Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Activities for girls in Doha

Activities for girls in Doha

Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Emerson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activities for girls in Doha

Newbie here--I am considering moving to Doha. I have searched the past threads on this board, and the board's opinion on Doha is decidedly...uh...mixed. I'm not a newcomer to the Middle East (6 years in Beirut), although I would be a newcomer to the Gulf. My question is about my daughter, who is almost 4. Right now, she is enrolled in things like tumbling/gymnastics and other activities; as she gets older, we'd like to sign her up for soccer (oops--I mean football), tennis, gymnastics and other activities. Are such activities available for girls in Doha?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

onemorething is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Activities for girls in Doha

Originally Posted by Emerson
Newbie here--I am considering moving to Doha. I have searched the past threads on this board, and the board's opinion on Doha is decidedly...uh...mixed. I'm not a newcomer to the Middle East (6 years in Beirut), although I would be a newcomer to the Gulf. My question is about my daughter, who is almost 4. Right now, she is enrolled in things like tumbling/gymnastics and other activities; as she gets older, we'd like to sign her up for soccer (oops--I mean football), tennis, gymnastics and other activities. Are such activities available for girls in Doha?
http://www.qis.org/ ???
http://www.gemseducation.com/server....w=ConWebDoc.73 ???
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Doha_Education ???

Last edited by onemorething; Feb 14th 2008 at 7:21 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the links! Some of those look good. I think if we go to Doha my employer pays for the American School, but not for any of the others. But the American School does seem to have girls' sports, happily. But I was also wondering about the availability of extra-curricular activities, such as private studios that offer gymnastics, or sports clubs that offer tennis lessons for girls. Does anybody know about anything like this?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

www.qatarliving.com
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

added those links to the wiki, though the gems school was already listed in the education section, added it to the general one as well
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:21 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emerson
Thanks for the links! Some of those look good. I think if we go to Doha my employer pays for the American School, but not for any of the others. But the American School does seem to have girls' sports, happily. But I was also wondering about the availability of extra-curricular activities, such as private studios that offer gymnastics, or sports clubs that offer tennis lessons for girls. Does anybody know about anything like this?
i think i have answered you in the other site
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:05 am
Just Joined

bigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nice

My daughter did gymnastics with Miquel at DESS (Doha English Speaking School) when we were in Doha. He and his staff are very good.

The lady you need to speak to is Sheila Innes (sorry don't have her number but you might get it on one of the other websites or by looking at the DESS website under newsletters).

HTH
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by novita77
i think i have answered you in the other site
Yes, but I like to make sure I cover all my bases.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

The American school has lots of Sports activities. It is mixed though, not only girls or only boys.
The tricky part is to get your daughter enrolled......real tricky, trust me.