Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Doha

Accommodation in Doha

Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:12 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation in Doha

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor
New on Dubizzle Qatar: "87 SUPER LAXURIOUS FLAT FOR RENT AT AL SAD"

I'm there. I lav laxury.
And they have ATTAHCED BATHROOMS. Dip your toe.
Old May 5th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

Well I guess I'm looking for a place to stay, hotels are not going to be sensible beyond a week or two. My needs are basic, an air conditioned box will do, really do not need anything flash at all. I do need internet, wired or wireless and I need it to be furnished(sic), that's about all

My work area will be the new airport, where would people recommend staying? Likely prices for said air-con box? I don't mind a mild commute but nothing more than 2-3 hours each way.

Cheers
Old May 5th 2013, 12:44 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Hi folks,

Well I guess I'm looking for a place to stay, hotels are not going to be sensible beyond a week or two. My needs are basic, an air conditioned box will do, really do not need anything flash at all. I do need internet, wired or wireless and I need it to be furnished(sic), that's about all

My work area will be the new airport, where would people recommend staying? Likely prices for said air-con box? I don't mind a mild commute but nothing more than 2-3 hours each way.

Cheers
You can get to saudi in less time than that. If you really want cheap digs and dont care for any niceties then Wakra is as cheap as chips. Personally I would rather live on the moon. You can share a 2 bed for 4/5k a month near the airport.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

I understood traffic in Doha is bad so times can be extended a bit. I live in Bangkok and I'm used to normal 1-2 hour commutes from home to the city about 35km away. No problem spending an hour or two in traffic.

I guess I missed another important point regarding my wants, no sharing, I need it to be my space. That said a 2 bed at 8-9k is way less than I was expecting. Could I maybe find an air-con box at 4-5k, really?
Old May 5th 2013, 1:27 pm
Shark Fisherman

Thanks,

I understood traffic in Doha is bad so times can be extended a bit. I live in Bangkok and I'm used to normal 1-2 hour commutes from home to the city about 35km away. No problem spending an hour or two in traffic.

I guess I missed another important point regarding my wants, no sharing, I need it to be my space. That said a 2 bed at 8-9k is way less than I was expecting. Could I maybe find an air-con box at 4-5k, really?
In the crap areas, no problem. Wakra 6k gets you a Villa. You can get a half decent studio in a better area for 5. I wouldn't worry you will find something and within 30 minutes of work max.
Old May 5th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great stuff, many thanks.
Old May 5th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future

Don't be too hasty. If you're really up for 1-2 hours of driving and looking for an air-conditioned box, we have a smashing accommodation block in the Industrial Area that is as cheap as chips. Cash monthly in advance, to me, half a month's commish (of course). Friendly neighbours, won't bother you much (lock your door though).

Lots of shops and amenities in the area (including outdoor swimming pools right now).

However I am obliged to inform you, you may occasionally be woken at 4am and mistakenly bundled onto a Tata bus to Ras Laffan.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ha, bit of a joker eh? Think I'll give that offer a miss thanks

Speaking of buses, how is the public transport? I see the published routes and other details. Does anybody use them?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I've been here a month and to be honest after working a full day and almost perpetual late dinners I've really had no time to get out and do anything in the way of looking for a better place to stay. I'm in a hotel at the moment, it's small but clean, new, and everything is done, breakfast and good wi-fi internet is free.It's costing about 10.5k a month so I am interested to find something that will save me a bit on that. Given that internet is provided and I get fed well enough every day before work I'm not sure what it might worth off the bottom line. I figure I would need to find a place around 5-6k/month to make it worthwhile. On top of that I want to do a month or three at a time, don't mind paying up front but no way I want to be tied to anything until I know much more and with no obvious RP process in place I'm sure I will have to pay a premium in any case. I'll get out and drive around a bit today and tomorrow but not sure quite what I should be looking for? All I've seen so far off the main roads has been cratered back streets with groups of dodgy looking bearded folk and buildings that look like something from a war zone. Depressed!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

Well I've been here a month and to be honest after working a full day and almost perpetual late dinners I've really had no time to get out and do anything in the way of looking for a better place to stay. I'm in a hotel at the moment, it's small but clean, new, and everything is done, breakfast and good wi-fi internet is free.It's costing about 10.5k a month so I am interested to find something that will save me a bit on that. Given that internet is provided and I get fed well enough every day before work I'm not sure what it might worth off the bottom line. I figure I would need to find a place around 5-6k/month to make it worthwhile. On top of that I want to do a month or three at a time, don't mind paying up front but no way I want to be tied to anything until I know much more and with no obvious RP process in place I'm sure I will have to pay a premium in any case. I'll get out and drive around a bit today and tomorrow but not sure quite what I should be looking for? All I've seen so far off the main roads has been cratered back streets with groups of dodgy looking bearded folk and buildings that look like something from a war zone. Depressed!
How did you get on?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not well. A phone call from a friend suggesting beer is always going to impact a plan. I'll maybe just ride it out until I go home for a week in July and then look more seriously when I get back. I've had a couple of email responses from 'reputable' letting agents but all this ID, cheque business is not what I'm looking for. I've got the cash, just need to find someone who wants it.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future

All I've seen so far off the main roads has been cratered back streets with groups of dodgy looking bearded folk and buildings that look like something from a war zone. Depressed!
Sounds about right.

I can recommend popping in to Garvey's, who do ensuite rooms by the month in villas around their central compound. 5k per month with a shared kitchen, Villagio/Hyatt Plaza food court nearby, and complimentary cornflakes. Daily cleaning. Restaurant in the central compound 'Club' with Friday roast, decent gym, swimming pool. Look at a couple of rooms first, as they are all in different cycles of repair.

Find Garvey Properties "European Family Club" by going around Quality Hypermarket (Salwa Road) onto Al Aziziya Street on QH's left, then immediately taking the first left on AAS. This leads you onto a residential road ringing the Club compound. There are several entrances into the central compound, including the one dead end right in front of you (because it leads to a row of apartments separate to the 'Club' part). So go clockwise around the central compound, to one of the other entrances.

Ask anyone for Jad & for directions to the reception.

I've been in there this month. have been home before ten pm (straight from work).... twice I think.

Last edited by boyfrombangor; Jun 17th 2013 at 1:35 pm. Reason: nearby. V/HP food court nearby. Not *in* the villa
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:42 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor
Sounds about right.

I can recommend popping in to Garvey's, who do ensuite rooms by the month in villas around their central compound. 5k per month with a shared kitchen, Villagio/Hyatt Plaza food court nearby, and complimentary cornflakes. Daily cleaning. Restaurant in the central compound 'Club' with Friday roast, decent gym, swimming pool. Look at a couple of rooms first, as they are all in different cycles of repair.

Find Garvey Properties "European Family Club" by going around Quality Hypermarket (Salwa Road) onto Al Aziziya Street on QH's left, then immediately taking the first left on AAS. This leads you onto a residential road ringing the Club compound. There are several entrances into the central compound, including the one dead end right in front of you (because it leads to a row of apartments separate to the 'Club' part). So go clockwise around the central compound, to one of the other entrances.

Ask anyone for Jad & for directions to the reception.

I've been in there this month. have been home before ten pm (straight from work).... twice I think.
That used to be the place to go until they stripped the booze licence. Still, its good for sports, grubs not bad at all and a pool on your doorstep. 5k a month seems very reasonable to me.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worth a look for sure. Shame they're not stand alone places or that would be perfect. Sounds like it's worth dropping in to eat in any case so definitely on the list. Any other similar sort of places like that here?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:57 pm
Shark Fisherman

Worth a look for sure. Shame they're not stand alone places or that would be perfect. Sounds like it's worth dropping in to eat in any case so definitely on the list. Any other similar sort of places like that here?
That is the only one I know of. Food is well worth trying. I used to live 5 minutes from there and pop in 3/4 times a week.