Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

AD Rental Accommodation

AD Rental Accommodation

Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:15 am
PeterC

PeterC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AD Rental Accommodation

I'm about to take a married status posting in AD and need some friendly advise as to where best to stay.
We have grown up kids and will be leaving them behind although we do expect them to visit at our expense of course....
W'd prefer a villa (2/3 bed) and fairly central - nothing more than say a 30 minute commute. The area would ideally have a bit of life about it with usual brit expat community spirit etc and oh yes and the wife would like to bring our dog Great to get some feedback.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AD Rental Accommodation

By the time Great gets here, it will be too late for feedback. You must really value that dog's opinion huh?

Seriously: Where are you going to be working? Sas Al Nakhl Compound seems nice...
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Friends live on Khalifa Park - there are various compounds there which are quite nice.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:32 am

SugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to all

Not central but Raha gardens is nice. Great house sizes and nearly every place has a garden. Even better now that Gardens Plaza is very nearly complete. Takes my husband about half an hour to get to work in tourist club area.

I guess it depends a lot as to what your budget is?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:12 am
PeterC

PeterC is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all for responses, which will give me something to work on.
The allowance is AED220K and I'd be working for ZADCO.
My company will only provide temporary accommodation in staff house for a few days, on arrival before I get a place sorted.
As I'll be on my own for a time, is it possible typically to get short term fully furnished rental (say an apartment for 1 to 3 months located centrally) - to enable chance to look around at options.
I've heard that some landlords try and get you locked in to 12 month contracts.

Different subject - can you access and use Skype in UAE or is this blocked?
Pretty important that somehow I can keep in touch with home.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterC
As I'll be on my own for a time, is it possible typically to get short term fully furnished rental (say an apartment for 1 to 3 months located centrally) - to enable chance to look around at options.
Yes, but it's quite expensive - maybe 12k AED/ month for a small 1 bed serviced flat

Different subject - can you access and use Skype in UAE or is this blocked?
Pretty important that somehow I can keep in touch with home.
Thanks again.
yes. install it on the laptop before you come
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

There are numerous of these e.g. Vision Hotel Apartments, the Arjaan Rotana places (I think there's two of them in AD).
Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I'm doing exactly this, but staying in a small hotel apartment in central Abu Dhabi - nothing grand, just one room, and paying 9000AED per month.