British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   ACCOMODATION INFO (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/accomodation-info-541524/)

Stasudedoss Jun 6th 2008 9:30 am

ACCOMODATION INFO

Hi all.
I'm evaluating moving to Dubai and have read many threads which have mostly answered all the questions.
One thing I would like to ask though:

What is the real availability of renting a "studio flat"? Are they easy to find? (Discovery Gardens, Greens, Marina, etc.)
Price ranges indicated are between 70k and 100k AED, are they realistic prices?

Thanks for the info.

admon Jun 6th 2008 9:34 am

Re: ACCOMODATION INFO

Originally Posted by Stasudedoss (Post 6440239)
Hi all.
I'm evaluating moving to Dubai and have read many threads which have mostly answered all the questions.
One thing I would like to ask though:

What is the real availability of renting a "studio flat"? Are they easy to find? (Discovery Gardens, Greens, Marina, etc.)
Price ranges indicated are between 70k and 100k AED, are they realistic prices?

Thanks for the info.

can be 50k or under at International City.
I understand some of the apartments being built along the main road will also include cheap studios.

Greens and Marina are generally 1 bed plus, little or nothing on studios, with prices now over 100k for a 1 bed.
Discovery gardens has a lot of studios and I expect around the 50-70k mark

Fairydust Jun 6th 2008 9:45 am

Should be a load of studios available at Silicon Oasis in the coming months - in fact when I drove past one of the apartment blocks yesterday looked like a few apartments already occupied

Stasudedoss Jun 6th 2008 9:51 am

Admon & Fairydust,
wow that was quick!
Thanks for the info.
Discovery Gardens seems nice from the website. Is it mostly for families or singles? Are they still building or is it mostly finished?
How's the traffic to get to Jebel Ali Free Zone?
How's the traffic to Sharjah (I suppose it should be less as it's against the flow?)
Where abouts is Silicon Oasis? Is it a Free Zone?
Sorry for the many questions.

Fairydust Jun 6th 2008 10:02 am

Can only speak about Silicon Oasis its basically off the al ain road (E66) right by academic city, we are in a villa up there but there are loads of tower blocks being built - some residential some commerical and yes it is a free zone. To JAFZ not sure how long it would take but there is easy access from here onto the dubai bypass road which I think takes you there. Driving times from here to Shj aren't too bad as you can get directly onto Emirates Road, to MOE prob about 20 mins, to Mirdiff about 10mins, to Festival City about 15 mins. Bonus for me is yes its further to drive but you are not stuck in horrific traffic jams all the time as I was when I lived in Jumeirah. Not much up here at the mo. although there is a Spinneys, MMI and Costa. There eventually will be a shopping mall I believe? HTH

http://www.dso.ae/

Blue Cat Jun 6th 2008 12:45 pm

Discovery Gardens is perfect for Jebel Ali, it looks quite nice up there, had a drive round a few weeks ago. Very close to the Mall etc as well.

Saj786 Jun 6th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6440896)
Discovery Gardens is perfect for Jebel Ali, it looks quite nice up there, had a drive round a few weeks ago. Very close to the Mall etc as well.

Hi All, I am new here and considering Dubai as a location, having read some of the posts i cant beleive how expensive accomodation is. Also, is it really the case where you have to pay up-front for the year?

I am in Dubai at the end of June and wondering if estate agents work in the same fashin as they do in the UK where they take you around and show you what they have available in their books matching my criteria?

madferrit Jun 7th 2008 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6441124)
Hi All, I am new here and considering Dubai as a location, having read some of the posts i cant beleive how expensive accomodation is. Also, is it really the case where you have to pay up-front for the year?

I am in Dubai at the end of June and wondering if estate agents work in the same fashin as they do in the UK where they take you around and show you what they have available in their books matching my criteria?

Saj,

From what I've seen, 12 months upfront is usually the deal, but some people do allow you to give it in the form of 2 or 3 chqs which tey hold onto and cash at said times throughout the year.

Saj786 Jun 7th 2008 4:56 pm

thanks for your quick response - that was really helpful - this can allow me some time rather than having to fork out a HUGE amount at one - ta again

admon Jun 8th 2008 4:49 am

we have always paid the rent in 2 cheques, to 3 different landlords on 3 different houses.

Some will push for 1 cheque, but most will happily accept 2