British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Accommodation in Riyadh and Jeddah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/accommodation-riyadh-jeddah-860347/)

Lyrehs Jun 18th 2015 4:06 pm

Accommodation in Riyadh and Jeddah

I'm considering taking an internal transfer from Dubai to KSA (my choice of either Riyadh or Jeddah). Current package is around 400k AED plus my wife brings in 140k AED, so that's 540k AED per annum all inclusive. Of that, we save around 320k AED per year and still live very well.

The initial offer to move to KSA is 720k SAR, inclusive of allowances. As mentioned, I could go to either Riyadh or Jeddah.

If we move, my wife would give up work. She's OK with the move as long as we live in a secure compound where she can wear whatever she likes. A 2-bedroom apartment or villa would suffice very well.

I'm wondering, firstly, whether the seniors here would recommend Jeddah or Riyadh and, second, whether a decent two-bedroom apartment could be rented in a secure compound with pool, walking, cafes, etc) for around 110 SAR.

I don't think I could justify the move if we were having to pay more than 120k SAR.

Also, would it be reasonable of me to expect my employer to find accommodation for me? Working in the Dubai wing of the business, I really don't know what to expect from Saudi.

This would be a huge move for my wife and I, so I'd really appreciate your comments / questions.

themajor Jun 18th 2015 4:19 pm

Re: Accommodation in Riyadh and Jeddah

My wife and I lived in Arabian Homes in Jeddah. She loved it. Everything needed was in the compound. We walked to the Red Sea in the evenings. No idea of the rental prices as my company paid lock stock and barrel.

bodieanddoyle Jun 22nd 2015 7:24 pm

If you want 2 bed for 110k, Jeddah is the place to go. You'll get nothing decent for that in Riyadh. Arabian homes is nice. Sharbatly is huge, with everything inside you'll need but scruffy and full of feral kids and feral cats. Al Basateen is very well kept, but quiet. Not sure about prices there. Don't go anywhere near Nada Village. Lotus compounds might suit, or maybe Mura Bustan.

Lyrehs Jun 22nd 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks for the responses thusfar. I've decided on Jeddah. Is there any particular reason why these compounds don't list their prices on their websites?

bodieanddoyle Jun 22nd 2015 8:04 pm

Not really, other than laziness I think. Although I know that sometimes they like to add on extras at a whim. Sharbatly certainly did. Do not take the websites for granted - you must if at all possible visit them first.

Lyrehs Jun 22nd 2015 8:09 pm

Realistically I don't think I will be able to visit them first. In addition, there seems to be a waiting list for everything, so I will need to try to reserve one from Dubai and then move when an apartment becomes available. In general, based on your own experiences and comments from friends, etc, what would be the likely cost of a 2-bedroom apartment in either Sharbatly or Arabian Homes? And of these two, which one is, on balance, the best one to live in in terms of facilities?

bodieanddoyle Jun 22nd 2015 8:23 pm

Sharbatly will definitely be cheaper. We rented a 2 bed 100sqm 'villa' (read one storey tin house) unfurnished for 78500pa. You do get a bit of private walled garden with that. The compound is huge - 1000 homes. To be fair the facilities are fantastic and well kept. Good restaurant, 3 pools, bowling alley, free shopping and beach buses. Supermarket. Hair dressers. Beauty salon, gym etc. Social life is quite good. You just have to forgive the general rundown state it's in. Some improvements were being made when we left but so slow.... there are a lot of different nationalities in the compound. A lot of arabs, some English, South African. Arabian will be more expensive - I'm not sure on their pricing. The facilities arent quite as good but the compound is much better maintained.

Lyrehs Jun 22nd 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for the details. Have you encountered many Filipinos in these compounds? My wife is from there and I'd hope she would be able to make friends with other residents as I'd be traveling quite a bit.

bodieanddoyle Jun 22nd 2015 8:37 pm

Yes they are Filipinos but they're mostly domestic staff/workers. I've only encountered two Filipinos in the compound that weren't staff.... its pretty much like that all over saudi.

scot47 Jun 22nd 2015 8:43 pm

I had colleagues who were married to Filipinas. There are a lot around - in many different roles. Lots in ancillary medical jobs, nursing etc.

Lyrehs Jun 23rd 2015 6:12 am

Nice. Thanks. My wife is an accountant and would possibly start working there down the line, but for at least the first year or two probably would not.

I'm curious - when you say that Shrabatly "added on" extra costs, are these extra costs included in the figure of 79k, or additional to it? If additional, what was the final annual cost for you?

bodieanddoyle Jun 23rd 2015 7:43 am

They'll add on approx 8k a year for a furnished property. Then you have to take the 'starter pack' - kitchen gadgets basically - for another few thousand. So it goes up to approx 90k. Payable every year. It's a bit of a rip off. You're better off getting unfurnished and buying a job lot from ikea - you're better off after the first year or so. Some of Sharbatly furniture is also rank. Unclean, tatty etc. Basically, if you do enquire, ask for an unfurnished, two bed, concrete villa. We rented unfurnished, got ikea to deliver and assemble everything.

pvlieg Jun 23rd 2015 7:42 pm

A few observations:
Saudi is in general significantly cheaper than Dubai for just about everything so with a 50% rise in package you should be very well off.
Having lived in Saudi for almost 10 years, I'd say that there is nothing much between Jeddah and Riyadh in terms of "freedom". Advantage of Jeddah is access to the sea, but without a liberal beach etiquette this advantage is somewhat limited. Unless you scuba dive, the Red Sea is probably the best place in the world. Riyadh has a definite climate advantage, hot but dry which makes the summer almost bearable.
In terms of housing, there are many new compounds being build in Riyadh with emphasis on smaller units (i.e. 1 and 2 bedroom places, there is even an apartment compound opened recently). Dependent on the compound, finding a decent 2 bedroom for 120-140K should be very doable, which will get you a furnished unit including utilities, shopping bus, etc. You will have to bring your own softpack in most places these days. A popular older compound with a mixed population is Seder Village in Khaleej, east side of Riyadh. More upmarket alternatives would be Arabian homes, Kingdom city, Al Hamra. Recently opened Al Reem and California compounds have the advantage of having everything new, but look a little barren. Other expensive alternatives are Al Bustan and Al Nakheel. All these compounds are quite large with hundreds of houses which means you have in general a wide range of facilities. Going a bit cheaper, there are plenty of little housing compounds with 16-20 houses around a pool. Other than a small pool and gym and maybe a driver these places usually have no facilities.
Good luck with your choice!

ibad Jul 6th 2015 5:50 pm

Most of these compounds have long waiting lists. Is there any 'trick' how to secure a place?