British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   AD travel times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ad-travel-times-867799/)

P18PPS Nov 10th 2015 11:34 am

AD travel times

Moving to AD and want to make sure we are looking in locations where the commute to work / schools is not too big. In Doha I currently have a 10 minute commute to the office and 30 minutes to school so not too bad.

I will be working in Maryah Island and schools are either Cranleigh or BSAK. It looks as though the really expensive areas (Saadiyat, Corniche) are the obvious places to look but what other good areas are within say 30 minutes during rush hours that might be a bit cheaper?

Any suggestions appreciated.

al dente Nov 11th 2015 2:50 am

Re: AD travel times

Have you got school places confirmed? What ages are your children?

Yes, there is traffic but anywhere on island or Al Raha beach/ Bandar etc should be good for you.

al dente Nov 11th 2015 2:52 am

And Sadiyaat island, obviously.

al dente Nov 11th 2015 4:10 am

And Sadiyaat island, obviously.

P18PPS Nov 11th 2015 5:06 am

I know school places will be really difficult to get at these schools but we are confident we can get them.

Great if Raha Beach is that short a travel time as it opens up other options? Would love Saadiyaat even though the cost is stupid - based on the internet anyway. Are the villas here really that price or are there deals to be made we were thinking between 500 - 600 but this seems impossible!

al dente Nov 11th 2015 8:28 am

You may be confident on school places but it depends on age. We are still waiting for an Fs2 place at Cranleigh despite having 2 other children there. I'd have thought for 600 you would get something on Sadiyaat. No where else is as expensive and the next phase is coming on line, I think. We looked last year and I turned down one for 580 as just couldn't justify the cost.

al dente Nov 11th 2015 8:30 am

Lots of Cranleigh parents live in Al Bandar, quicker to drive up over sadiyaat than salaam Street.

P18PPS Nov 11th 2015 10:58 am

Thanks for the tips.

al dente Nov 11th 2015 3:30 pm

We live in the centre of the island, in a compound with facilities. My husband works on the Corniche, i work on the bottom of the island and our children are at Cranleigh and BSAK. It is manageable.

iggle Nov 12th 2015 7:24 am

I live in Gate Towers, which would be 5 minutes from Al Maryah. Why aren't you looking at Al Reeam Island?

archie159 Nov 13th 2015 10:08 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 11791139)
I know school places will be really difficult to get at these schools but we are confident we can get them.

Great if Raha Beach is that short a travel time as it opens up other options? Would love Saadiyaat even though the cost is stupid - based on the internet anyway. Are the villas here really that price or are there deals to be made we were thinking between 500 - 600 but this seems impossible!

500-600 whats per what? If you mean your budget is 500-600k AED per year, then you'll get a huge villa almost anywhere for that money.