Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice moving to KSA (Riyadh)

Advice moving to KSA (Riyadh)

Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:25 am
Just Joined

gavnnik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice moving to KSA (Riyadh)

We've been in Dubai for the last couple of years but now my wife has been offered what looks to be a good job in Riyadh with one of the hospitals.

The salary offered is certainly above what's available in Dubai - for the sake of modesty lets say SR37-42,000 as Head of Nursing.

As part of the package they have offered a 3 bed apartment in one of their accomodations (although we don't know where that is yet) or an allowance of SR45,000.

I know accomodation is cheaper than Dubai but that doesn't sound much to cover getting something in a compound which we'd want to do.

I'd welcome any comments from people working in the Healthcare profession in KSA.

Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:59 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice moving to KSA (Riyadh)

So your wife is going to Riyadh and you are staying in Dubai or don't you have a job yourself? Never heard of a husband getting KSA residency on a wife's visa over there. Please elaborate as this mind boggles.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

gavnnik is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be going together with two kids (6 and 9).

I manage a recruitment company based in Dubai for a UK group.

I'll either:

1) Open an operation in Riyadh for the same company
2) Try to find a job in Riyadh
3) Freelance (I've plenty of contacts and can get myself an Iqama without too much hassle).

I know this is glibly over simplifying things but if I need to commute back of forth for 3-6 months it's do-able.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

My wife works in one of the major hospitals here on the nursing side. Procedurally it can be challenging.

The Saudization process is also well under way in many of the hospitals.

Cat herding skills, a thick skin and political multi-ethnic management capabilities are an essential requirement, I'd say.

The allowance won't cover any of the compounds I know of. 3 beds run from 75K to double that.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:40 am
Just Joined

trave11er is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gavnnick,

SR45,000 won't go too far in landing a 3 bed apartment in a compound in Riyadh .. I did a lot of research on accommodation when I was trying to land something myself and don't believe this would be enough.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Having just left Riyadh last week , now in AL Khobar. your costs for a 3 bedroom in any compound are way short of the mark. i was paying 60k for a small 2 bed flat in a compound and compound availability is very short.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, ditto, you need to be looking at a minimum of 60k SR for a small 2 bed flat. THis really is the starting point, and will go from here upwards. We are in a large 3 bed villa, costs the company 280,000 sr per year.