British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Accommodation in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/accommodation-doha-947199/)

af3113 Feb 24th 2023 8:08 pm

Accommodation in Doha

Hi all,

We’re in the process of moving from the UK to Doha. The employer offered the following accommodation options: Alfardan Gardens 5 (House), Les Roses 2 Conpound (House), and Alfardan Residential Tower (Apartment). I’m really looking forward to your help to decide. I have two kids (10 and 7 years old). Some people there advised to go for a house in a compound where it’s safe for the kids to play outside and make friends. Some suggested the tower where it’s close to the centre and most of activities.

I truly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks a lot!!!

GQ1 Feb 25th 2023 10:48 am

Re: Accommodation in Doha

Hi,

Housing compounds are a better choice. Both Al Fardan and Les Roses are excellent compounds with good facilities.

fth Feb 26th 2023 10:39 pm

Check the location of the kids' school versus the compound. The run from Les Roses to DESS is about 15-20 minutes is traffic is OK, it's much better than it was. AF5 is quite a bit further out but you get more space and there is a more US feel to it. I lived round the corner from the Les Roses before I left town.

For the kids, I'd pick the compound vs the tower.

banskoboy Feb 27th 2023 2:56 pm

Compound, hands down better for kids. Check school location though!

af3113 Feb 27th 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks all for your help - much appreciated.

It’s very clear now that compounds WIN. I lean towards Les Roses as it’s closer to both schools suggested to us: Doha College and Compass International Madinat Khalifa. I truly appreciate if you also have opinions on these two schools. My kids have been always in British schools and both seem to be fine from what I read online.

banskoboy Feb 27th 2023 3:45 pm

I left Doha a couple years ago, around the time that de-expatisation of Doha had already begun.
My son was attending Parkhouse which was really decent.Nowadays, as my friends tell me, most schools are simply 'english speaking' with a tiny minority of British-Europeans-American kids.
Both mentioned schools had a good reputation but also being 'elitist' and very expensive.
I hope my info is not so outdated.

fth Feb 27th 2023 11:57 pm

DESS is good and if you don't mind going American at a younger age, the American school is very close to Les Roses might be worth considering too.

mb1889 Mar 1st 2023 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by af3113 (Post 13175959)
Thanks all for your help - much appreciated.

It’s very clear now that compounds WIN. I lean towards Les Roses as it’s closer to both schools suggested to us: Doha College and Compass International Madinat Khalifa. I truly appreciate if you also have opinions on these two schools. My kids have been always in British schools and both seem to be fine from what I read online.

Les Roses is a nice compound.

In terms of schools my kids went to Compass Rayyan for 3 years and we had friends at Madinat Khalifa. It's a small school based in an old villa, facilities aren't as good as Doha College but it's better if your kids don't want to feel part of a huge school. If you want new facilities and the Compass (Nord Anglia) brand then have a look at Compass Al Themaid, it's a new campus with excellent facilities.

Doha College is a fairly new campus and a bit more out of town, great facilities though. It used to have waiting lists and policies where those with UK passports would get preference, however the demand is lower so the entry requirements have been lowered.

Both are good schools and very much at the premium (and expensive) end of the market, I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to either of them.