Reload this Page >

accommodation allowance restricted to 1 person

accommodation allowance restricted to 1 person

Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

jembo is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb accommodation allowance restricted to 1 person

Hi,

My husband and I are moving out to Dubai this summer and in the process of signing contract etc with different companies. Both companies have offered accommodation allowance but my company has implied that only one of us can take the allowance and that I would have to be on a local contract, is this correct? I have heard from other people out in Dubai already that both husband and wife have been given accommodation allowances.

I dont want to tread on anyones toes but equally i dont want to miss out on what im intitled to?

Anyone any ideas?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

skyvan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: accommodation allowance restricted to 1 person

Hi,

I will be arriving in April, but my employment contract states that only one family member can receive Accom allowance, and I must inform my employers if my wife starts work, and receives such an allowance, as well as the free flights home etc.

So I would expect it to be fairly standard for such a rule to be in place.

Of course, if one of you arrives first, then the other, then how would the companies know about each other, unless someone rats on you!

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:32 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by skyvan
Hi,

I will be arriving in April, but my employment contract states that only one family member can receive Accom allowance, and I must inform my employers if my wife starts work, and receives such an allowance, as well as the free flights home etc.

So I would expect it to be fairly standard for such a rule to be in place.

Of course, if one of you arrives first, then the other, then how would the companies know about each other, unless someone rats on you!

Good luck.
Not quite as simple i'm afraid...

If the partner is not working then the worker will have to sponsor their partner, ie: they will have to apply via their sponsor (their employer) to grant their spouse a visa. If the partner then works on their own, they will have to cancel this visa to apply for their new visa (via their new employer). Thus your employer will know if your spouse gets a job...
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jembo
Hi,
Both companies have offered accommodation allowance but my company has implied that only one of us can take the allowance and that I would have to be on a local contract, is this correct? I have heard from other people out in Dubai already that both husband and wife have been given accommodation allowances.

I dont want to tread on anyones toes but equally i dont want to miss out on what im intitled to?

Anyone any ideas?
No, it is not correct. They're being discriminatory. They have to pay YOU what you deserve and without taking into account what allowances your husband gets - that is irrelevant. Alternatively, just tell them what salary you expect - if they don't want to pay for housing/tickets/education etc then let them add back all the allowances that you are entitled to your basic pay
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

skyvan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the quick responses. I thought that it was unfair to dock one persons package just because of the spouse's.

You guys are an absolute godsend to all us newbies. Thank you so much.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

jembo is an unknown quantity at this point

cant believe how quick you guys are!!!

so i take that accomodation allowance isnt anything to do with government regulation and simply a perk that companies offer. im a teacher and the school are pressuring me to tell them my husbands situ and ive kept it vague as i was aware that my response would encourage them to put me on a local contract.

So if i come across on my husbands visa they will be none the wiser anyway?

My husband it going to Dubai about 2 months before me so would we need to apply for sepreate visas anyway????
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:48 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I think the only problem in each claiming Rent allowance is if both of you are employed byM.O. E- or any Ministry for that matter. Certainly was a stumbling block for friends of mine a while back.Avoid signing a local contract.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

dont sign a local contact, been there seen that done that

left that.....

Dont tell your company what your OH gets, its none of thier business. They should give you the package that YOU are worth..

dont ever lose sight of that as companies will try it on.....
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

If you have a government job and your spouse does also it is now illegal for you both to claim benefits - double dipping - according to my employer who is a large government employer. In the private sector it may be very different. My husband gets housing through gov funded project. When I also started working in a gov agency they maxed up my salary to the top in consideration of my background and expereince and that I was not going to be receiving allowances for housing.........don't know if this helps
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my case - we don't work for any ministry, but a majority Govt owned organisation. I get all allowances/perks same as my OH - and I don't agree that it is illegal/double-dipping - if I was told that by my employer, I'd simply quit.

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 25th 2008 at 3:12 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Not in my case - we don't work for any ministry, but a majority Govt owned organisation. I get all allowances/perks same as my OH - and I don't agree that it is illegal/double-dipping - if I was told that by my employer, I'd simply quit.

agree totally, maximising your 'family' standard of living based on you and your hubbies skills experience and knowledge....
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:10 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=IndieGirl;5981320]Not in my case - we don't work for any ministry, but a majority Govt owned organisation.

Hi IG,

If I remember correctly, your with NB? which is an LLC and quite different from being employed by The MOI- my friends' Employer -or say.. MOE.

One thing is certain -the OP needs to do more digging around to clarify entitlement.Just another 'not so clear' area of working in UAE.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Eva,

You're right - not for a Ministry. In fact both OH and I work in the same place lol...........
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:09 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twisty100
Not quite as simple i'm afraid...

If the partner is not working then the worker will have to sponsor their partner, ie: they will have to apply via their sponsor (their employer) to grant their spouse a visa. If the partner then works on their own, they will have to cancel this visa to apply for their new visa (via their new employer). Thus your employer will know if your spouse gets a job...
I work on my DH's visa (which is legal), I just needed a No Objection letter from my DH to work, in case the authorities checked up. However, I only work part-time and don't get any 'allowances', although I'm paid very well.