British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Accommodation in Musandam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/accommodation-musandam-596627/)

dawnage Mar 10th 2009 1:38 pm

Accommodation in Musandam

I'm hoping to go to Musandam early next month for a night and need a bit of advice wrt accommodation. The Golden Tulip is booked out for the night I want (although I have heard that it's not a great hotel anyway) and can't find anywhere else to stay... Google and Trip Advisor searches are yielding little.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for me? It doesn't need to be anywhere particularly sexy, but reasonably decent would be good as I'm taking my visiting parents up there for a night - this rules out camping alas, as they weren't really up to that half their lives ago!

Thanks in advance for any help!

weescot Mar 10th 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Accommodation in Musandam

I don't kinow what these places are like, but you can try them. i normally go to the Golden tulip. Its not that bad - run of the mill 3 star. shame its booked out for when you want:

Khasab Hotel +968 267 30 267

The Lake Hotel [email protected]

Esra Apartments +968 267 30 464

Autonomy Mar 10th 2009 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by dawnage (Post 7363533)
I'm hoping to go to Musandam early next month for a night and need a bit of advice wrt accommodation. The Golden Tulip is booked out for the night I want (although I have heard that it's not a great hotel anyway) and can't find anywhere else to stay... Google and Trip Advisor searches are yielding little.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for me? It doesn't need to be anywhere particularly sexy, but reasonably decent would be good as I'm taking my visiting parents up there for a night - this rules out camping alas, as they weren't really up to that half their lives ago!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hmm. The Tulip used to allow camping on the lawns... anyway - as you say no good.

You could stay in RAK - Hilton etc - only 45 mins max away. Several options there. There was a Khasab Hotel, but not sure about it.

Musandam trip is great - do the dhow trip for sure. If you have a car head in to the mountains behind Khasab for stunning views.

hawkhead Mar 11th 2009 4:38 am

Esra Apartments +968 267 30 464
We always stay here, the apartments are exellent. Basic kitchen, a living room and bedroom(s). Should be perfect for your folks. Clean too and run by friendly, helpful people.

Fairydust Mar 11th 2009 6:44 am

Or at the other end of the scale there is this one, haven't stayed there but know people that have

http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-Hideaway-Zighy-Bay/

hawkhead Mar 11th 2009 6:56 am

Or at the other end of the scale there is this one, haven't stayed there but know people that have

http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-Hideaway-Zighy-Bay/
Yeah but that's more Dibba than Musandam.

Autonomy Mar 11th 2009 7:05 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7366376)
Yeah but that's more Dibba than Musandam.

and as far as I know Wadi Bih is closed permanently?

hawkhead Mar 11th 2009 7:18 am

as far as I know Wadi Bih is closed permanently?
Since when auto, do you know? It's been a bit hit and miss for a while. We talked our way through a couple of years ago and was told that if we took passports next time it would be no problem.

Autonomy Mar 11th 2009 7:34 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7366434)
Since when auto, do you know? It's been a bit hit and miss for a while. We talked our way through a couple of years ago and was told that if we took passports next time it would be no problem.

Tried it twice in the last year from RAK to Dibba direction and was told Hallas... no more. It does change though...

hawkhead Mar 11th 2009 7:37 am

Tried it twice in the last year from RAK to Dibba direction and was told Hallas... no more. It does change though...
And did you have your passports on you?

Autonomy Mar 11th 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7366518)
And did you have your passports on you?

yes - just me with valid passport and resident visa. Not happening no matter what I said. Have done this trip loads of times before with no problems.

I'm not sure if it is still blocked or not as not tried for a while.

hawkhead Mar 11th 2009 9:06 am

Hmmm. Very annoying. It's a fantastic drive but only viable if you can go from one end to the other really. Bugger.

dawnage Mar 11th 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks everyone, this is all very useful information. I've booked the Khasab Hotel and hope that the service matches the speedy and helpful e-mails I've had from them today! Alas, no booze served, so we'll have to taxi it to the Golden Tulip for dinner and drinks. Now I just have to cross my fingers that we don't get stupidly delayed at the border for no apparent good reason (like last weekend, when I drove to Muscat via Al Ain) and miss the afternoon dhow cruise I've also booked! :D