Advice Needed!!

Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:03 am
Just Joined

sept2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed!!

It looks almost definite that we will be moving to Dubai next month and I wondered if anyone could offer any advice? Apologies if these questions have already been asked but I am new to the forum so am just trying to get my bearings...!!
We are a family of four (with 2 Children - 2.5years and 8 months) and my husband will be based at the Gate Village, Dubai International Financial Centre. I have looked into where to live (and will be able to look around when we arrive as accommodation is provided while our visa's are being sorted) but wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere good to live for families? Also are there pre-schools or baby groups etc? I will be at home with the children so am planning to get networking pretty quickly if poss...and finally can I get away with not driving? A friend mentioned if we lived on the Arabian Ranch I may be okay as they have a local community centre and great on site facilities??
Thanks in advance......
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed!!

Originally Posted by sept2008
It looks almost definite that we will be moving to Dubai next month and I wondered if anyone could offer any advice? Apologies if these questions have already been asked but I am new to the forum so am just trying to get my bearings...!!
We are a family of four (with 2 Children - 2.5years and 8 months) and my husband will be based at the Gate Village, Dubai International Financial Centre. I have looked into where to live (and will be able to look around when we arrive as accommodation is provided while our visa's are being sorted) but wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere good to live for families? Also are there pre-schools or baby groups etc? I will be at home with the children so am planning to get networking pretty quickly if poss...and finally can I get away with not driving? A friend mentioned if we lived on the Arabian Ranch I may be okay as they have a local community centre and great on site facilities??
Thanks in advance......
where you live really depends on your budget...ranches will take about 30-40 mins to get to difc, so you may want to live closer...

yes, there are nurseries, but most of the good ones have waiting lists so you will need to get your name down for them, but the one you choose will depend on where you are living... there are loads of baby groups too, check out this website for info on both, plus parks, play areas and loads more... http://www.dubaikidz.biz/

MM, xx
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Major Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some really nice compound villa (houses in a common area with shared recreation facilities and gardens) areas in Jumeirah and Umm Suqueim right near the beach and nurseries, so it's a great area for kids and not too far from DIFC either. This is also an area with nice cafes, shops, gardens etc. Be careful if you look into villas in Satwa (just next to Jumeirah), I know some people with really nice villas there but they're going to be demolished for new constructions at the end of the year or the start of next year. So make sure you check out the situation thoroughly before putting your money down for a villa in Satwa or Jumeirah 1. Other potential fareas for villas not too far away and in the right direction (against the traffic) for your husband to get to work are Al Barsha and the Springs (really nice and green with pools, gardens and lakes), but if you have the money and are lucky enough to find something in Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim I would go for that as a first choice. A good source of information is the Dubai Residents Guide that you can purchase at any Spinneys supermarket bookstore here in the UAE. It tells you what papers you need to get when renting and gives an outline of the different areas. Two good websites for rentals are www.dubizzle.com and www.gnads4u.com (Gulf News). Good luck!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much!!

xx
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Can you recommend any area to live that is resonably priced and good for a family that is near to the difc??

xxx
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

what's your budget?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for replying!!
20-22k (UK) per year initially - is this enough?? We are happy to get an apartment if that is more affordable - pref 3 bed but we could manage with 2 until we are up and running so that year 2 we could hopefully afford something bigger....
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

That is approximately 150,000 dhs that you have to play with. It won't get you a villa so you will have to consider an apartment. I know you say that you don't mind an apartment but I think it would drive you round the bend with two little ones. We have an apartment and a 4 year old but I wouldn't consider having a second child in here. When relocating you have to take alot of things into consideration, is this move going to be a drop in lifestyle for you and your family? I would give up a house in your home country for an apartment here But that is of course your decision. You should ideally look at the Lamcy Plaza area of town, or Mankhool, Satwa etc and then try for a school place at DESS

I am not sure of prices in Mirdiff you may be lucky and get something there, the commute to DIFC is not too bad now since the new bridge.

Good Luck
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the information!!

The idea of re-locating to Dubai is to make a better life and future for our family and although we would be leaving a spacious 4 bed house in a nice area - we feel that the long term gain and quality of life would out weigh this...do you agree? Are you happy there? Does your little one enjoy the life? Sorry to bombard you with questions!!

Would you choose Dubai over the UK as a place to bring your kids up and build a future?? It's a big step and I'd welcome some advice and sound knowledge...

xx
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for replying!!
20-22k (UK) per year initially - is this enough?? We are happy to get an apartment if that is more affordable - pref 3 bed but we could manage with 2 until we are up and running so that year 2 we could hopefully afford something bigger....
Arabian Ranches is a good place to live and has most of the facilities that you would require, although not sure about nursery school etc, but there is a school here, together with a supermarket, doctors, dentists, chemists, etc etc. I did notice in the estate agents in the shopping centre yesterday 3 bed villas for 180k. I need to nip down there later and will make further enquiries re website details etc that you could possibly look at if that's any help.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

That would be fab and much appreciated!

XX
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Thank you so much for the information!!

The idea of re-locating to Dubai is to make a better life and future for our family and although we would be leaving a spacious 4 bed house in a nice area - we feel that the long term gain and quality of life would out weigh this...do you agree? Are you happy there? Does your little one enjoy the life? Sorry to bombard you with questions!!

Would you choose Dubai over the UK as a place to bring your kids up and build a future?? It's a big step and I'd welcome some advice and sound knowledge...

xx
tough one, but I am going to say no I wouldn't come here if I was in your position but that also depends on the figures involved with your husbands salary, if it is an opportunity to bag some serious cash then why not? Now you are going to be sitting there thinking why is she saying that when she is there with a young child and is very happy. I have been here a long time and fortunately we are not paying extortionate rent. I feel that if you are leaving you leave to better yourself, giving up a 4 bedroomed house to come to a 2 bed apartment here at construction HQ, it aint worth it. This isn't the old Dubai that was quiet and cheap etc, alot has changed. I think if you could get a villa then I would say yes, go for it. But two kids in an apartment won't be much fun trust me. let's see if Scarletfan finds anything more out.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:32 pm
Concierge

also whereabouts are you living in the UK? quiet place or city life?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

We live in a nice village just outside a town. However the cost of living is crazy and we have a huge mortgage!! Also because of new developments locally we have been pushed just out of decent school catchments so we are not 100% happy here. Moving to Dubai would mean earning some serious money instead of treading water and the chance to build a great future (pay off the uk debt while living in a safe enviroment and better quality of life for our kids in the mean time) so we are pretty keen...

I guess I need to check out these prices because looking on Prime location website and Right.move it says that we could rent a decent place in a good area on that budget so I am slightly confused?? Also the apartments in Dubai Marina look pretty spacious?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

House Hunters have recently set up in Arabian Ranches.
Their website may not have the cheaper 2 bed townhouses, however, according to their agent, these are now appearing on the market frequently, starting from AED170k, but generally in Palmera expect to pay around the 180 - 190k per annum.
They advised to visit their website, which has lots of useful information, and in the meantime let me know when you are coming over and we can keep an eye out for private lets. I know there are a couple at the end of our street, however, unsure how many bedrooms these have.
www.househuntersdubai.com.
Apparently, unlike other real estate agents in Dubai, they try to update their website every other day! Proceed with caution on this advise though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.