Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:19 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Originally Posted by Scamp
There is someone in our office that does, not sure if he's any good though.

Most people in here are spastics.
spastics are generally not that good at recruitment, but if you know any good IT recruiters I'm more interested
Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
spastics are generally not that good at recruitment, but if you know any good IT recruiters I'm more interested
I'm not sure I agree with your first statement. Would you like a tour of my office? 40 odd staff and I rate (obvsiously myself included) about 4 or 5.

PM me your email address and I'll send something you can reply to with a CV, forward it to this IT bloke and see what the crack is.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I agree with your first statement. Would you like a tour of my office? 40 odd staff and I rate (obvsiously myself included) about 4 or 5.

PM me your email address and I'll send something you can reply to with a CV, forward it to this IT bloke and see what the crack is.
Generally speaking, is your disenchantment just with your company or is it also with Dubai?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Generally speaking, is your disenchantment just with your company or is it also with Dubai?
The former rather than the latter.

I'm settled here now, it's not a case of brunch/brunch/brunch but finding more of the other shit to do, like the Antiques Museum for example. That place is mental.

Quite enjoy this city, so it's not that.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm settled here now, it's not a case of brunch/brunch/brunch but finding more of the other shit to do, like the Antiques Museum for example. That place is mental.

I guess finding places to go and get shitfaced are never a problem in the Middle East....but finding creatively inspiring places? Best get on a plane....
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I guess finding places to go and get shitfaced are never a problem in the Middle East....but finding creatively inspiring places? Best get on a plane....
Agree.

Dubai is fine, it's a decent enough city.

My issue yesterday and today is to with this business. Meh. I'll just shut up and put up for time being.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

More brunches than museums though Scampy, or are you turning soft on us?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
More brunches than museums though Scampy, or are you turning soft on us?
No ****ing way. Double Deckers and Belgian Beer Cafe in the last two weeks. But I can't pick people's birthdays and where they want to go eh.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:50 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The Antiques Museum is my favourite shop in Dubai. Visitors should always be taken there too.

Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
The Antiques Museum is my favourite shop in Dubai. Visitors should always be taken there too.

Bought a few cool bits from there.

Got annoyed that they didn't have a price for something so found one similar but bigger and said the price would be the same. Completely illogical but classic Indian chap thinking I'm an idiot.

Took 40 minutes to get to that point so just paid for the stuff I wanted and left.

Has made me not want to go back.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:00 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a few cool bits from there.

Got annoyed that they didn't have a price for something so found one similar but bigger and said the price would be the same. Completely illogical but classic Indian chap thinking I'm an idiot.

Took 40 minutes to get to that point so just paid for the stuff I wanted and left.

Has made me not want to go back.
They have now changed their policy so everything has a price. Not as much haggling to be had, which is less fun.

There are some other places worth visiting in Al Quoz for furniture and other bits and pieces. Safita for wooden furniture and Falcon Gallery (which naturally isn't a gallery) which has ornaments and vases, but has the best selection of Xmas decorations anywhere in the UAE from September onward. Don't leave it to after mid-Nov as they'll have sold most of their stock!

Also any branch of Daiso for cheap Japanese items, many of which have no discernable purpose.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

They have now changed their policy so everything has a price. Not as much haggling to be had, which is less fun.

There are some other places worth visiting in Al Quoz for furniture and other bits and pieces. Safita for wooden furniture and Falcon Gallery (which naturally isn't a gallery) which has ornaments and vases, but has the best selection of Xmas decorations anywhere in the UAE from September onward. Don't leave it to after mid-Nov as they'll have sold most of their stock!

Also any branch of Daiso for cheap Japanese items, many of which have no discernable purpose.
Yeah, their policy was based on a leaflet and a series of letters corresponding to a price. This item just had no price though.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love Daiso.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:55 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I love Daiso.
What's not to love? Doesn't everyone need a nose roller, centipede poison and decorated bamboo earpicks? And all for bargain prices.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:09 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

No ****ing way. Double Deckers and Belgian Beer Cafe in the last two weeks. But I can't pick people's birthdays and where they want to go eh.
Double Deckers was always my favourite though I got told it had gone downhill.

Cab to Waxys after to dance like a twat and promise some lucky lady a night to remember-and deliver a night she will quickly forget.....

Those were good days, followed by a saturday in the Pano or similar dirty establishment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.