Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice on Abu Dhabi Job Offer - Please!

Advice on Abu Dhabi Job Offer - Please!

Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

heathcliffe54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Abu Dhabi Job Offer - Please!

I am a new member and would really appreciate any advice members could give me on an offer my husband has received from Abu Dhabi.

My husband works as a quality engineer in the aircraft engine industry. We have two small children (aged 3 and 1) and the whole family would be relocating to Abu Dhabi. From info I secured from the internet, the offer seems to be insufficient for us to sustain a decent standard of living considering elevated accommadation costs and private education costs.

The offer is:

Basic Salary:
AED. 9,744.00 Per Month

Housing Allowance:
AED. 10,417.00 Per Month

Utility & Transport Allowance:
AED. 2,000.00 Per Month

Uniform allowance:
AED. 120.00 Per Month(When Applicable)

Monthly Total:
AED. 22,161.00

Probationary Period:
Three (3) months commencing on the date of joining.

Insurance:
Medical & Dental treatment will be provided for the employee and eligible family members who are resident in UAE.

Annual Leave:
Entitled for 22 working days per annum. Leave cannot be availed during probationary period.

Air Travel
Company provides One economy class air travel tickets for self on final joining, final repatriation from Abu Dhabi and annually when proceeding on annual leave.

Length of contract:
Open End

Any advice for us please? Many thanks

I actually posted this on duchy's thread a couple of days ago. Have been told it's bad form to "highjack" someone elses thread! Apologies! Just learning
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on Abu Dhabi Job Offer - Please!

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54
I am a new member and would really appreciate any advice members could give me on an offer my husband has received from Abu Dhabi.

My husband works as a quality engineer in the aircraft engine industry. We have two small children (aged 3 and 1) and the whole family would be relocating to Abu Dhabi. From info I secured from the internet, the offer seems to be insufficient for us to sustain a decent standard of living considering elevated accommadation costs and private education costs.

The offer is:

Basic Salary:
AED. 9,744.00 Per Month

Housing Allowance:
AED. 10,417.00 Per Month

AED. 2,000.00 Per Month

Uniform allowance:

Monthly Total:
AED. 22,161.00

Probationary Period:

Insurance:
Medical & Dental treatment will be provided for the employee and eligible family members who are resident in UAE.

Annual Leave:
Entitled for 22 working days per annum. Leave cannot be availed during probationary period.

Air Travel
Company provides One economy class air travel tickets for self on final joining, final repatriation from Abu Dhabi and annually when proceeding on annual leave.

Length of contract:
Open End

Any advice for us please? Many thanks

I actually posted this on duchy's thread a couple of days ago. Have been told it's bad form to "highjack" someone elses thread! Apologies! Just learning
I thought that the accommodation was low until I saw it was in Al Ain, here accommodation is much lower so 120k will get you a nice villa. Basic not very good and you need to press them for schooling, once your 3yo goes to school the fees will eat into your budget.

Can I suggest you read the "living in al ain" thread on this forum? It is a behemoth of a thread now so use the search thread option to seek out info re housing, schools etc
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:38 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

Very low for family!!!

Keep in mind that if you went to holiday they pay you only, lets say for the 30 day leave, your basic salary!

Then i guess you need 2 cars which means Insurance twice petrol etc etc

If you want to have some activities for your kids and later on kindergaren plus school. NOW WAY witht this salary!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:41 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

forgot,

you can surveive from this money but you will not save for your future!!

And only to surveive in middle east.................... its your call but i dont think its a good idea!

Under
20 k for a single and
25 k for small family
30 k for 4-5 person

it make no sense!!!
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

not enough for Al Ain. rent will cost you 80,000 per year and you're left with not much after that. especially when your kids start nursery etc.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:25 am
Banned

nikkisizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi heathcliffe54,

As with any move, you need to get over here first then move onwards and upwards from there.

If your husband is prepared to commute to Abu Dhabi there is an area called Mirdif (approx 15mins drive from Dubai airport) which has a really nice community feel to it and a good school with many expats living in the area.

We have a beautiful two bedroom villa with private garden and private pool (not communal) which costs us only AED 75k per annum and there are many four bedroom villa's close by going for approx AED 100k per annum so it all depends on whether you want to pay extra to live centrally.

Also, I would advise that when you do arrive here in sunny Dubai you ensure that everything is wrapped up and in hand with your tax affairs back in the UK as you do not want any nasty surprises!

Happy to help if needed
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Newbie is suggesting a daily commute from Mirdif to Abu Dhabi/Al Ain
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mentalist
Newbie is suggesting a daily commute from Mirdif to Abu Dhabi/Al Ain
Having lived in Dubai for the last six years and knowing what the daily commute used to be like back then to what it is now, it really is not that bad at all.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 11:02 am
Kraut

???????????

So you recomend that they should travel each single day 300 km?????

which ist 6000 per month and lets say plus private driving arround 80000 per year. This to save may 10000 Aed for rent????????????

Strange estimation.............ah no sorry its Dubai, then its fine
Old Nov 27th 2011, 11:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by guuuude
???????????

So you recomend that they should travel each single day 300 km?????

which ist 6000 per month and lets say plus private driving arround 80000 per year. This to save may 10000 Aed for rent????????????

Strange estimation.............ah no sorry its Dubai, then its fine
Kindly take note of what I stated in my post:

"As with any move, you need to get over here first then move onwards and upwards from there"
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:06 pm
Kraut

mhh no offence you recomment that they should come over here first and then think what too do?

I guess the better way is to be aware of the risks and to have a prober finance plan. Because a move to here means may sell or cancel house/rent contract. Sell may furniture in their home country, or not may with this salary to keep the accomodation in UK and pay them from here as a backup isnt possible.

So that means sell everything come over and they MAY realize it was a stupid idea?? Then go back and lost a lot of money for trying??

As a single may should try it but with the responsibility for a family NO BLOODY WAY!!

And again you think from Mirdif travel on a daily basis to Al Ain is worth to try?? YOu should realize that you may got the wrong approach to the theme here!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:19 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkisizer
Having lived in Dubai for the last six years and knowing what the daily commute used to be like back then to what it is now, it really is not that bad at all.
Sorry, but that's just nuts. It depends on many factors--Mirdif to downtown AD must be frigging murderous to do every day, on the other hand it may not be so bad if its to AD airport (but its still the best part of 100 miles each way among some of the worst drivers in the world): but you can't just make sweeping statements along the lines of it used to be really bad, but its not as bad now, so its OK. Having the plague back in the middle ages was really bad, but they've got drugs and stuff now, so its really not so bad.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nikkisizer
Hi heathcliffe54,

As with any move, you need to get over here first then move onwards and upwards from there.

If your husband is prepared to commute to Abu Dhabi there is an area called Mirdif (approx 15mins drive from Dubai airport) which has a really nice community feel to it and a good school with many expats living in the area.

We have a beautiful two bedroom villa with private garden and private pool (not communal) which costs us only AED 75k per annum and there are many four bedroom villa's close by going for approx AED 100k per annum so it all depends on whether you want to pay extra to live centrally.

Also, I would advise that when you do arrive here in sunny Dubai you ensure that everything is wrapped up and in hand with your tax affairs back in the UK as you do not want any nasty surprises!

Happy to help if needed
Have all your neighbours moved out or what as this is the second thread you've told someone to move to Mirdiff when it's basically just totally inappropriate, either that or your trying to shift a few houses
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

heathcliffe54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much to everyone who responded. We rejected the offer but the company have now come back and asked us to tell them what our requirements would be. We need to respond pretty quickly but I would appreciate any advice you can give me on what we should expect/require. Family of 4 (2 children aged 3 and 1). I have reposted the original offer below. I know we need to get education allowance in there. Can anyone give me an idea of what that should be?

Rejected offer:
Basic Salary:
AED. 9,744.00 Per Month

Housing Allowance:
AED. 10,417.00 Per Month

AED. 2,000.00 Per Month

Uniform allowance:

Monthly Total:
AED. 22,161.00

Probationary Period:

Insurance:

Annual Leave:

Air Travel

Length of contract:
Open End

Appreciate any advice you could give me
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi matey

not sure how to put this nicely so wont even try. The original salary was so shite that it beggared belief. I have a reasonable view of what an aircraft engineer can earn as my ex son in law worked for BAE in Prestbury as an aircraft engineer and as you will know what they originally offered was well below what he used to take home 5 years ago.

A good friend in Dubai was a helicopter engineer before finding a more lucrative position in marine engineering and he earned a shit load more in salary than your package.

They are not going to tripple your salary so I would seriously consider trying other companies in the region who may offer something that reflects your skills better.

Sorry to be negative and others will disagree but I rate European aircraft engineers highly and I think you deserve to be paid accordingly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.