Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice for Ex-Muslim Going to Work in Riyadh...

Advice for Ex-Muslim Going to Work in Riyadh...

Old May 6th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

thetan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Ex-Muslim Going to Work in Riyadh...

Hi,

I'm British born and bred with Pakistani origins and although I have a Muslim name, I have no interest in following any religion at present.

I am due to go work in Riyadh as an IT Consultant for 3-6 months soon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on how the natives in Riyadh may react to me?

I'm curious as to whether they may see me as a lapsed Muslim and try to push me towards practising or refuse to deal with me professionally because of my personal decisions?

Am I being overly-cautious? Maybe religion does not enter into professional matters?

Any advice would also be most appreciated...

Thanks,
Thetan
Old May 6th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Ex-Muslim Going to Work in Riyadh...

Well they may view you as an apostate, for which the penalty is death.

I don't mean this in jest, I'm quite serious. It will be easier for you to just say you are a Muslim and avoid any further questions.

I am an avowed atheist yet always put down CofE on my visa forms and entry cards. I have a lack of belief, but unlike some proponents of religion - I don't think it is worth dying over.
Old May 6th 2008, 7:04 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

from all the things i've heard, it's not so much your religion that's going to make things easier/harder, but more the fact that you are, as you put it, of Pakistani origin. (saudi's pretty harsh on anyone who's not an emirati, heaven help you if you're from Pakistan/India)

see The Dean's thread about Saudi (very helpful) which is on here (search "Saudi") or look at the wiki. bl--dy brilliant answer to all the fundamental questions.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:12 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

I delt with Soudis who work in the IT

Generally speaking.. they are educated and very humble and you will experience being with people who will be very professional with you and very kind .. I am sure of that

But my advice to you .. is …not to tell them that you used to be a muslim .. there are Pakistani people who are Christian ….. oops I forgot you have a muslim name !! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

In that case it is better for you to tell them that you are muslim you will not stay there for a long time .. it is gona be less than 6 months..

But .. don’t lose the chance of knowing what real islam is as long you will be in soudia .. they are a lot better than the rest of the muslims else where .
Old May 7th 2008, 4:30 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Having spent eight years working in a seven storey office block in KSA where I was the only westerner, my gut feeling is that they will continuously press you to adopt Islam (they tried with me) but it will be in a friendly, not forceful way. Having a Muslim name, you may find yourself getting a Muslim Iqama, which will entitle you to visit the Holy Cities of Mecca and Madinah, arguably the only reason to visit KSA in the first place. In summary, I would pretend you are Muslim and simply go with the flow.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:41 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having spent eight years working in a seven storey office block in KSA where I was the only westerner, my gut feeling is that they will continuously press you to adopt Islam (they tried with me) but it will be in a friendly, not forceful way. Having a Muslim name, you may find yourself getting a Muslim Iqama, which will entitle you to visit the Holy Cities of Mecca and Madinah, arguably the only reason to visit KSA in the first place. In summary, I would pretend you are Muslim and simply go with the flow.

were they really nice to you during the 8 years of your stay there??
Old May 7th 2008, 5:38 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
jesus, I can't imagine why anyone would want to go there. It sounds awful.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:40 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beard Man
were they really nice to you during the 8 years of your stay there??
The Saudis were generally fine...cannot say the same for the Yemenis, Egyptians and Lebanese.
Old May 7th 2008, 6:18 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

But .. don’t lose the chance of knowing what real islam is as long you will be in soudia .. they are a lot better than the rest of the muslims else where .
Errrr, no.
Maybe not the worst, but definitely in the bottom few.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

DON'T.
TELL.
ANYONE.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Errrr, no.
Maybe not the worst, but definitely in the bottom few.

Maybe not the worst ... ok i got this one.. .

but what do you mean by (but definitely in the bottom few) ??

i didn't get it
Old May 7th 2008, 8:46 am

LeicesterKid is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not advertise that you are non practicing. Just go with the flow.

I guess it would not hurt to know Islam better, for your understanding. But the choice to follow it is yours.

Being a UK born Muslim myself, I started to practise Islam more during the past years and to be honest with you I feel more better and more at peace with myself than ever before.

Wish you all the best with you move.

LK
Old May 7th 2008, 9:22 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not the worst ... ok i got this one.. .

but what do you mean by (but definitely in the bottom few) ??

i didn't get it
You intimated that the Saudi Muslims were better than the other Muslims of the area.
If I were to list them by country I would say that the Saudi Muslims would be near the bottom of the list as far as being 'better' in a broad context of perception by most.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
You intimated that the Saudi Muslims were better than the other Muslims of the area.
If I were to list them by country I would say that the Saudi Muslims would be near the bottom of the list as far as being 'better' in a broad context of perception by most.

It is my mistake then, maybe i was suppose to say things in a clearer way.

what i believe is .. in saudia Arabia you can find the best people among muslims and the worse at the same time.

and what i really wanted to say is that it is a chance for him to know how real muslims are and what islam is real about from the good people over there.. becauser seriously ... it is unlikely to find people like them anywhere else... with respect to religious knowledge or manners
Old May 8th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

am i the only one who is imagining beardman at his CID station in Dubai recording the IP addresses of anyone who says anything controvertial....

hey only kidding beardman

i think......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.