Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:23 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - Get a job before or after coming to Dubai?

A few comments:

I only know about teaching jobs so my comments are based on this

- If you apply/are appointed from UK, you should get an overseas package. However you may find your wife loses some of her benefits once you are there (accomodation allowance, flights, health care) as this is built into many teaching contracts.
- Bearing this in mind, you will need to find out if your prospective employer will pay for flights and health care for both of you and also what your accomodation allowance is going to be.
- I know of at least 3 teachers who have got jobs whilst over in Dubai on holiday. They were given overseas packages despite this. Perhaps your wife could do some searchiing for you in Dubai before you come over. I am sure there will be employment agencies who could help
-I'm not 100% sure, but you will also have to consider your visa status. You should be able to stay for 30 days initially, after which you will have to renew your visitor visa or get your wife to sponsor you - which can be expensive.

About the racism, I would agree with much of what has been said. There is very much a covert caste system in Dubai. Locals first, then other Emiratis, then white European/South African/Aussie etc then way down from there Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani

Even though you are a GB citizen in the eyes of locals you will be seen as Indian.

Having said this, there is a thriving Indian community in Dubai and areas of varying 'standards' where Indians live. Dubai is a lot safer than the UK, and in many ways for Indians better. There is no street crime and no overtly violent racism.

Good luck with your quest.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Baraka
I'm a degree educated Web Content and Project Manager with over 2 years of experience and also a good social media consultant.

This has got me a bit perplexed as to whether I get a contract before coming out there, but your comments are increasingly nudging me to do so...

This racism bit is worrying though, it's not nice relocating yourself to another continent for better prospects and having to come across such discrimination.
Racism is a way of life throughout much of the world - I would not consider it worse in the ME than it is in India. With only two years of experience your best option is come out here and find a job. You need more experience before you can consider trying to get a contract from UK,
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Good luck with your job hunt and welcome to BE, I don't know what to advise really. As for the racism, yes it is here and it always will be sadly but I have friends who are Asian Brits and they love it and have no issues at all.
Thank you - seems like a great forum!

Sure, I'll just have to see how it goes, and hope the fact that I'm British and with a British Degree will make a difference, even though I am not white.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
You're in luck. I'll PM you some people to contact. I know there are quite a few PR and social media companies out here that are ran or staffed heavily with Indians, so that shouldn't be a major issue.
Thank you very much, I look forward to your message!

I don't mind working anywhere, as long as it is the right position and pays well/fairly enough.

It would also help if the work place promoted learning an development through training and there was good career prospects but I am not holding out on these.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by norsk
There is definitely a market for PM's with web and social media experience in UAE at the moment and you could get lucky, but I would be concerned about having too little experience.

Anything less than 5 years of experience is like having nothing at all here...especially when looking for a western expat package.

Good luck though!
Thanks for this - it is very good advice and something I was not aware of.

Although my web managerial experience is a couple of years, I also have two years of experience as a web editor and also a foundation certificate in Prince2, and am to soon to be qualified as a Professional Scrum Master.

Each of my applications will therefore require some tweaking to appeal to the organisation being applied for.

I also have over five years of experience in social media, albeit most of it through a voluntary position at another company.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:51 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you - seems like a great forum!

Sure, I'll just have to see how it goes, and hope the fact that I'm British and with a British Degree will make a difference, even though I am not white.
I wish it wasn't the case, but I'm afraid not. There is a large part of society here that will see a sub-continental and nothing more. (i.e. near the bottom of the social ladder).

And I'll send you the contacts sometime this week. I'm clearing out some of my contacts, so I'll send them then. Better to send them all at once rather than sporadically.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
A few comments:

I only know about teaching jobs so my comments are based on this

- If you apply/are appointed from UK, you should get an overseas package. However you may find your wife loses some of her benefits once you are there (accomodation allowance, flights, health care) as this is built into many teaching contracts.
- Bearing this in mind, you will need to find out if your prospective employer will pay for flights and health care for both of you and also what your accomodation allowance is going to be.
- I know of at least 3 teachers who have got jobs whilst over in Dubai on holiday. They were given overseas packages despite this. Perhaps your wife could do some searchiing for you in Dubai before you come over. I am sure there will be employment agencies who could help
-I'm not 100% sure, but you will also have to consider your visa status. You should be able to stay for 30 days initially, after which you will have to renew your visitor visa or get your wife to sponsor you - which can be expensive.

About the racism, I would agree with much of what has been said. There is very much a covert caste system in Dubai. Locals first, then other Emiratis, then white European/South African/Aussie etc then way down from there Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani

Even though you are a GB citizen in the eyes of locals you will be seen as Indian.

Having said this, there is a thriving Indian community in Dubai and areas of varying 'standards' where Indians live. Dubai is a lot safer than the UK, and in many ways for Indians better. There is no street crime and no overtly violent racism.

Good luck with your quest.
Thanks for your advice

My wife negotiated accomodation for us both so we have a two bedroom flat paid for by the University. We also have negotiated flights for her and me and we are both covered by the healthcare.

I dont understand how me negitating a contract for myself there would jeopordise any of that...

I will definitely look into the visa situation too and get out to employment agencies as soon as possible.

Its a shame that I'll be seen as an Indian citizen even though I'm British but let's hope my Hertfordshire accent helps me in situations!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Garth_Vader is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advice

My wife negotiated accomodation for us both so we have a two bedroom flat paid for by the University. We also have negotiated flights for her and me and we are both covered by the healthcare.

I dont understand how me negitating a contract for myself there would jeopordise any of that...

I will definitely look into the visa situation too and get out to employment agencies as soon as possible.

Its a shame that I'll be seen as an Indian citizen even though I'm British but let's hope my Hertfordshire accent helps me in situations!
I'm in much the same boat job-wise. I was looking for a job here while based in the UK for quite sometime and with little success.

Like you, there aren't that many jobs in my area of expertise and so I've actually moved out here to try and increase my chances. I've found that your applications are often not taken seriously, and certainly not preferred over a similar candidate who is based here.

Good luck
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:14 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice

the reason I mention the contract/flights/accomodation/health care is that generally in teaching jobs (and others - perhaps people might confirm this?) if a female is employed in Dubai and her husband gets a job, she then loses these things (health, flights, accomodation) as it assumed that she will get these benefits from her husbands employer.

We have had a few people at our place who have got married when in Dubai and this has happened to them.

Your wife needs to look over her contract and check with her employer.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

the reason I mention the contract/flights/accomodation/health care is that generally in teaching jobs (and others - perhaps people might confirm this?) if a female is employed in Dubai and her husband gets a job, she then loses these things (health, flights, accomodation) as it assumed that she will get these benefits from her husbands employer.

We have had a few people at our place who have got married when in Dubai and this has happened to them.

Your wife needs to look over her contract and check with her employer.
That's appalling. UAE Labour Law states that men and women should be paid equally for the same job. Contract conditions will prevail, so just don't agree to sign a contract with these sexist conditions.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:14 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by Meow
That's appalling. UAE Labour Law states that men and women should be paid equally for the same job. Contract conditions will prevail, so just don't agree to sign a contract with these sexist conditions.
I think this is the same situation with most schools in Dubai. The pay is the same for men and women, it's the add-ons which are not paid if the woman is married.

A member of my department had overseas contract including accom/flight/health. She got married and these were taken off her. It is written into our contracts.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Meow

What happens with teachers is that if someone is married and the Husband gets housing they take that away, same with healthcare and schooling. the salary stays the same but they take away all the benifits. I got around it for a while by having my salary paid as a lump sum and then getting a letter saying i got no benifits except the legal min.

You can get around anything in the ME just need to know the system, also having a company stamp in your office drawer helps.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the same situation with most schools in Dubai. The pay is the same for men and women, it's the add-ons which are not paid if the woman is married.

A member of my department had overseas contract including accom/flight/health. She got married and these were taken off her. It is written into our contracts.

As I said contracts take precedence but it's still a biased and sexist situation. FFS this is 2012, not the 1950's.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It should be emphasised that there is a large and affluent South Asian community in Dubai. I won't pretend that racism doesn't exist but when it comes to discrimination classism plays more of a role. The locals and other Asian expats play the class discrimination game quite well and will immediately spot the differences between various types of South Asians and their socio-economic backgrounds and treat you accordingly so.

I had a number of South Asians/Brit Asian friends in Dubai and they all liked their lives. It wasn't perfect and free from racism but they lived well and weren't prevented from doing anything they wanted.

Last edited by Ethos83; Feb 13th 2012 at 10:15 am.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Rich Indians are the most racist people I have ever met. Make Saffers look like tree huggers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.