Advice on Doha move please

Wikiposts

Advice on Doha move please

Old Nov 18th 2016, 3:43 am
Just Joined

psb07158 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Doha move please

Hi All,

New joiner currently living in Glasgow, UK. I work in big 4 (Professional Services) and have an offer from a big 4 company in Doha. I'm newly qualified so have 3 years of experience (CA), and married with 1 young son (16 months so not of school age). No commitments in the UK right now so feel like it's a great time to move but have no intention of shortchanging myself. We don't live like kings here but we have a fairly comfortable standard of living. In the field I work in, you don't really get the massive O&G salaries some engineers etc would get so please bear that in mind when replying

Basic - 11,400 QAR p/m
Living - 7,600 QAR p/m
Annual bonus - not quantified but I'm led to believe it's around 1 month's Basic salary so not great.
Annual leave entitlement - 22 working days (30 calendar)
Working hours and working days per week - 45 hours per week, 8.30am-5pm
Sick leave - 14 working days full pay, 28 working days half pay, unpaid leave thereafter
Annual airfare - provided for me, my wife and my son
Relocation assistance - 50kg @ 50 USD based on Qatar Airways' excess baggage so a total cash payment to me of of $2,500.
Redundancy payment - no mention in contract
End of service gratuity - Statutory basic , 21 days for each year worked
Private medical cover - upto 100k QAR for me, my wife and my son (each)
Travel costs once in Qatar - not included
Food and other expenses - not included
Mobile phone - no mention of this but I'd have thought it's standard for big 4 ?
Life assurance - for me, my wife and my son
NOC - big 4 firm are registered with the QFC so provide an NOC no questions asked (confirmed by the QFC Head of Tax who a friend linked me in with)
Contract duration - permanent, no fixed time period
Temporary accommodation - 4 weeks

What are your initial thoughts? I'm fairly young both in terms of age and in terms of my career, but this is a real growth area in Qatar and I understand that I can progress pretty quickly over there.

I have a call on Sunday with the recruiter to discuss the offer they've made. Over the next day and a half I'm going to do as much research as possible so that I'm armed with a barrel load of questions and plenty of substance to back up why I'm asking for more money - but the advice and experience of people on here would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding Doha - I've been out before. My sister stayed there and my cousin was there for a number of years. I'm fairly well versed in what I'm getting myself (and my family) into with a move there. I fully appreciate it's not Dubai.

All answers are greatly appreciated and if any further information is required, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Doha move please

Sub 20k in Doha for a couple with a baby?

No, unless you have a compelling reason to be in the land of Allah.

Stay in Glasgow. Build up your experiences and qualifications for a few more years and then come out on a much better package (30+K minimum, or 50+K with school age kids).
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:54 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice given above.

2 bed furnished apartment QAR 10k/ month
Rental Car, basic 4x4, QAR 4k/ month

Your package won't leave much for food, clothing, utilities, leisure, travel, saving, pension etc. Don't do it.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb07158
Hi All,

New joiner currently living in Glasgow, UK. I work in big 4 (Professional Services) and have an offer from a big 4 company in Doha. I'm newly qualified so have 3 years of experience (CA), and married with 1 young son (16 months so not of school age). No commitments in the UK right now so feel like it's a great time to move but have no intention of shortchanging myself. We don't live like kings here but we have a fairly comfortable standard of living. In the field I work in, you don't really get the massive O&G salaries some engineers etc would get so please bear that in mind when replying

Basic - 11,400 QAR p/m
Living - 7,600 QAR p/m
Annual bonus - not quantified but I'm led to believe it's around 1 month's Basic salary so not great.
Annual leave entitlement - 22 working days (30 calendar)
Working hours and working days per week - 45 hours per week, 8.30am-5pm
Sick leave - 14 working days full pay, 28 working days half pay, unpaid leave thereafter
Annual airfare - provided for me, my wife and my son
Relocation assistance - 50kg @ 50 USD based on Qatar Airways' excess baggage so a total cash payment to me of of $2,500.
Redundancy payment - no mention in contract
End of service gratuity - Statutory basic , 21 days for each year worked
Private medical cover - upto 100k QAR for me, my wife and my son (each)
Travel costs once in Qatar - not included
Food and other expenses - not included
Mobile phone - no mention of this but I'd have thought it's standard for big 4 ?
Life assurance - for me, my wife and my son
NOC - big 4 firm are registered with the QFC so provide an NOC no questions asked (confirmed by the QFC Head of Tax who a friend linked me in with)
Contract duration - permanent, no fixed time period
Temporary accommodation - 4 weeks

What are your initial thoughts? I'm fairly young both in terms of age and in terms of my career, but this is a real growth area in Qatar and I understand that I can progress pretty quickly over there.

I have a call on Sunday with the recruiter to discuss the offer they've made. Over the next day and a half I'm going to do as much research as possible so that I'm armed with a barrel load of questions and plenty of substance to back up why I'm asking for more money - but the advice and experience of people on here would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding Doha - I've been out before. My sister stayed there and my cousin was there for a number of years. I'm fairly well versed in what I'm getting myself (and my family) into with a move there. I fully appreciate it's not Dubai.

All answers are greatly appreciated and if any further information is required, please let me know.

Thanks!
Bin it mate , crap deal for a crap country . You need a decent wedge for Doha and that's just not enough .

Stay where you are
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

psb07158 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers guys. Appreciate the advice.

Logic behind the move: the market in Glasgow/Scotland is dead. To really progress I'd need to move down to England - been looking at alternatives and thought if I have to move anyway may as well look to see what else there is. I take on board your comments - when the person calls me tomorrow I'm going to ask for a lot more and if it isn't forthcoming I think I'll give it a bye.

Thanks!