British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Accomodation Restrictions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/accomodation-restrictions-754146/)

jasonx Apr 7th 2012 5:30 pm

Accomodation Restrictions

Hi all,

Question regarding accommodation. In the UAE there are restrictions regarding male and female living together if not married. Since the company offers accommodation what are the solutions on that matter?

Cheers.

OleJanx Apr 7th 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Accomodation Restrictions

Originally Posted by jasonx (Post 9993800)
Hi all,

Question regarding accommodation. In the UAE there are restrictions regarding male and female living together if not married. Since the company offers accommodation what are the solutions on that matter?

Cheers.

You're beginning to worry me. Do some searches on this bored. The answers are out there...

typical Apr 7th 2012 6:01 pm

1) Live apart
2) Pay for your own place and break the law
3) Wedding bells

Oyibopeppeh Apr 7th 2012 6:02 pm

Hi all,

Cheers.

Don't get caught knobbing your housegirl

jasonx Apr 7th 2012 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9993816)
You're beginning to worry me. Do some searches on this bored. The answers are out there...

My girlfriend and I have an offer to go to Abu Dhabi and was just asking whether some of you faced the same situations and any suitable solution or options to take into consideration prior of deciding.

Cheers

OleJanx Apr 7th 2012 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jasonx (Post 9993855)
My girlfriend and I have an offer to go to Dubai and was just asking whether some of you faced the same situations and any suitable solution or options to take into consideration prior of deciding.

Cheers

Thought your offer was in Abu Dhabi?

Oyibopeppeh Apr 7th 2012 6:28 pm

Don't confuse the poor lad OJ, he just wants his hole...

soukie Apr 8th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jasonx (Post 9993855)
My girlfriend and I have an offer to go to Abu Dhabi and was just asking whether some of you faced the same situations and any suitable solution or options to take into consideration prior of deciding.

Cheers

AD is stricter than Dubai but you need to be aware that living together IS illegal although plenty of people risk it. However you need to be careful as some friends of our were quizzed the other week - it was funny though as they are actually married. They were followed back to their apartment block after a night out and he got the lift and she went up the stairs as she has a phobia of lifts - soon after they got a knock on the door and were asked to provide their visas etc. Could have been nasty.

britexpat76 Apr 8th 2012 10:38 am

If you are in Hotel accommodation you have 0% chance of sneaking her in. You would need your own place or a shite hotel room for the night. (where they don't ask questions)

Failing that you need an understanding mate with a spare room.

Millhouse Apr 8th 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9993836)
1) Live apart
2) Pay for your own place and break the law
3) Wedding bells

You forget option 4 - dump her at the airport.

jasonx Apr 8th 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9994577)
AD is stricter than Dubai but you need to be aware that living together IS illegal although plenty of people risk it. However you need to be careful as some friends of our were quizzed the other week - it was funny though as they are actually married. They were followed back to their apartment block after a night out and he got the lift and she went up the stairs as she has a phobia of lifts - soon after they got a knock on the door and were asked to provide their visas etc. Could have been nasty.

Thank you Soukie for your reply. It is quite a subject the fact of living together. I was actually surprised that they were followed... it looks like communist countries in the past...

There is no major solution but to risk then in case we decide to go there.

kittycat1 Apr 8th 2012 6:04 pm

or get married Jason- congratulations:heart::heart::heart:

busybee2 Apr 8th 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9994577)

Some companies especially in AD will not allow you to live together, and if they are paying for your accommodation thats how they police it etc.

busybee2 Apr 8th 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jasonx (Post 9995094)
Thank you Soukie for your reply. It is quite a subject the fact of living together. I was actually surprised that they were followed... it looks like communist countries in the past...

There is no major solution but to risk then in case we decide to go there.

just get the piece of paper to be on the safe side, in apartment blocks there can be eyes watching you everywhere, be careful of taxis they will "report" back too.

Millsyisland Apr 9th 2012 3:41 am

And don't forget you won't be able to sponsor her if you're not married so she'll have to find a job too in order to stay.

I'd suggest you do a little more investigation before committing to anything, I fear you no little about the country in which you're intending to work, and possibly co-habit. Penalties for what the western world would consider trivial or not an offence can be severe over here.