Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:11 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Originally Posted by spartans53
Rich Indians are the most racist people I have ever met. Make Saffers look like tree huggers
This arises because of the caste system in India. It is part of the society there, so to apply the same concept elsewhere is not seen as anything wrong.

God forbid if you are an 'untouchable'

It would be interesting to talk to first generation UK Indians to see how they viewed the racism they received from white Brits in the 50's, 60's and 70's before racial awareness was so prevalant.

Did they see it as part of a global caste system?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Garth_Vader
I'm in much the same boat job-wise. I was looking for a job here while based in the UK for quite sometime and with little success.

Like you, there aren't that many jobs in my area of expertise and so I've actually moved out here to try and increase my chances. I've found that your applications are often not taken seriously, and certainly not preferred over a similar candidate who is based here.

Good luck
Thanks, I'll keep looking here and have a cut-off date in April, after which I'll make my way over to Dubai and check it out. In the mean time I can start making some contact on LinkedIn and get my name out there to agencies...

Originally Posted by spartans53
Rich Indians are the most racist people I have ever met. Make Saffers look like tree huggers
This depends on the type of Indians and where they come from. India is a huge place and very different attitudes in the north and south. If they are new money and tend to be the loud type anyway and not very well travelled or brought up, they will tend to be very arrogant.

On the other hand, I know some extremely wealthy Indians who are completely the opposite. Never in a million years would you know that they are multi-millionaires...

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
This arises because of the caste system in India. It is part of the society there, so to apply the same concept elsewhere is not seen as anything wrong.

God forbid if you are an 'untouchable'

It would be interesting to talk to first generation UK Indians to see how they viewed the racism they received from white Brits in the 50's, 60's and 70's before racial awareness was so prevalant.

Did they see it as part of a global caste system?
My family are first generation british indians and they got a hell of a lot of racism (especially building up to the brixton riots) and also in the 60s when they came. However, Britain in many ways was a lot less racist and due to colonialism and forward thinking, were already fairly accepting of foreigners.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baraka
My family are first generation british indians and they got a hell of a lot of racism (especially building up to the brixton riots) and also in the 60s when they came. However, Britain in many ways was a lot less racist and due to colonialism and forward thinking, were already fairly accepting of foreigners.
You haven't met my mum.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

SUPERWHITE is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a holder of UK qualifications and experience and not white.

The white people on here will not understand your situation as the UAE has distinctly different rules for different ethnic groups and it works by the color of your skin. Not necessarily nationality.

When you see an ad for UK US educated in the UAE .. it means they want WHITE.
If you fulfill the qualifications requirement and tell them your name and it is not a WHITE name , hiring companies will ask for a photograph. I have applied to many such jobs and I have had to send my photo on several occasions for ENGINEERING JOBS !!!! Only to be rejected for lack of.. ohh.. whatever they feel

The white privilege is strong in the UAE.
You would be making the biggest mistake of your life to come to this part of the world.
You will be degraded and undervalued and your life will be much harder than the others and none of your white compatriots will understand because they will never encounter the same treatment.

Its a shame the UAE has forgotten who helped to build her in the less glamourous times of the 70s and the 80s.

The authorities wish to " whiten" the population. They are FULLY aware and supportive of companies with such racist hiring strategies. Don't be fooled by multinational European/American companies in the UAE and their claims to be equal opportunity employers. You will also be presented with big fat Ethical booklets outlining the same in flashy print but my experience has proved otherwise.

BEWARE
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:37 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERWHITE
You will be degraded and undervalued and your life will be much harder than the others and none of your white compatriots will understand because they will never encounter the same treatment.
Not true (just the understanding bit).
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERWHITE
I am a holder of UK qualifications and experience and not white.

The white people on here will not understand your situation as the UAE has distinctly different rules for different ethnic groups and it works by the color of your skin. Not necessarily nationality.

When you see an ad for UK US educated in the UAE .. it means they want WHITE.
If you fulfill the qualifications requirement and tell them your name and it is not a WHITE name , hiring companies will ask for a photograph. I have applied to many such jobs and I have had to send my photo on several occasions for ENGINEERING JOBS !!!! Only to be rejected for lack of.. ohh.. whatever they feel

The white privilege is strong in the UAE.
You would be making the biggest mistake of your life to come to this part of the world.

Its a shame the UAE has forgotten who helped to build her in the less glamourous times of the 70s and the 80s.

The authorities wish to " whiten" the population. They are FULLY aware and supportive of companies with such racist hiring strategies. Don't be fooled by multinational European/American companies in the UAE and their claims to be equal opportunity employers. You will also be presented with big fat Ethical booklets outlining the same in flashy print but my experience has proved otherwise.

BEWARE
Interesting first post and I've seen a lot of this at close quarters and with my own eyes - it's plainly backward nonsense, like a lot of things you see in this region. In saying that, you should leave the "white people won't understand" BS at the door. It's one eyed logic to suggest that just because it doesn't happen to a person directly they can't see it, understand it or be disgusted by it. Would you not feel affronted to be told that you could only understand things that happen to "brown people"? That sounds like the very thing you're (justifiably) highlighting.....
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:23 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Interesting first post and I've seen a lot of this at close quarters and with my own eyes - it's plainly backward nonsense, like a lot of things you see in this region. In saying that, you should leave the "white people won't understand" BS at the door. It's one eyed logic to suggest that just because it doesn't happen to a person directly they can't see it, understand it or be disgusted by it. Would you not feel affronted to be told that you could only understand things that happen to "brown people"? That sounds like the very thing you're (justifiably) highlighting.....
Exactly. I remember buying sunglasses at duty free in Manchester. When the girl asked if I was going to Dubai on holiday and mentioned that I lived there, she asked me to describe the place in one word. I said racist. I've been brought up better. Ability isn't dependent on skin colour, but that's not how it operates over here unfortunately.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Going back to the first post, I believe that, regardless of your nationality and ethnical background, it is better to have a job fixed before coming to UAE, however a job can be got if you come without one.

Regarding your ethnic background, if you are qualified and US or UK educated, it matters little if you look black or Indian, I have Indian friends drawing good salaries. Of course many do not, it is just a matter of being able to earn anything above 10-12,000 dirhams per month and having company paid accommodation. Anything below that and you are third world material. Dubai is a tough and racisit capitalist society, but there are exceptions to the rule...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Great real life views, yes, racism does exist but not of the type where you'll be chased down an alley, beaten up by some thugs wearing blue jeans / Doc Martens and calling you a smelly curry / Paki or something and kicking the living daylights out of you.

Basically, it all boils down to status. All my neighbours are Emirati's and they are great, no problems, and I am a proud brown lad.

Don't think that you need to use the latest skin whitening cream to become a gora pakora...

Look at the owner of Lulu's, a mega shopping chain like Tescos, he's an Indian and gets treated very well by the elite here.

Be confident and patient and you'll be fine. Those that complain think that just because they've a western passport, including Brit-Asians, they should be entitled to better treatment. Why should we?

It's all about status, but don't forget those at the bottom of the social ladder. A smile, some food for cleaners at work, old clothes, and gifts go down very well to the cleaners at work who earn 500 AED per month.

Have a great day.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:44 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
Great real life views, yes, racism does exist but not of the type where you'll be chased down an alley, beaten up by some thugs wearing blue jeans / Doc Martens and calling you a smelly curry / Paki or something and kicking the living daylights out of you.

Basically, it all boils down to status. All my neighbours are Emirati's and they are great, no problems, and I am a proud brown lad.

Don't think that you need to use the latest skin whitening cream to become a gora pakora...

Look at the owner of Lulu's, a mega shopping chain like Tescos, he's an Indian and gets treated very well by the elite here.

Be confident and patient and you'll be fine. Those that complain think that just because they've a western passport, including Brit-Asians, they should be entitled to better treatment. Why should we?

It's all about status, but don't forget those at the bottom of the social ladder. A smile, some food for cleaners at work, old clothes, and gifts go down very well to the cleaners at work who earn 500 AED per month.

Have a great day.
Hey, does ma'amsir know you have the password to access the family PC? I'll bet not...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Ha ha TGF, the truth too hot for ya!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I think one of the issues with Brits / Western passport holding folk who aren't the white John Smith is that nine times out of ten, they haven't been Western educated - that's the problem.

How many 'Canadians' do you see that are actually Egyptian / Iranian / Iraqi and haven't been educated anywhere other than their home country.

Why should a premium be demanded because they have a Western passport when they don't have the standard of education / experience of working in that country?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Scamp, I don't know about Canada but in the UK, most of the people who come out here with British p'ports have been born or spent a significant part of their lives in the UK. For me, that's a true brit if your name's John Smith, or Hasan Gobbledegook

I agree, somebody who acquires a western passport in their later years with their upbringing in another country esp. their education, may be considered by people otherwise.

BUT BUT BUT, having come out here in the Middle East, my respect for several things that was the norm in the UK has gone up in my eyes.

UK, free education for all and usually of a good quality in most state schools, teachers and support staff going out of their way to help new pupils from other countries, unemployment benefits, hospital care etc...

I know people take the 'p' by being tourist patients etc... but how many places in the world do that ouch services.

That's why it's disappointing coming out here and finding that it's back to 0 with many things, laws, discrimination.

Respect generally to the masses of the UK, but the blimmin guys at the top take the P with their expenses stuff and silver spoons. Who says there's no wasta in the Western world...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mathematist
Scamp, I don't know about Canada but in the UK, most of the people who come out here with British p'ports have been born or spent a significant part of their lives in the UK. For me, that's a true brit if your name's John Smith, or Hasan Gobbledegook

I agree, somebody who acquires a western passport in their later years with their upbringing in another country esp. their education, may be considered by people otherwise.

BUT BUT BUT, having come out here in the Middle East, my respect for several things that was the norm in the UK has gone up in my eyes.

UK, free education for all and usually of a good quality in most state schools, teachers and support staff going out of their way to help new pupils from other countries, unemployment benefits, hospital care etc...

I know people take the 'p' by being tourist patients etc... but how many places in the world do that ouch services.

That's why it's disappointing coming out here and finding that it's back to 0 with many things, laws, discrimination.

Respect generally to the masses of the UK, but the blimmin guys at the top take the P with their expenses stuff and silver spoons. Who says there's no wasta in the Western world...
I was speaking generally about the acquired passports in later life to enhance chances, when really it is so transparent.

Black / Brown / Pink / Green / Yellow Brits are always going to treated less favourably than a White Brit here in the Middle East, it's the way this place is. There is no changing that.

Britain today - don't get me started. My sisters went to an all girls Catholic school in Southampton, nice school. It is now overrun with Polish / Indian / Pakistani students and has a 60% level of pupils who do not speak English as first language.

For me, that is completely unacceptable and an utter piss take. Especially given the religion of most of the students being everything bar Catholic / Christian.

Such is I suppose. The UK is too welcoming, too soft and too bound by EU regs. Abu Qatada is the example that should be changing our nations, yet we all know it will get nowhere.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scamp
Britain today - don't get me started. My sisters went to an all girls Catholic school in Southampton, nice school. It is now overrun with Polish / Indian / Pakistani students and has a 60% level of pupils who do not speak English as first language.
Typed in a city with over 70% immigrant population or so.

I do appreciate that immigrants across Europe could possibly be permanent. For the UK, I blame our forefathers for teaching the world English..should have taught them French or something. The Poles have started leaving by the way. The main reason so many choose England as a destination is baffling, but I guess if the country keeps going further backwards than it currently is, immigration rates will drastically drop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.