Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Doha

Accommodation in Doha

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future
Default Accommodation in Doha

...is pants.

I just want to put on the record (for anyone researching back in the UK or UAE) that you need to live within easy reach of your place of work in Doha or else you will arrive in work exhausted, an hour after setting off - feels like two hours due to the wacky races going on around you. As soon as the current roadworks end, there will be new ones starting - every roundabout on the Corniche, apparently, to be upgraded to GSJ. Rush hour is 6am to 8pm. It's quiet on a Friday morning for a bit!

I work in the Industrial Area and therefore I have ruled out anything inside the C-ring Road (D-ring, really) or north of Landmark, ideally I will be near to Aspire and the Villagio. Trust me I am stuck in Ezdan Hotel for a month, south central West Bay, and the drive in and out is ridiculous whether I take Al Salwa or Al Waab.

Don't commit to an area until you get here, not least because you'll not learn your way around until you are on the ground. If your accommodation is provided (company villa), trust that they know what they are doing putting you where they put you. You know the quality of the firm you're going to (don't you?) - that should reflect the thought that went into your appointed location.

The QUALITY-for-cost in Doha is awful. Now I've not lived in Dubai but my workmates have and they are certain that Doha is 30-50% more expensive for the equivalent property standard. Also the city is predominantly low-rise aprt from Dafna/Pearl so the turnover/availability of apartments (which are typically compound/villa apartments on the outskirts) is pretty awful. Just compare dubizzle Dubai to dubizzle Qatar. It's like 5 or 6 releases a day city-wide!

Because I am NOT near West Bay or the Pearl, I'm not looking to share (but you shouldn't be in a 4-way share of 8k anyway, you mugs). I know my neighbourhoods will be pretty bleak and non-exclusive because I'm not on commission (I'm helping build this city for you lot on commission!). But if sacrifices on the check list (covered parking, parking at all, internet included, decent clubhouse i.e. gym, 'pool' [paddling pool]) are made, it is do-able at 6-7k for a not-awful 1-bed. Don't drop your minimum standards out of desperation, however. Qatar in general is so bleak that you need to establish a bunker of your own to thrive and survive.

You will top up your living allowance from your own pocket to afford somewhere acceptable. Mine is 5k QAR.

However, it is fun to drive around Muaither etc and spot the residences/edifices with 20 bedrooms being built by the wasta-farians amongst the hoi-polloi housing!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Accommodation in Doha

Apart from that I quite like it here.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:47 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor
...is pants.

I just want to put on the record (for anyone researching back in the UK or UAE) that you need to live within easy reach of your place of work in Doha or else you will arrive in work exhausted, an hour after setting off - feels like two hours due to the wacky races going on around you. As soon as the current roadworks end, there will be new ones starting - every roundabout on the Corniche, apparently, to be upgraded to GSJ. Rush hour is 6am to 8pm. It's quiet on a Friday morning for a bit!

I work in the Industrial Area and therefore I have ruled out anything inside the C-ring Road (D-ring, really) or north of Landmark, ideally I will be near to Aspire and the Villagio. Trust me I am stuck in Ezdan Hotel for a month, south central West Bay, and the drive in and out is ridiculous whether I take Al Salwa or Al Waab.

Don't commit to an area until you get here, not least because you'll not learn your way around until you are on the ground. If your accommodation is provided (company villa), trust that they know what they are doing putting you where they put you. You know the quality of the firm you're going to (don't you?) - that should reflect the thought that went into your appointed location.

The QUALITY-for-cost in Doha is awful. Now I've not lived in Dubai but my workmates have and they are certain that Doha is 30-50% more expensive for the equivalent property standard. Also the city is predominantly low-rise aprt from Dafna/Pearl so the turnover/availability of apartments (which are typically compound/villa apartments on the outskirts) is pretty awful. Just compare dubizzle Dubai to dubizzle Qatar. It's like 5 or 6 releases a day city-wide!

Because I am NOT near West Bay or the Pearl, I'm not looking to share (but you shouldn't be in a 4-way share of 8k anyway, you mugs). I know my neighbourhoods will be pretty bleak and non-exclusive because I'm not on commission (I'm helping build this city for you lot on commission!). But if sacrifices on the check list (covered parking, parking at all, internet included, decent clubhouse i.e. gym, 'pool' [paddling pool]) are made, it is do-able at 6-7k for a not-awful 1-bed. Don't drop your minimum standards out of desperation, however. Qatar in general is so bleak that you need to establish a bunker of your own to thrive and survive.

You will top up your living allowance from your own pocket to afford somewhere acceptable. Mine is 5k QAR.

However, it is fun to drive around Muaither etc and spot the residences/edifices with 20 bedrooms being built by the wasta-farians amongst the hoi-polloi housing!
Right dude, you have sussed out the costs pretty well but you have masses of areas to work with. You are in Ezdan, that will make you unhappy as its a ****ing shit-tip, Move out ASAP and you will be happier than a Lebbo in a perfume shop.

Areas to live, Al Azizia, Ain Khalid or even Al Sadd - I can get to Industrial area in 25 mins from there. I try and tell everyone to avoid the Pearl and West Bay if they do not work there or have kids in schools further away because of the traffic-Which will only get worse before it gets better.

It's no Dubai and the costs are a lot more here but generally I find the common man here to be more friendly, helpful and less obtuse than UAE counterparts.

Al Sadd chose me as its free accom but I wouldn't want to move now. I get into West Bay in 15 minutes in a cab which come past my pad every minute, I can walk to 2 supermarkets and there are oodles of restaurants close by. That said the flat is like a council one back home though we have made it our own now with all our own furniture. There are better places close by for 6/7k pm albeit unfurnished.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Right dude, you have sussed out the costs pretty well but you have masses of areas to work with. You are in Ezdan, that will make you unhappy as its a ****ing shit-tip, Move out ASAP and you will be happier than a Lebbo in a perfume shop.

Areas to live, Al Azizia, Ain Khalid or even Al Sadd - I can get to Industrial area in 25 mins from there. I try and tell everyone to avoid the Pearl and West Bay if they do not work there or have kids in schools further away because of the traffic-Which will only get worse before it gets better.

It's no Dubai and the costs are a lot more here but generally I find the common man here to be more friendly, helpful and less obtuse than UAE counterparts.

Al Sadd chose me as its free accom but I wouldn't want to move now. I get into West Bay in 15 minutes in a cab which come past my pad every minute, I can walk to 2 supermarkets and there are oodles of restaurants close by. That said the flat is like a council one back home though we have made it our own now with all our own furniture. There are better places close by for 6/7k pm albeit unfurnished.
Nail, head, you've hit it. I started eyeing up Al Sadd and Al Nasr to be closer to town on my rare night out but I do fancy being within walking distance to Aspire park - and also the unfurnished bit is a bastard.

Although there may be an Ikea in Doha now? I don't know, it's not like anyone's banging on about it on here?

Also: I had a local in a huge Lexus (The Mega-Land Cruiser?) match my speed - unheard of - and wag his finger at me this weekend. Some old boy. No idea what his problem is. I reserve my opinion on the locals until one of them actually speaks to me.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:59 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Nail, head, you've hit it. I started eyeing up Al Sadd and Al Nasr to be closer to town on my rare night out but I do fancy being within walking distance to Aspire park - and also the unfurnished bit is a bastard.

Although there may be an Ikea in Doha now? I don't know, it's not like anyone's banging on about it on here?

Also: I had a local in a huge Lexus (The Mega-Land Cruiser?) match my speed - unheard of - and wag his finger at me this weekend. Some old boy. No idea what his problem is. I reserve my opinion on the locals until one of them actually speaks to me.
There is indeed an Ikea, I got forced there a week or 2 ago but in brilliant Doha fashion everything the wife wanted was 'Unavailable'.......I bought some wine glasses as you can never have too many of them.

How have you managed to avoid talking to the locals, whats the secret?

You will of pissed them off for being in a car of not equal standing to the mega Lexus - These are the worst of the worst here, make land cruiser drivers look considerate.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

There is indeed an Ikea, I got forced there a week or 2 ago but in brilliant Doha fashion everything the wife wanted was 'Unavailable'.......I bought some wine glasses as you can never have too many of them.

How have you managed to avoid talking to the locals, whats the secret?

You will of pissed them off for being in a car of not equal standing to the mega Lexus - These are the worst of the worst here, make land cruiser drivers look considerate.
Rental Renault Logan, I think I deserve the abuse!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:55 pm
Shark Fisherman

Rental Renault Logan, I think I deserve the abuse!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Hamour is good too
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Al Sadd, but where I lived has been built upon -'The Yellow Building' - it used to be the Salam compound, but where I lived was pretty irrelevant, as I worked in Umm Bab, so had a mega haul down the Salwa road and beyond....
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

As soon as the current roadworks end, there will be new ones starting - every roundabout on the Corniche, apparently, to be upgraded to GSJ.
The last announcement I read was that they will signalise, not grade separate all junctions on the Corniche. The roundabouts do not work now and they will not work any better with traffic signals either.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
The last announcement I read was that they will signalise, not grade separate all junctions on the Corniche. The roundabouts do not work now and they will not work any better with traffic signals either.
You are lucky that you never had to deal with Crazy Roundabout - from the airport roundabout to the B ring road. This was three mini roundabouts and was a nightmare. Even when it was demonstrated on Qatar 37, the telly station, the toy cars used to demonstrate how it worked fell of the studio table!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:06 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by OleJanx
You are lucky that you never had to deal with Crazy Roundabout - from the airport roundabout to the B ring road. This was three mini roundabouts and was a nightmare. Even when it was demonstrated on Qatar 37, the telly station, the toy cars used to demonstrate how it worked fell of the studio table!
Right on the corner is where our company was set up. Smash car on roundabout walk over road and buy a new one.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OleJanx
I lived in Al Sadd, but where I lived has been built upon -'The Yellow Building' - it used to be the Salam compound, but where I lived was pretty irrelevant, as I worked in Umm Bab, so had a mega haul down the Salwa road and beyond....
Bloody hell, I visited there last week. I know Dukhan is quiet, but that commute was quite some lifestyle choice!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Right on the corner is where our company was set up. Smash car on roundabout walk over road and buy a new one.
Obviously I want to say "Smashing" but would come off less like James Bond and more like Austin Powers.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

New on Dubizzle Qatar: "87 SUPER LAXURIOUS FLAT FOR RENT AT AL SAD"

I'm there. I lav laxury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.