Reload this Page >

Advice needed on Abu Dhabi

Advice needed on Abu Dhabi

Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Dino83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed on Abu Dhabi

Hello all

First off all wanted to say what a great forum this is and thank you to all who have contributed to this forum and helped people who are unsure about moving out to the Middle East.

My scenario is I have been offered a role with Etihad Airways based in Abu Dhabi. They have offered me a package of 18k Dhm a month, which includes my housing allowance of 7k (totalling 84k a year). I have also been given a 1 off 10K settling in allowance for me to use once I come out.

I have a young family, 2 kids, a 2 year old and 2 month old child, realistically can I live a 'normal' life on that package.

Etihad Airways have a good a career progression rate and I could potentially move up and earn a better salary later on and I am aware of schooling fees but thankfully I have a little time in preparing myself before the kids start school.

Anyone on here working for Etihad?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:50 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on Abu Dhabi

Where do you live now, and what are your expectations for the kind of lifestyle you want to lead in the UAE?

My own opinion, as a Westerner with my own set of expectations and comparisons, is that 18k is a terrible salary for a family of four. Thinking of it as 11k per month plus 7k housing allowance just makes it worse. Housing in AD is reputedly more expensive than Dubai, and 84k a year in Dubai will get you sod-all as a new tenant these days unless you're happy to live way out on the fringes, and even then you're still only talking small apartments. Forget about villas, even bottom-end ones will cost you pretty much your entire salary each month.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jun 6th 2014 at 10:14 am.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Where do you live now, and what are your expectations for the kind of lifestyle you want to lead in the UAE?

My own opinion, as a Westerner with my own set of expectations and comparisons, is that 18k is a terrible salary for a family of four. Thinking of it as 11k per month plus 7k housing allowance just makes it worse. Housing in AD is reputedly more expensive than Dubai, and 84k a year in Dubai will get you sod-all as a new tenant these days unless you're happy to live way out on the fringes, and even then you're still only talking small apartments. Forget about villas, even bottom-end ones will cost you pretty much your entire salary each month.
Thank you for replying. At the moment I am in the UK and haven't moved out as yet. I still have the option of declining the role.

My expectations are to have a simple and quiet life, maybe go out for a meal now and then. I did see a 2 bed apartments in the Al Reem areas for 85K and thought that was ok.

Also I keep seeing Al Ghadeer online but from the looks of it, it seems a bit away from AD.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just so we're clear, the total you'll receive is 18k per month, out of which you'll have to pay rent (and utilities and transportation)?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Just so we're clear, the total you'll receive is 18k per month, out of which you'll have to pay rent (and utilities and transportation)?
Hi, Yes that is correct. But lets just assume I have paid my annual rent, that would leave me around 11k to play around with.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dino83
Hi, Yes that is correct. But lets just assume I have paid my annual rent, that would leave me around 11k to play around with.
That would be so incredibly tight in UAE, and would not be enough to get your eldest into school when the time comes. See the Cost of Living in the UAE wiki, located at the top of the Middle East page here.

Abu Dhabi really isn't cheap (or even reasonable).
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That would be so incredibly tight in UAE, and would not be enough to get your eldest into school when the time comes. See the Cost of Living in the UAE wiki, located at the top of the Middle East page here.

Abu Dhabi really isn't cheap (or even reasonable).
Yes I guess you are right. I didn't realise AD was soo expensive. In your experience, what would be the minimum I would need to survive with 2 kids. (not including schooling fees).
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:26 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

My expectations are to have a simple and quiet life, maybe go out for a meal now and then
A salary that low would ensure that you wouldn't have much other choice.

I did see a 2 bed apartments in the Al Reem areas for 85K and thought that was ok
It's quite common for rental properties to be advertised at attractively low rents, purely to generate calls. And when you do call, you get told "Oh sorry, that one's just gone, but I've got another one here for 95K..."

Even if you do manage to find something you like for 85K, expect a hefty rent increase next year. Presumably Etihad will allow you to take your housing allowance as an 84K upfront lump sum? Make sure you confirm that with them, otherwise you're going to have to find a way of coming up with the full year's rent in advance - for many people, that means having to take a bank loan (interest-bearing, of course).

Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend anyone with a family to come out here for such a low salary. I'd suggest 30K *minimum*, and even then you won't be rolling in it, not with rent and (soon) school fees to pay.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eeyore
A salary that low would ensure that you wouldn't have much other choice.

It's quite common for rental properties to be advertised at attractively low rents, purely to generate calls. And when you do call, you get told "Oh sorry, that one's just gone, but I've got another one here for 95K..."

Even if you do manage to find something you like for 85K, expect a hefty rent increase next year. Presumably Etihad will allow you to take your housing allowance as an 84K upfront lump sum? Make sure you confirm that with them, otherwise you're going to have to find a way of coming up with the full year's rent in advance - for many people, that means having to take a bank loan (interest-bearing, of course).

Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend anyone with a family to come out here for such a low salary. I'd suggest 30K *minimum*, and even then you won't be rolling in it, not with rent and (soon) school fees to pay.
Oh really, there goes my Middle East Dream!

I actually thought 11k - which equates to about £1800 a month - was more then enough. In the UK I get paid around that much and pretty much survive without going overboard.

Etihad have confirmed they would give me a cheque upfront of 84K.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

What type of work would you be doing for Etihad? A fair few people I know work for them and that salary is very low.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by soukie
What type of work would you be doing for Etihad? A fair few people I know work for them and that salary is very low.
I will be a Ground Dispatcher.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really, there goes my Middle East Dream!

I actually thought 11k - which equates to about £1800 a month - was more then enough. In the UK I get paid around that much and pretty much survive without going overboard.

Etihad have confirmed they would give me a cheque upfront of 84K.
but you dnt have to pay huge rents like we have to in auh and the extra costs as well for utilities and set up costs etc. and school fees too, nurseries are just as expensive.

teachers are on about 11k a month but thats with everything paid for rent, utitlities, furniture and school fees, so thats 11k or whatever in their pocket.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I really think you should stay where you are - as others have said you will not be better off here. Living costs are very high here and the "tax free" element is easily used up.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by soukie
I really think you should stay where you are - as others have said you will not be better off here. Living costs are very high here and the "tax free" element is easily used up.
Yes I guess your right. Thank you guys for your input, really helpful.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:53 pm
Soupy twist

It's interesting and quite telling that Etihad would offer a Westerner with a family such a low salary. A sign of the times here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.