Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice from any new or recent mums please. Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain

Advice from any new or recent mums please. Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain

Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice from any new or recent mums please. Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain

Hi
the mrs and wee one are due out here in 3 weeks time and I am busy trying to get things together for when they arrive.
All good so far
However
I am trying to find sterilising tablets for cold water sterilisers such as Milton. Started with Bahrains equivalent of Spinneys, then Carrefour and Geant. Then tried Boots the chemist and the local pharmacies but at all of them I have drawn a huge blank.

Has anyone in either Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain used these or is everyone using microwave sterilisers ?

Am travelling to all three countries before the mrs arrives so could get from any of them if they exist

Thanks
On behalf of the wee man
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:28 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from any new or recent mums please. Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Hi
the mrs and wee one are due out here in 3 weeks time and I am busy trying to get things together for when they arrive.
All good so far
However
I am trying to find sterilising tablets for cold water sterilisers such as Milton. Started with Bahrains equivalent of Spinneys, then Carrefour and Geant. Then tried Boots the chemist and the local pharmacies but at all of them I have drawn a huge blank.

Has anyone in either Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain used these or is everyone using microwave sterilisers ?

Am travelling to all three countries before the mrs arrives so could get from any of them if they exist

Thanks
On behalf of the wee man
I'm in Dubai and I've seen Milton ones...or I'm pretty sure I have. However, I'd suggest a microwave steriliser is better. Tommee Tippee do a one-bottle sized one which is great... as long as you don't need to do batches!

Other things that you may find useful to bring over are:
- sugar-free Calpol (simply can't get it. Their Calpol is the full-on gloopy stuff we had as kids)
- sugar-free teething gel
- Ashtons & Parsons powders (what I refer to as Baby Cocaine - isss great!)
- organic baby rice/ porridge/ snacks/ jars are all at a premium and less choice than in the UK, so bring out as much as you can (if you're going down that route)
- sugar-free anything (packet jelly, etc...)

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from any new or recent mums please. Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Bahrain

Thanks HK
if you remember where you saw the Milton please PM me. One of my drinking buddies now lives in Dubai but works in AD so I could send him out shopping for me and collect them in AD.

Really don't like microwave sterilisers. Am a bit old fashioned like that and he will have grown out of them altogether soon

Will take your tips on the sugar free stuff
But
What are Ashtons powders ?? I have grown up kids, a 14 year old and now a wee one but have never heard of Ashton powders ..... Are they a down South thing ?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:34 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

nooo, they've been going for ages!

Baby Coke ftw!

They're a herbal remedy to "soothe fretfulness in infants" - mainly teething-related. They look as dodgy as hell: a loose white powder wrapped in a bit of paper, but I swear, as soon as it's in the child's mouth, they stop crying and perk up.

As for the Miltons... I though I saw it in bottle form. Not in Boots, cos they're crud here for baby stuff... it must have been in a supermarket, so either Waitrose, Geant or Carrefour. Couldn't your partner bring some of the tablets over with her? All you need is a large tupperware with a lid.

----------

oooo, 999 posts! Whoop whoop!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Feb 7th 2010 at 6:39 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Hello.Kitty;8320591]. Couldn't your partner bring some of the tablets over with her?

Yes thats the last option but I think she is up to 3 suitcases already, probably all full of "just in case we can't get it there" stuff
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:49 am
ex-expat

[QUOTE=Tockalosh;8321632]
Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
. Couldn't your partner bring some of the tablets over with her?

Yes thats the last option but I think she is up to 3 suitcases already, probably all full of "just in case we can't get it there" stuff
hehe, yes... I have no idea how those diddy baby clothes end up taking more room than my own stuff!

I found that half of my suitcase was taken up with toys - "oo, but it's her favourite!" (haha) - but a toy is a toy, so it's almost worth just bringing out the most favourite toy - and any books (I've only found one cloth book out here and that was for £10 in Mothercare! ouch!)... and buy some new ones out here. There's more important stuff to bring.

Oh yes... one last thing - just in case you've never travelled with bubs before on a plane - take the car-seat in with you to the cabin and stow it there. It's too precious to stick in the hold. Kick up a stink it they say no. We checked ours in on our first ever flight and on the return, it got staved in... I was livid, cos it's not like the handlers can't see it's a safety seat. Anyhow, same for the buggy, either take a cheapy one or secure it really well, especially protecting the foam handlebar grip, which has a tendency to rip in-flight.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

if you don't like the microwave sort why not steam or boil the bottles?

we bought a vegetable steamer, much larger than a tommie tippee type and does exactly the same thing for 1/4 of the price

beats using chemicals any day in my mind and is quicker
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:27 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
if you don't like the microwave sort why not steam or boil the bottles?

we bought a vegetable steamer, much larger than a tommie tippee type and does exactly the same thing for 1/4 of the price

beats using chemicals any day in my mind and is quicker
or just give them a good wash with oldfashioned hot water and washing up liquid...
I like those mums that are anal about sterilizing everything but see no problem in popping their fingers in precious little babys mouth
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:28 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
or just give them a good wash with oldfashioned hot water and washing up liquid...
I like those mums that are anal about sterilizing everything but see no problem in popping their fingers in precious little babys mouth
I agree! I steamed in a fashion for about 8 month then got pissed off with it and just gave them a good old clean! at this point Rachel was actually trying to eat cat food anyway!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree! I steamed in a fashion for about 8 month then got pissed off with it and just gave them a good old clean! at this point Rachel was actually trying to eat cat food anyway!
well, I can honestly say that with all 4 I have never sterilized anything...but then I am a bad bad mother...
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

well, I can honestly say that with all 4 I have never sterilized anything...but then I am a bad bad mother...
yeah well there is that isn't there I won Mother of the Year award last week for sending my child to school with no lunch, the previous time I won it was for not sending her at all
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:41 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

..and bad, bad mothers need to be punished......muaahhhaahhhahhhaaa
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:55 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tockalosh;8321632]
Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
. Couldn't your partner bring some of the tablets over with her?

Tock,

We are in Bahrain and had to get the steriliser tabs brought over with friend from the UK.

BTW - Agree with KC the babby cocaine is a marvel of modern medicine...

Cheers
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so with you! When they start to crawl you might as well give up. It all goes in the mouth anyway
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:25 am
ex-expat

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'm so with you! When they start to crawl you might as well give up. It all goes in the mouth anyway
Never had to sterilise anything, cos it'd be too painful. Plus, Miss Kitty's favourite toy was known as "rancid Rabbit" which kind of made any kind of hygiene a joke... she found and ate some rat poo when we first moved to JBR too. Day 3 of weaning Mr Kitty Jnr (oo, got to do it properly - purees et al), found his sister feeding him pasta with chilli sauce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.