British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Advice needed please! (Abu Dhabi) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/advice-needed-please-abu-dhabi-847079/)

olivelarkin Nov 14th 2014 9:19 pm

Advice needed please! (Abu Dhabi)

Hello! My husband recently received an offer of employment in Abu Dhabi. We have until Monday to decide whether to pack up our son and move to the UAE. I am a little hesitant and need some urgent advice. I apologise if all these questions have been asked and answered before.

1. Is AED250,000 a reasonable housing allowance for 2 adults and a child? I know you can find some nice villas around that price point in Khalifa City A etc. However, several people told me that the roads are really dangerous and we should try to live as close as possible to schools, work etc. I assume the housing allowance is based on your position in the company so there is probably not much room for negotiation.

2. Does anyone work for one of the Sovereign Wealth Funds? We read some very negative reviews on the internet. I am very worried about moving over there only to find out that bonuses are not paid etc.

3. A few people advised us not to enrol our son at the newer schools as they have no academic record, high turn-over etc etc. However, it appears that we have next to no chance of enrolling her at one of the 'good' schools. My husband's prospective employer keeps reassuring us that expats always get their children into good schools and that there is no reason to turn down the job because of the long wait lists. Again, I am a little skeptical??

4. I know this question is difficult to answer but approximately how much does it cost to get set up in AD? I referred to the spreadsheets on this Forum, however, the data appears to be from 2010. The company is offering us AED70,000 to move, get set up etc. Of course, a lot of it will come down to taste etc but I just want to get an idea of whether it is doable on AED70,000?

Thanks so much! Any advice will be very much appreciated. My husband is ready to start packing but I am a little concerned!.

busybee2 Nov 15th 2014 3:37 am

Re: Advice needed please! (Abu Dhabi)

250k is an excellent price for villas. the roads are dangerous not just in kca they are mad drivers all over... 250k is a lot of money if you convert to gbp kca is not the getto or anything and cheaper because of it. assumming the housing allowances are based on position, i can tell you that that figure is way above the normal figures people have so you are doing fine with it..... you will struggle getting a place at any of the schools, popular or unpopular but then again you havent said age of child, the lower years more difficult and stand very little chance. you have to apply to all schs the new ones too, just because they have no academic record if your child is in the lower years it doesnt matter it would be more difficult if you are in the exam years. again 70k set up is more than anyone usually gets some will get shipping and thats about it.... so believe me thats above the norm!

Patsy Stoned Nov 15th 2014 7:31 am

Re: Advice needed please! (Abu Dhabi)

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11472809)
250k is an excellent price for villas. the roads are dangerous not just in kca they are mad drivers all over... 250k is a lot of money if you convert to gbp kca is not the getto or anything and cheaper because of it. assumming the housing allowances are based on position, i can tell you that that figure is way above the normal figures people have so you are doing fine with it..... you will struggle getting a place at any of the schools, popular or unpopular but then again you havent said age of child, the lower years more difficult and stand very little chance. you have to apply to all schs the new ones too, just because they have no academic record if your child is in the lower years it doesnt matter it would be more difficult if you are in the exam years. again 70k set up is more than anyone usually gets some will get shipping and thats about it.... so believe me thats above the norm!

But then again... what is the basic salary?.. All those allowances and only 8k a month basic won't work :-D