Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think one of the issues with Brits / Western passport holding folk who aren't the white John Smith is that nine times out of ten, they haven't been Western educated - that's the problem.
Really? I thought I went to school with lots of Asian kids who were born, brought up and educated in England with me? Are you telling me that 9/10 of them weren't listening? Sorry Scamp. Love your posts usually but this one sounds like you swallowed the Daily Mail. We can't sit here enjoying the benefits of a global society but hope that none of it hits "our" shorelines....
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Really? I thought I went to school with lots of Asian kids who were born, brought up and educated in England with me? Are you telling me that 9/10 of them weren't listening? Sorry Scamp. Love your posts usually but this one sounds like you swallowed the Daily Mail. We can't sit here enjoying the benefits of a global society but hope that none of it hits "our" shorelines....
Sorry - I mean the chaps who went to Basra University and have never worked outside the Middle East yet hold a Canadian / American / Aussie / British (see them less, mainly the first three) passport.

Not the Asian etc people who grew up and were educated in Britain / Aus / American etc etc
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Lucyccfc is an unknown quantity at this point

I was speaking generally about the acquired passports in later life to enhance chances, when really it is so transparent.

Black / Brown / Pink / Green / Yellow Brits are always going to treated less favourably than a White Brit here in the Middle East, it's the way this place is. There is no changing that.

Britain today - don't get me started. My sisters went to an all girls Catholic school in Southampton, nice school. It is now overrun with Polish / Indian / Pakistani students and has a 60% level of pupils who do not speak English as first language.

For me, that is completely unacceptable and an utter piss take. Especially given the religion of most of the students being everything bar Catholic / Christian.

Such is I suppose. The UK is too welcoming, too soft and too bound by EU regs. Abu Qatada is the example that should be changing our nations, yet we all know it will get nowhere.
Had to laugh at your post.

Let's replace a few words and see how it sounds.

(britain) Abu Dhabi today - my child goes to a lovely school in an Islamic country, but it is becoming over run with English, Indians and Americans and has a 60% level of pupils who do not speak Arabic as a first language. Abu Dhabi is too welcoming, too soft and too bound by Islamic law.

I always laugh when the 'Brits' move abroad and call themselves Expats and moan about all the immigrants coming to the UK. Have any of the immigrants on here who have moved to Abu Dhabi learnt Arabic or immersed themselves in Islamic or Arabic life, culture and traditions? Probably not.

Oh the irony of your post.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucyccfc

(britain) Abu Dhabi today - my child goes to a lovely school in an Islamic country, but it is becoming over run with English, Indians and Americans and has a 60% level of pupils who do not speak Arabic as a first language. Abu Dhabi is too welcoming, too soft and too bound by Islamic law.

I always laugh when the 'Brits' move abroad and call themselves Expats and moan about all the immigrants coming to the UK. Have any of the immigrants on here who have moved to Abu Dhabi learnt Arabic or immersed themselves in Islamic or Arabic life, culture and traditions? Probably not.

Some differences: when your job ends, you get kicked out. If your kid wants to go to school, you pay. If you need medical assistance, you pay. If you want somewhere to live, you pay. You beginning to see a picture? As I say, though, there are differences and for the most part, I agree with you. After all, the pissed up friday brunches aren't very good adverts for British 'culture' so why throw a wobbler when someone takes a bit of their culture to a foriegn land? Brits are notorious for it, so is it a case of 'Do as I say, not as I do'? Wouldn't be at all suprised....
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Start with reading what I wrote properly.

The one example I used for things I find baffling in the UK is foreign students attending an ENGLISH SPEAKING / ENGLISH CURRICULUM school, but not being able to speak English.

Very different to your children going to an ENGLISH SPEAKING / ENGLISH CURRICULUM school in a foreign country, provided to give those seeking a (in this case) non-Islamic education.

Do you think the Abu Dhabi Islamic schools would be as accommodating?

By the way - I'm not an expat, I've never claimed to be an expat. I try to learn bits of Arabic, but struggle, it's not something I can use everyday unless I spend my entire day annoying the Arabic speakers in my office.

Oh the idiocy of your post.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of the immigrants on here who have moved to Abu Dhabi ... immersed themselves in ... Arabic life, culture and traditions?
I have - I drive a Nissan Patrol and throw Lebanese Flower wrappers out of the blacked out windows.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I have - I drive a Nissan Patrol and throw Lebanese Flower wrappers out of the blacked out windows.
Ah, but have you learned to drive your Patrol on two wheels yet? Then, and only then will you have truly emersed yourself in local culture!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

To truly call yourself a brit, you must be able to do the following:

Get p*ssed on Fri/Saturday night, have a curry in the local after, have a fight in the queue whilst waiting for your curry, try it on with every bird with a heartbeat, vomit after and have a headache the next morning.

The above may involve a trip to the local NHS hospital that costs the taxpayer billions each year.

Moan about how bad your headache is, say to your mates you had a great night but couldn't remember much the next day.

Only then my friends, are you a true Brit. Come on Enger-land
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Had to laugh at the irony of THIS post after reading your only other post ('Working in AD').............
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:02 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Start with reading what I wrote properly.

The one example I used for things I find baffling in the UK is foreign students attending an ENGLISH SPEAKING / ENGLISH CURRICULUM school, but not being able to speak English.

Very different to your children going to an ENGLISH SPEAKING / ENGLISH CURRICULUM school in a foreign country, provided to give those seeking a (in this case) non-Islamic education.

Do you think the Abu Dhabi Islamic schools would be as accommodating?

By the way - I'm not an expat, I've never claimed to be an expat. I try to learn bits of Arabic, but struggle, it's not something I can use everyday unless I spend my entire day annoying the Arabic speakers in my office.

Oh the idiocy of your post.
why do you even bother answering her sensibly? she's clearly either deluded or a troll..
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by norsk
why do you even bother answering her sensibly? she's clearly either deluded or a troll..
Why not.

It's that or continue staring blankly at my screen for the day. Disillusioned.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:12 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Why not.

It's that or continue staring blankly at my screen for the day. Disillusioned.
job not fun at the moment? what kind of recruitment do you do by the way?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:22 am
Account Closed

job not fun at the moment? what kind of recruitment do you do by the way?
Far from it pal, not the job, the environment let's say.

Construction.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:12 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Far from it pal, not the job, the environment let's say.

Construction.
Ah okay! Living and working in this region does have its downsides unfortunately. A lot of them actually. Why am I here again?

Too bad. I was half hoping you dealt with IT
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Ah okay! Living and working in this region does have its downsides unfortunately. A lot of them actually. Why am I here again?

Too bad. I was half hoping you dealt with IT
There is someone in our office that does, not sure if he's any good though.

Most people in here are spastics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.