British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   ADEC/Ramadan Rumours... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/adec-ramadan-rumours-857127/)

driftingaway Apr 26th 2015 9:39 am

ADEC/Ramadan Rumours...

Hi all,

My wife works for a school in Abu Dhabi. We were originally told that school would start again on 31st August.

We are now hearing rumours that due to Ramadan being early this year, the school holiday may be moved to start in early June and end 10th August.

The school won't confirm this until ADEC says anything.

Just wondered if anyone knows if this has happened historically (in AD or Dubai) for summer? I know Eid moves about and holidays with it, but we had thought the summer hols were a bit more rigid...

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 26th 2015 10:41 am

Re: ADEC/Ramadan Rumours...

Originally Posted by driftingaway (Post 11629189)
Hi all,

My wife works for a school in Abu Dhabi. We were originally told that school would start again on 31st August.

We are now hearing rumours that due to Ramadan being early this year, the school holiday may be moved to start in early June and end 10th August.

The school won't confirm this until ADEC says anything.

Just wondered if anyone knows if this has happened historically (in AD or Dubai) for summer? I know Eid moves about and holidays with it, but we had thought the summer hols were a bit more rigid...

My mrs has been told what their Ramadan hours are so I'm assuming they will just work through like normal...I'll ask if she's heard any different.

driftingaway Apr 26th 2015 10:51 am

Thanks matey :)

archie159 Apr 26th 2015 12:25 pm

I assume Scamp's Mrs works in Dubai, where I believe he works... in that case, ADEC does not cover Dubai schools, and what she has heard won't necessarily apply to Abu Dhabi.
One of the AD schools we use sent out provisional autumn dates last week, which had a start date for last Sunday of August - but they did provide a warning that these had not yet been agreed by ADEC.

I don't see how they could move the end of term forward to early June - at least some of the UK official exams don't finish till mid-June.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 26th 2015 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by archie159 (Post 11629309)
I assume Scamp's Mrs works in Dubai, where I believe he works... in that case, ADEC does not cover Dubai schools, and what she has heard won't necessarily apply to Abu Dhabi.
One of the AD schools we use sent out provisional autumn dates last week, which had a start date for last Sunday of August - but they did provide a warning that these had not yet been agreed by ADEC.

I don't see how they could move the end of term forward to early June - at least some of the UK official exams don't finish till mid-June.

:thumbup: Forgot to mention that, yes - we are in Dubai.

Of course it's foolish of me to expect the nation to be aligned!!! :nod:

I'll see what she says anyway.

busybee2 Apr 26th 2015 3:40 pm

adec have not confirmed the dates yet.. but i would be very surprised if they do change.. they will just work the normal ramadan hours of reduced by 1.5 hours in any case.. the school has to be open a few days after ramadan has started as the gcse exams are still being sat. a lot of people will ignore the end of term in any case i have heard rumours that a lot of people will be leaving early but schools have to get in their minimum number of school days worked and its always touch and go because of all the hols usually in term 1, this year thou they have been a little better in that respect. all you can do is wait until adec tells you what they are going to be. in our sch the sixth form is definately coming back end of august... and of course they are in in any case with the results days etc etc.

Up2U2 Apr 29th 2015 8:03 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11629429)
adec have not confirmed the dates yet.. but i would be very surprised if they do change.. they will just work the normal ramadan hours of reduced by 1.5 hours in any case.. the school has to be open a few days after ramadan has started as the gcse exams are still being sat. a lot of people will ignore the end of term in any case i have heard rumours that a lot of people will be leaving early but schools have to get in their minimum number of school days worked and its always touch and go because of all the hols usually in term 1, this year thou they have been a little better in that respect. all you can do is wait until adec tells you what they are going to be. in our sch the sixth form is definately coming back end of august... and of course they are in in any case with the results days etc etc.

I would say the you definitely left school early - before the spelling and grammar lessons were beaten into you!!

TGFKASE Apr 29th 2015 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Up2U2 (Post 11632051)
I would say the you definitely left school early - before the spelling and grammar lessons were beaten into you!!

Pot... Kettle....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

busybee2 Apr 29th 2015 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Up2U2 (Post 11632051)

nope.... just cant be arsed with pressing down the shift key!!!! :p deal with it! i aint changing...! ask the others!:thumbsup:

driftingaway Apr 29th 2015 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11632559)
nope.... just cant be arsed with pressing down the shift key!!!! :p deal with it! i aint changing...! ask the others!:thumbsup:

i think the official response is

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nonthaburi Apr 30th 2015 5:19 am

Totally not relevant to UAE, but in KSA I have been told that schools are opening again on the 23rd of August.