Accommodation

Old May 16th 2016, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Brian Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation

Hello guys,

I m in the process of negotiating for an interesting first opportunity in Dubai. The Office is 2 minutes from the World Trade Centre in Deira. Which places would you recommend to live for a person on a salary of roughly 20, 000 somewhere near the office. I am planning to drive therefore, have the flexibility.

I am planning to live in a 1 or 2 bedroom flat (obviously expecting loads of random family visitors)

Your intellect & insight will be appreciated
Old May 17th 2016, 1:27 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation

Originally Posted by Brian Jones
Hello guys,

I m in the process of negotiating for an interesting first opportunity in Dubai. The Office is 2 minutes from the World Trade Centre in Deira. Which places would you recommend to live for a person on a salary of roughly 20, 000 somewhere near the office. I am planning to drive therefore, have the flexibility.

I am planning to live in a 1 or 2 bedroom flat (obviously expecting loads of random family visitors)

It's going to depend on your standards with regards to accommodation, and what lifestyle you're looking for.

Check Dubizzle for accommodation...I'd be inclined to forget about a car and use the metro/taxis (parking could also be an issue).
Old May 17th 2016, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

There is no WTC in Deira.

The only WTC is on Sheikh Zayed Road near DIFC.

20K a month means you will have to compromise on something. The cheapest 1-bed anywhere along Sheikh Zayed from Bur Dubai out to the Marina is 70-75K and add another 10-15% on top of that for annual housing expenses such as utilities and internet. But there real challenge for people on low incomes is that rents are still payable in 1-4 cheques and you, not the landlord, pays the 5% agent's fee, and there's another 5% deposit plus multiple deposits for the internet and utilities. It adds up much more quickly than you can imagine. Then you need to kit out the place.

You an find a cheaper 1-bed out in Silicon Oasis or Sports City but you must need a car. No ifs and buts.

You'll be ok but you will need to stick to a budget and be pragmatic about where you live. I'd try to avoid owning a car as that's a big expenditure and find a place along the metro line in JLT or even one of the Marina Diamonds and take the metro to work.

May I suggest that you look at a temporary flatshare for your first six months or so before finding your own place? Flatshares usually pay monthly and it'll allow you to explore Dubai and decide on the best locations for you without committing too early into an expensive lease.

Hello guys,

Old May 17th 2016, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Hello guys,

you'll spend half if not more, just on accommodation.
Old May 19th 2016, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
As others have said you will spend half your money just on rent if you want a 2 bedroom flat near Deira or the World Trade Centre (which is not in Deira).

You might find a 1 bedroom at a better rate but not near WTC. Perhaps in Bur Dubai though - there are lots of places around Bur Juman which are older but have parking and tend to be a good size.

Ask yourself how often people will visit and why they need to stay with you rather than in a hotel. We took a larger place for a lot more rent and ended up hardly using the spare rooms. Dead money - we could have easily put up visitors in decent hotels nearby for less.

N.

yep me too....I took 2 bed aprts for the first 3 years while being out here...complete waste of money.

If you seek a large enough 1 bed aprt, you can always find space to put up people....although, granted, not for too long.
Old May 19th 2016, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
yep me too....I took 2 bed aprts for the first 3 years while being out here...complete waste of money.

If you seek a large enough 1 bed aprt, you can always find space to put up people....although, granted, not for too long.
I have a two bed - don't think all my stuff would fit in a one bed... they are like rabbit hutches.

Where do you dry the clothes etc in a one bed?

Last edited by Millhouse; May 19th 2016 at 1:32 pm.
Old May 20th 2016, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I have a two bed - don't think all my stuff would fit in a one bed... they are like rabbit hutches.

on the balcony!
Old May 20th 2016, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Brian Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all, for your input. Didn't realize that 20, 000 AED was a low salary. Maybe I need to even ask for more. I am on £50, 000 pa here in UK. How much should I ask for for the move to make sense ?

I am now inclined to look in either JLT, Greens or Bur Dubai or Even Motor City

thanx guys
Old May 20th 2016, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

thank you all, for your input. Didn't realize that 20, 000 AED was a low salary. Maybe I need to even ask for more. I am on £50, 000 pa here in UK. How much should I ask for for the move to make sense ?

I am now inclined to look in either JLT, Greens or Bur Dubai or Even Motor City

thanx guys
Looks like you are taking a pay cut.

I would not move for less than 50k AED a month if i was on 50K in the UK. It is an expensive place to live out here...
Old May 21st 2016, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Or use 20k as your base salary and make sure that provision for accom, flights. medical and school is added on top ( you may be here longer than you think!). As other seem to think 120k is the basic amount needed (to cover a 80 - 100k flat) I'd start with that.
Old May 22nd 2016, 5:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

On the second balcony.
Old May 22nd 2016, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MILL you'd be surprised as to how big you can get 1 bed aprts - my current aprt one is almost 1600 sq ft - including a decent size balcony. I can easily sleep 3-4 people in my living room alone, without them being on top of one another, and can easily fit another handful on the balcony if needed
Old May 22nd 2016, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
MILL you'd be surprised as to how big you can get 1 bed aprts - my current aprt one is almost 1600 sq ft - including a decent size balcony. I can easily sleep 3-4 people in my living room alone, without them being on top of one another, and can easily fit another handful on the balcony if needed
I'm still waiting for my sleep over invite.
Old May 22nd 2016, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

The balcony awaits your presence
Old May 22nd 2016, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd invite you but I'm only 25 floors up and it won't be enough stairs for you to climb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.