by how they handle your case when they intially hire. In my experience it's best to keep away from companies that cannot quickly and firmly make offers and start visa processes. You'll find you will have trouble getting gratuity etc when you leave and they may hold your passport and make life difficult for you.

N.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I'm not entirely sure how the ban system works out here, one of the older members might be able to tell you, as you haven't started yet I would have thought it would be ok but here in cuckoo land who knows! If it is a problem then it would be a 6 month ban.

Worth baring in mind- Under UAE labor law, if you take a job here and leave your contract early you could be liable to pay for the ammount of time you have left on your contract so if your not sure then don't risk it! I think its around 5k for every month you have left on your contract so could mean you literally can't leave if you can't afford it.
This depends on whether you are on a limited or unlimited contract. No bans in free zones either.

-
Old May 30th 2010, 11:17 am
Just Joined

hey, thanks everyone for replying!

they did take a copy of my passport and also passport pictures for the visa and i was told that they would apply on my behalf and that the PRO (i think its called) would contact me to take me to the medical. i've not heard anything since last week and going by what someone said earlier, if i haven't performed the medical then the visa can't be issued? so even if it's been applied for, it sounds like i can back out anyway...

i don't know as of yet if it is a limited or unlimited contract as i haven't started and haven't even seen the contract. i've only been sent the offer letter. i know i won't be on a fixed term if that is of any use?

i've had another interview with a different company and i've been shortlisted with them. i'm waiting to hear if i've been successful (and i would much prefer the job). i had a long wait during the 8 weeks and towards the end, i did start to look again for work and attending interviews.

i will wait and see what happens with this other job and try my luck at pulling out if i haven't been for the medical yet.

thanks again!
Old May 30th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Katykins
just go home
otherwise you will procrastinate, get a crap contract with the crap firm and then be on here moaning about how shit life is, in your shit job, being treated like shit and your only solace will be shopping and getting chatted up by fat old bald men in some sleezy bar

Follow your gut feeling, tell the company you are no longer interested politely as they technically havent done anything wrong other than be there normal selves and then move on

theres a good girl
Old May 30th 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Tockalosh but keep your negative comments to yourself thanks.
I'm not new to living abroad, I'm new to Dubai. Please do not insult me with such tones.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

azeds is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not new to living abroad, I'm new to Dubai. Please do not insult me with such tones.
I Dont think his comments were Negative Katykins, he was simply telling you what happens here day in day out and that you potentially would be one of those people
Old May 30th 2010, 5:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, he's right = plenty of people in Dubai took shit jobs and are just like that.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

That may well be but I asked for advice on my legal situation, not an opinion on whether I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks anyway for everyones help, think I have enough information now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.