British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Advice needed... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/advice-needed-551779/)

Jeeper Jul 28th 2008 5:12 pm

Advice needed...

...on what could prove to be an interesting situation.

Today I had a 4x4 tailgatting me flashing his lights etc....usual story.
I did not move over as I was still passing other vehicles.

He gave up waiting and dropped back - went across 3 lanes to the slow lane and undertook a load of cars.....came back to the fast lane and cut me off within inches. I braked hard and the car that had come up behind me locked up but didn't hit. I was doing 120 in a 120k zone.

I was 1. shaking and 2. rather pissed off so I followed him flashing my lights at him and beeping the horn generally indicating my dissaproval of him having an attempt at my life.

He was driving a run of the mill 4x4 with Dubai reg plates. I stopped following him as he headed sharjah direction.

3 hours later and I get a call from Sharjah police asking me to go to the station tomorrow night. They wouldn't say why.

Advice?

No - I did not give the finger BTW - just flashing the lights and beeping the horn....never tried to get back in front of him either.

Eva Jul 28th 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Advice needed...

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6619785)
...on what could prove to be an interesting situation.

Today I had a 4x4 tailgatting me flashing his lights etc....usual story.
I did not move over as I was still passing other vehicles.

He gave up waiting and dropped back - went across 3 lanes to the slow lane and undertook a load of cars.....came back to the fast lane and cut me off within inches. I braked hard and the car that had come up behind me locked up but didn't hit. I was doing 120 in a 120k zone.

I was 1. shaking and 2. rather pissed off so I followed him flashing my lights at him and beeping the horn generally indicating my dissaproval of him having an attempt at my life.

He was driving a run of the mill 4x4 with Dubai reg plates. I stopped following him as he headed sharjah direction.

3 hours later and I get a call from Sharjah police asking me to go to the station tomorrow night. They wouldn't say why.

Advice?

No - I did not give the finger BTW - just flashing the lights and beeping the horn....never tried to get back in front of him either.

Are you male or female? Did you see other driver? you refer Male. You or other have passengers? Either driver could have reported you..........
Don't envy your position but best of luck

Jeeper Jul 28th 2008 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6619822)
Are you male or female? Did you see other driver? you refer Male. You or other have passengers? Either driver could have reported you..........
Don't envy your position but best of luck

Male, no other passengers.
Refer male but no idea if it was male of female or what nationality or what. never saw the person.

MrsHaps Jul 28th 2008 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6619830)
Refer male but no idea if it was male of female or what nationality or what. never saw the person.

Find yourself a female passenger and possibly a couple of kids.... at least then the passenger can say you were all fearful for your life, by his/her driving! If it was a local its guaranteed there was a car full and they are related to the bloody chief or something!!!!!

Otherwise just move the frick over.... it aint worth risking your life for!

Madam Medusa Jul 28th 2008 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6619830)

oh god jeeper...just stick with the truth and don't deviate from it...do you know anyone who speaks arabic, might be really, really useful if you do...i know from when i had my accident, and i wasn't the guilty party, it's bloody difficult to understand what they are saying to you, and you may be asked to sign something...

MM, xx

Eva Jul 28th 2008 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6620058)
Find yourself a female passenger and possibly a couple of kids.... at least then the passenger can say you were all fearful for your life, by his/her driving! If it was a local its guaranteed there was a car full and they are related to the bloody chief or something!!!!!

Otherwise just move the frick over.... it aint worth risking your life for!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Besides corroboration counts for nothing in such situations in UAE anyway.
Agree with MM, tell it how it is.
Maybe a company pro could go with you.
Good luck

Jeeper Jul 28th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6620067)
oh god jeeper...just stick with the truth and don't deviate from it...do you know anyone who speaks arabic, might be really, really useful if you do...i know from when i had my accident, and i wasn't the guilty party, it's bloody difficult to understand what they are saying to you, and you may be asked to sign something...

MM, xx

Not being married i'm not getting any females involved.

I hate this cr.ap

I won't be signing anything either. I will just go and be humble and apologise profusely etc etc etc

MataHari Jul 29th 2008 5:25 am

I have been in a similar situation...driving from Mirdif to DCC one evening there was an old Patrol right behind me, pushing...got overtaken, he got in front of me and slowed down, so I overtook him and so on...I wanted to get rid of him so speeded up and he started following me and at one point he tried to push me off the road...I was driving an open Wrangler and had 3 male friends in the car with me and we sort of laughed at first but it got really dangerous after a bit...guy came driving next to us, winded his window down and told me to stop, told him to fck off (being brave)....he then followed me into the parking lot of DCC, overtook me and cut me off, got out of his car and starting ranting at me for driving dangerously...writing my registration number down saying he was gonna call the police and told me to wait there...I told him that it was him who was being dangerous one following me around and I was just trying to get rid of him, then I walked away...
Anticlimax...never heard anything about it...

Spugsy Jul 29th 2008 5:35 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6621918)
I have been in a similar situation...driving from Mirdif to DCC one evening there was an old Patrol right behind me, pushing...got overtaken, he got in front of me and slowed down, so I overtook him and so on...I wanted to get rid of him so speeded up and he started following me and at one point he tried to push me off the road...I was driving an open Wrangler and had 3 male friends in the car with me and we sort of laughed at first but it got really dangerous after a bit...guy came driving next to us, winded his window down and told me to stop, told him to fck off (being brave)....he then followed me into the parking lot of DCC, overtook me and cut me off, got out of his car and starting ranting at me for driving dangerously...writing my registration number down saying he was gonna call the police and told me to wait there...I told him that it was him who was being dangerous one following me around and I was just trying to get rid of him, then I walked away...
Anticlimax...never heard anything about it...

just trying his luck, there's a lot of emiratis out there like that, I saw a youngish emirati girl, about 19 at the pick'n'mix at DFC on the weekend, just walked up, took a handful of sweets, laughed at the poor phillipino girl and walked away eating them without paying.

heh, 'fck off' - you are nails you MH, proper nails.

MataHari Jul 29th 2008 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6621934)
just trying his luck, there's a lot of emiratis out there like that, I saw a youngish emirati girl, about 19 at the pick'n'mix at DFC on the weekend, just walked up, took a handful of sweets, laughed at the poor phillipino girl and walked away eating them without paying.

heh, 'fck off' - you are nails you MH, proper nails.

yeah I know...it would have been different I guess if I had been by myself to be honest but I just felt like I was not letting him me intimidate me like that...and also the fact that he was driving an old banger of a car, if he'd been driving some top of the range new car I might have responded differently as well...I was slightly shaky afterwards though, jeez...
I also said to him that he should be more respectful to me as I could have been his mom and that one of the guys was my son (which was a lie but he)....that did shut him up...

Bodach Jul 29th 2008 6:07 am

Yeah happened to me last week, same thing tail gating on the 311, Suburban blacked out windows, flashed an honked his horn, I was doing 120 in the outside lane, 4x4 in front and no place to go on inside, the guy forced his way in to next lane and drove next to me, lowered his window and it was a policeman, need I say more. I pointed out to him car in front of me and no place to go, he just looked and fell back in behind me untill I could get out of the fast lane, he got passed me and did the exact same to the 4x4 in front of him. So if that is how the police drive, what more can we expect!

Bod.

Spugsy Jul 29th 2008 6:10 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6621946)
yeah I know...it would have been different I guess if I had been by myself to be honest but I just felt like I was not letting him me intimidate me like that...and also the fact that he was driving an old banger of a car, if he'd been driving some top of the range new car I might have responded differently as well...I was slightly shaky afterwards though, jeez...
I also said to him that he should be more respectful to me as I could have been his mom and that one of the guys was my son (which was a lie but he)....that did shut him up...

yeah it does sound scary, some people drive like idiots, some bloke ina hummer came screaming up behind us, flashed us from 300 metres away he was going so fast, mrs spugs put her foot down to get out of the fast lane but had to overtake 2 cars and basically pulled in and he was about 6 feet behind us and flew by - she was shaken up by that, daft bastard that he was.

Well good for you for sticking up for yourself.

Jeeper Jul 29th 2008 1:00 pm

It took a while but the end result was basically....

Went....explained......they told me..."no case - go home".

Waste of time and 18 hours of stress......guy just trying to give me a fright it seems....the lengths these clowns will go to to make a point.

Not that he has a point.....I couldn't move over, he was stuck behind me - get over it mr mr.

:zzz:

MataHari Jul 29th 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6623494)
It took a while but the end result was basically....

Went....explained......they told me..."no case - go home".

Waste of time and 18 hours of stress......guy just trying to give me a fright it seems....the lengths these clowns will go to to make a point.

Not that he has a point.....I couldn't move over, he was stuck behind me - get over it mr mr.

:zzz:

glad to hear it...there are some right twats about...

jrudofsky Jul 29th 2008 1:05 pm

Glad to hear about the successful outcome........... not as you say there should have been any 'case' in the first place!

I don't supposed you inquired whether they might be persuing the other driver for dangerous driving...........!!!